Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #1

Our Dolphin has 16" steel wheels, with 235-series tires. Presumably it came with them. They look ridiculous ("Man, those are some tiny wheels!" said the fellow at the KOA who was filling our LP just today, in fact...), and I worry that the moho is somewhat under-tired. Has anyone upsized wheels on a Dolphin, or have any experience doing so?
The Incorrigible Dirigible is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #2

Our Dolphin has 16" steel wheels, with 235-series tires. Presumably it came with them. They look ridiculous ("Man, those are some tiny wheels!" said the fellow at the KOA who was filling our LP just today, in fact...), and I worry that the moho is somewhat under-tired. Has anyone upsized wheels on a Dolphin, or have any experience doing so?
Old 12-09-2008, 01:55 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In the area of the drivers compartment you should find a manufactures sticker with the tire size and psi. Someone else will come along with additional information.
Good Luck
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:03 AM   #4

The size of the tire is dependent on the gross weight of the motorhome. My 1995 34' diesel pusher is right at 19,000 lbs on the scales with fuel and water tanks full. It weighs right around 21,000 lbs ready to go with food and clothes and stuff loaded. Mine has 8R19.5 Load range D tires on it. It is possible to put a wider tire on the front but I can't do that on the back because of the required space between the tandem rear tires. The problem with the 8R19.5 is that there is not too much of a selection of tires available. Right now I have Goodyear G647 tires on it but I will not use them again because they just can't take the roll of the high motorhome and are getting a weird wear pattern. The Goodyear factory rep said they were more designed for an emergency vehicle rather than a RV which is opposite to what is listed in their catalog. I have had both axles aligned and it still doesn't help. The older Goodyears that were on it before were great and never showed wear. Next time it will be the Michelin tires and again they only offer one model for that size. I can answer you any other questions on that year Dolphin tires and can take pictures if required. Also, if you decide to switch to 8R19.5 tires I can tell you exactly what size you can use on th efront and exavtly what Michelin tire is best.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:50 AM   #5

Thanks, Mike. Ours is a front-engined 533 and scales out at just over 17,200lbs with everything loaded. Since the wheels are stock, I assume we don't have to go larger. I was just wondering if it's possible and/or easy. Obviously we'd want to keep the rolling diameter of the wheel relatively close, to reduce speedometer error.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #6

Where are you located??? If you are close to Atlanta or are coming through some time you are more than welcome to compare the wheels or try on my spare for size to see if it fits OK.

You can call me at 678.777.3672 or email me directly at mike.canter45@yahoo.com.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #7

Mike,

We fulltime, and we actually just drove through Atlanta! We're in Savannah for part of this week, then headed back through the ATL later this week on our way to Birmingham. I'll send email when I know our schedule, if you've got time to show me your wheels. That would be extremely helpful!
Old 12-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #8

No problem. I am actually just NW of Atlanta in Marietta. Let me know