Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submustang View Post
My Tradewinds had a similar plastic frame. I found that if I pitched it, a 32 would just fit between the cabinet doors on each side. I found an angled mount, attached it to a piece of 3/4 plywood across the opening and mounted the TV almost flush with the slope of the front cabinet.
Ditto, a 32" LG LED TV fits perfectly after removing the 26" RCA from my '04 Dolphin. (awesome TV btw - can be viewed from all angles in the mhome)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2011, 07:01 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submustang View Post
My Tradewinds had a similar plastic frame. I found that if I pitched it, a 32 would just fit between the cabinet doors on each side. I found an angled mount, attached it to a piece of 3/4 plywood across the opening and mounted the TV almost flush with the slope of the front cabinet.
How did you attach the plywood to the frame of the cabinet? It sounds like you put the plywood on the outside of the cabinet rather than the inside. Is that correct?
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninvic View Post
Ditto, a 32" LG LED TV fits perfectly after removing the 26" RCA from my '04 Dolphin. (awesome TV btw - can be viewed from all angles in the mhome)
I used aluminum angle to form a frame and attached the tv using its vesa mount holes. This left a big cavity behind the LED TV - I made a subwoofer box and mounted it using same aluminum angle behind the TV with the sub facing down.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:20 AM   #18
mjp

National RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASA View Post
I am very interested is seeing your pictures. I also have an 03 LX and have been looking for ways to install an HD flat screen in the front. The plastic trim has always been a problem in trying to come up with a neat install. I had always envisioned removing all the plastic and then trying to frame the opening in some way. Maybe I can forget removing the plastic when I see your pictures.

How much of problem did you have in removing the old TV? Just looking it appears heavy; a two man lift to get it out. Any specific problems I should be aware of?
Thanks,
Duane
Here is what I did last year to our 2003 8380 LX for a 32 inch LED installation in the MH. I decided to keep the plastic since it wraps around the bottom of the overhead console.

Removed Plastic trim. Unplug the TV from the outlet found in the AV bay.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glass to LED 1 irv2.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	8409

Unscrew the two top attachment clips. Remove the two TV mounting screws on the bottom of the baseplate. Unbolt the front two bolts and loosen the rear two bolts on the base plate. Keep these four bolts for reuse. Remove the TV carefully due to it's size and weight. I was able to complete this by myself. When done the TV bay will look something like this.

Name:	Glass to LED 2 irv2.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	8410

Unbolted existing baseplate for reuse. Shown in this postion only for the photo.

Name:	Glass to LED 3 irv2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	8411

I use a fully articulating style mount. The mount is bolted the baseplate. The baseplate is relocated to be vertical using the existing steel frame in the TV bay. Baseplate location will be determined by the individual TV and mount being used. Mark the location of the baseplate four mount points and drill. Mount the baseplate into the new location.

Name:	Glass to LED 4 irv2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	8412
This allows for the enitre TV to be positioned 16 inches either side of centerline of the MH. The screen can be viewed even when the living room slide is retracted. Works well on the extended stops while traveling.

Reinstall the plastic trim, mount the LED TV on the articulating mount.

Name:	Glass to LED 5 irv2.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	8413
The LED TV in the retracted position does sit in front of the original plastic trim. Do to the thin nature of LED TV it is not in the way of driver or passenger. The edge of the cabinet doors just rub the edge of the TV. I trimed the left and right veritcal edge of the TV a 1/16 and everything is good. Also while completing this project, I also installed a matching Blu-Ray player in the AV Bay.

Safe Travels
Old 02-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #19
Lit

National RV Owners Club
Nice job, photo's are extremely helpful, I'll be doing mine when the weather is warmer. I already purchased a 32" LCD Samsung I'll be installing in the place of the RCA. I'll also install a mini amplifier with 2 external speakers, volume on the TV is always hard to hear.
Just what is that cable in the center going into the roof? I know it's attached to a antenna that's on the roof, I never did figure out what it's for.

Enjoy
Lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit View Post
Just what is that cable in the center going into the roof? I know it's attached to a antenna that's on the roof, I never did figure out what it's for.

Enjoy
Both the TV antenna and satellite cable go to the distribution box in your entertainment center. Another goes to the back TV in the bedroom or other area. And still another goes to your XM also mounted just in front of the radio antenna. Of course, I'm assuming that MJ and mine are the same in cable layout.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #21
mjp

National RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit View Post
Nice job, photo's are extremely helpful, I'll be doing mine when the weather is warmer. I already purchased a 32" LCD Samsung I'll be installing in the place of the RCA. I'll also install a mini amplifier with 2 external speakers, volume on the TV is always hard to hear.

Enjoy

Lit,

The two cable just right of center line going to roof are for the TracVision satellite dome. Like YosemiteBobR I also have the standard FM antenna and XM antennas mounted on the front. The rest of the cables are to the aft TV location, one for off the air (broadcast) and the second for the second satellite reciever. This spring I will be adding a dedicated low profile GPS antenna.

Safe Travels
Old 03-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Photos of my 32" LED TV Install in a 2004 Dolphin 5320

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninvic View Post
Removed old clunker, removed steel tv frame, built a frame from aluminum angle metal and attached TV using the VESA mount holes. Built and installed a sub woofer box behind the TV with sub facing down. Cut hole in existing lower panel and attached speaker grille cloth. TV audio runs through audio deck to external speakers installed below TV as well as coach speaker system.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	04DolphinTV1.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	8589   Click image for larger version

Name:	04DolphinTV2.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	8590  

Name:	04DolphinTV3.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	8591   Click image for larger version

Name:	04DolphinRadio.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	8593  

Old 03-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Sweet!

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #24

New TV

When we bought our 2001 38' Sportscoach last fall it had the same old analog TV. We did a similar replacement like you all did; fixed wall mount, modified the old frame, and installed a 32" LED. Something to consider if you are looking for a TV to do this project; an LED is much thinner(about 1 1/2" thick compared to 4" for an LCD) and the LED weighs less than 10 pounds. This makes the installation much easier. We also notice that the picture is sharper because the back lighting is LED not florecent. DACOTAH
Dacotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #25
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We're going to be re-doing our TV's within the next month or so. I REALLY like the LED TV's. A bit more expensive, but the picture seems so much sharper & since they are so much thinner & weigh even less than the LCD's, I'm considering putting the bigger one on an inside wall instead of above the dash where the CRT one was.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #26

Our coach is an Itasca Horizon and the front TV is a 25" RCA in a metal cage. I am changing it out for a 32" Sony Flat Screen. My problem at this point is that I cannot get the old tv out of the metal box. I have removed the two bolts from the strap holding it in but it will not come out of the front hole. Has anyone had this experience that could share a solution with me?
jonmarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #27

This was great explanation as to how to take out the TV. The plate that the TV sat on has some sort of a bracket welded on it. It might be for a holder of a flat panel TV. My RV is a Sea Breeze 2004... THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!
xeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice work. I keep thinking about doing a 32 inch in our 2005 Dolphin but just never seem to pull the trigger. I think there may have to be more on TV that I want to watch maybe. You did a great job and took at least 50lbs of weight off of the coach.
Cheers
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote