Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Upgrades

National owners may be interested in upgrades I've been making to my 2001 National Marlin DP.

Photos can be found at

Flickr: zzjea's Photostream

Select "Sets" just above the photos for groups of work done.

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
You are my kind of Guy! You can make as big a mess as I can!
Did you have to disassemble the panel opposite the fridge to get it in the hole or for some other reason?
Is the new fridge deck sitting on the furnace box or do you still have some clearance?
I like the new blocks on the slide. Did you jack the slide up to work on it?
And do you put the wood strips down every time you retract the slide to protect the floor? Vegas Dan posted that he scratched his floor initially and I do not know if he ever solved the problem.
Great pictures. Thanks for posting them.
Mike
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRuth View Post
You are my kind of Guy! You can make as big a mess as I can!
Did you have to disassemble the panel opposite the fridge to get it in the hole or for some other reason?
Is the new fridge deck sitting on the furnace box or do you still have some clearance?
I like the new blocks on the slide. Did you jack the slide up to work on it?
And do you put the wood strips down every time you retract the slide to protect the floor? Vegas Dan posted that he scratched his floor initially and I do not know if he ever solved the problem.
Great pictures. Thanks for posting them.
Mike
Thanks. Check out my answers on the Class A Forum, Upgrades to My Motorhome.

The hallway was widened 2" to give more space to install the new fridge and to give a little more space in the hallway. The door handles add about 2.5" to the depth. It might not be needed but now I'm glad it is a little wider.

The plastic blocks are inside on the sub floor. The flooring was put in around them and they are about 1/4" higher than the flooring. The vinyl planks are laid down each time I retract the slide to protect the wood floor. It would be scratched significantly if not done.

Vegasdan put throw rugs down to cover the scratches. If he had known it would happen, I'm sure he would have used something like the vinyl planks. The planks are sturdy enough to take the weight of the slide and not buckle when used.

John
Old 11-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Dining area modifications

John:
Your post in the other thread mentions you are going to do something behind the table soon.
This is what I did.
We installed a washer/dryer so we lost the space we used as a pantry, among other things.
I cut 12 inches off of the table and built this cabinet exactly 12 inches deep so the table footprint stayed exactly as original. I added 6 inches to the cutoff table piece and made it into an 18 inch leaf. The table now seat four comfortably. I store the leaf against the back wall of the closet in a pair of brackets I fabricated to retain it securely. It does not interfere with cloths storage. The drawers are on glides that allow them to pull all the way out so there is no reaching or shoving when accessing goods.
It works for us!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old table 5.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	50473   Click image for larger version

Name:	All done.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	50474  

Name:	Right side pantry.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	50475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Table now has an 18 inch leaf.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	50476  

Name:	The booze locker.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	50478  
Old 11-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRuth View Post
John:
Your post in the other thread mentions you are going to do something behind the table soon.
This is what I did.
We installed a washer/dryer so we lost the space we used as a pantry, among other things.
I cut 12 inches off of the table and built this cabinet exactly 12 inches deep so the table footprint stayed exactly as original. I added 6 inches to the cutoff table piece and made it into an 18 inch leaf. The table now seat four comfortably. I store the leaf against the back wall of the closet in a pair of brackets I fabricated to retain it securely. It does not interfere with cloths storage. The drawers are on glides that allow them to pull all the way out so there is no reaching or shoving when accessing goods.
It works for us!
Mike,

I wanted to do this exact thing but could not figure how to go about it. Can you give me details about how you did it? I would like to do exactly the same king of thing. If you could provide details and pics. I would get started on this project. I have a lot of questions. If you have the time, I would be very interested in your advice either here or a PM.

Thanks

John
Old 11-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
John:
I would be pleased to assist any way I can.
I have some other construction pictures and I can take more as well as give you all the dimensions for everything. I am sending you a private e-mail so we can exchange phone numbers. I talk faster than I type!
Mike

P.S. If anybody else is interested, let me know! I think the cabinet makes excellent use of a dead space.
I have attached a couple of pictures of the box under construction.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new cabinet.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	50535   Click image for larger version

Name:	new cabinet 2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	50536