Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2017, 06:44 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Under capacity motorhome hitch

Am I legal to put a larger hitch on? As long as I stay under the gross combination weight rating.
My unload vehicle weight is 21,000 pounds.
My maximum caring capacity is 5350 pounds.
So my gross vehicle weight rating is 26,300 .
My trailer hitch has a 5000 pounds capacity.
So stay with me now, that brings the gross combination weight rating to 31,350.
Now if I put a heavier hitch on of higher towing capacity say 8000 pounds.
So as long as my gross is still under 31, 350 pounds, am I still legal that is the question?
With my wife and I and the motorhome loaded we were at 23,000 pounds.
So I have plenty a room to put a heavier hitch on and pull something over 5000 pounds and be under my 31,350 pounds .
At least that's the way I see it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
daledrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I think you can put any size hitch on that you want. Some use a heavier hitch than what they can safely pull because of the terrain the pull in (not many RVs). The only way you will have a problem with the law is if you get caught exceding your combined vehicle weight not what your hitch is rated for. If you don't have a warranty to worry about go for it!
Hufficon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:17 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hufficon View Post
I think you can put any size hitch on that you want. Some use a heavier hitch than what they can safely pull because of the terrain the pull in (not many RVs). The only way you will have a problem with the law is if you get caught exceding your combined vehicle weight not what your hitch is rated for. If you don't have a warranty to worry about go for it!

Thank you, that's the way I look at it I know in my book it says that the trailer can be no more than 5000 pounds but a highway patrol would never look in my book. So now I have to decide whether or not to get a dolly that steers which is kind of pricey or go with the Towbar brake and the brake set up with the light set up. All of that gets rather expensive and confusing. The tow dolly would be a sweet setup .
With the base plate and the towbar the brakes the lights all of that gets rather confusing. Trying to figure out which combination would be the right way to go its hard to figure out. And then you figure in the different manufacturers of all of these parts. If I had a blank check book and someone else to do all the install they wouldn't be so difficult.
I think I'm going to put a 10,000 pound hitch on it and that would leave me open to toe any size vehicle that I may want to. Who knows what's going to happen in the future. I may have a large vehicle to pull behind it at least then I would have the availability to do so.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:26 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The frame that you're going to bolt the hitch to may not be rated for that kind of weight. Oftentimes the coach builder will weld on chassis extensions to the frame, you may want to see if that is the case with yours.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is the case with this motorhome I have checked it out and it has one main frame that comes back almost to the motor. Another section of frame that carries the motor and then another piece that goes to the trailer hitch itself. I figure if I take it into a professional shop and have them install a 10,000 pound hitch, with Frame sections that reach clear forward and bolt to the original frame I would be good.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:59 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All of those frames sections are bolted together. There are no welds.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:04 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only answer I would half way trust would be from the chassis manufacturer after giving them the VIN when asking the question.

Maybe if they've put on heavier hitches in the past they could let you know who made them.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
The only answer I would half way trust would be from the chassis manufacturer after giving them the VIN when asking the question.

Maybe if they've put on heavier hitches in the past they could let you know who made them.

You may find what I did, the manufacturer is very reluctant to offer any information other than what is currently on the coach. Makes them liable if something happens.
My 2 cents worth, tow dollies are a pain in the back side depending on what vehicle you are towing. If it's hot or raining by the time I have my vehicle strapped on I'm soaking wet and need a shower. By the time I drive onto the dolly and grab the tie down straps, I'm getting back in the coach towing with a tow bar. You are 100% correct the cost to legally tow 4 down is more expensive.
jim27358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome