Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
upgrading Atwood water heater to gas/elec model ??

My current Atwood G6A-8E water heater has started to act up. I've cleaned out the burners, cleaned all the electrical connections and had it exorcized recently. At 15 years old, it is starting to become less reliable and I don't want to start replacing the expensive parts (controller card or gas valve).

I can replace it with the same model or upgrade possibly. The dual mode propane/120V electric model GC6AA-10E looks like the same box, but offers a 120V electrical element also. When on full hook-up, it can run off shore power and run propane otherwise.

Anyone out there do this upgrade?????

regards,
Karl
2013 Fiat 500C Toad
Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Forgot to mention the existing water heater is the Propane-only 6 gallon unit many of the National rigs came standard with in this era.

Karl
2013 Fiat 500C Toad
Old 03-15-2015, 05:17 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
upgrading LP water heater to LP/elec model ??

I'm re-posting this from the Class A forum due to no response....hopefully a National owner may have ideas.....

My current 6 gallon Atwood (G6A-8E) water heater has started to act up. I've cleaned out the burners, cleaned all the electrical connections and had it exorcized recently. At 15 years old, it is starting to become less reliable and I don't want to start replacing the expensive parts (controller card or gas valve).

I can replace it with the same model or upgrade possibly. Atwood offers a dual mode propane/120V electric model (GC6AA-10E) that looks like the same box, but has an electrical heating element as well. When on full hook-up, it can heat water from shore power. Otherwise, it runs on propane like the original.

Anyone out there do this upgrade????? Or have ideas???

regards,
Karl
2013 Fiat 500C Toad
Old 03-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #4

I have not changed one out. We traded motorhomes instead. I find the electric well worth it as it cuts back on propane usage. From what I see the swap out is not bad and done mostly from the outside. You do need to add a 120 VAC connection and switch where it is convenient. You also want a pilot light to tell you the tank power is on. I would add a powered outlet box and put a plug cord on the water heater so I could pull the plug when the unit did not have water in it. YMMV.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:44 PM   #5
Commercial Member

While the pictures of the 6 and 10'gal. Models look the same, check the actual dimensions as I was thinking the 10 gal model was a little bigger.

And has already been said you'll need a 120v circuit and the control switch wiring. Those may be the hard part.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:20 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
The LP/elec model I was looking at is the same 6 gallon size I have now. The spec sheets show the same box dimensions.

Atwood offers a dual (LP or elec) switch which (most likely) drives a relay at the 120 volt outlet if you choose elec mode. It fires the propane if you choose LP mode just like the original. I think it is an either/or situation where both modes cannot be on simultaneously. I would need to installed a relay-switched 120 Volt receptacle and snake a new control wire from the hall switch panel to the relay as well.

Hope someone out there has done this one before or considered it.

Karl
2013 Fiat 500C Toad
Old 03-18-2015, 06:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
The LP/elec model I was looking at is the same 6 gallon size I have now. The spec sheets show the same box dimensions.

Atwood offers a dual (LP or elec) switch which (most likely) drives a relay at the 120 volt outlet if you choose elec mode. It fires the propane if you choose LP mode just like the original. I think it is an either/or situation where both modes cannot be on simultaneously. I would need to installed a relay-switched 120 Volt receptacle and snake a new control wire from the hall switch panel to the relay as well.

Hope someone out there has done this one before or considered it.

Karl
We have dual fuel on ours. Other threads indicate it is either or/both. Each have their own switch on ours so I leave the AC on and the gas off when traveling. If we are boondocking then I turn on the gas as I need it. Either system heats the water fast enough to suit us so I have not tried both. If the tank is hot we can stop for lunch with enough hot water for a rinse and stack and hand washing without turning on the gas.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Nothermark,

Thanks for the reply.

Was your dual 6 gallon Atwood standard from the RV manufacturer, or did someone retro-fit it as a replacement of the original? Also, what rig do you have?

Karl
2013 Fiat 500C Toad
Old 03-20-2015, 04:44 AM   #9

It's a standard installation. It seems to be fairly common on the newer units. Both switches are on the central panel where the readouts are. I have not looked to see if there is a relay near the tank. The general feel of the setup would lead me to expect there is. There is a version in the parts list.

If you have not looked try this link for pictures and parts:

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/...rPartsList.pdf

Tags
atwood, gas, heater, water, water heater