Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2016, 08:00 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Urgent request for help on TV install

I am in the middle of a replacement project on my motorhome. I have removed the old CRT set and am ready to install new 32" flat TV. Removal work all done and now deciding on mounting of new tv. Need to make decision quickly. Trying to decide whether to fix mount tv directly on a wood panel inside the opening, or to place on a mounting bracke in the opening. Part of me says that solid mount, so screen is at same position the old set was is preferable, but that would have the tv mounted at a slight angle (to optimized viewing when sitting) like the old, to accomplish that is easy enough, but I am worried about the mounting holes in the set, they are clearly designed for sheer strength, but I wonder the angle would put excess stress on the mounting holes, on the other hand since it is ok to mount them on tilt mounts I guess that is not an issue. If I put the tv on a full motion mount, I fear that the tv would move about when driving. I suppose I could put strap on to restrain.

Curious what others have done here. Pictures if available would help greatly too.

Thanks
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 08:58 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
First search this (National RV) area for replacing the TV.

Second, here is a documnet I found very useful (attached)
Attached Files
File Type: doc Removing the front TV in an 05 Dolphin.doc (33.5 KB, 114 views)
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:13 AM   #3

I do not have a motor home, but we did change the TV mount for improve viewing on our 5th wheel. I purchase a TV mount from TVforMYRV.com He advertise on this site here. The mount we bought plus supporting plate for TV will lock in place for travel. The mount is made by MORryde part number TV1-006 and the plate also by MORryde part number 24-0113 TV1-008. Total cast was under $175. and will worth it.
I would call them and see if they can help you?
Old 09-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I replaced mine in my 2000 Seabreeze. It might be the same as yours. Go to:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/cant...le-222859.html

There are pictures posted on that thread of what I did. We are very pleased with the way ours turned out. And we can swing the TV over to a better angle for viewing from the couch.

If you look at the pictures, you will see that I moved the electric plug and antenna hookups from the side cabinet to behind the TV. This also gave me room to put the Dish receiver in that cabinet. They give off a lot of heat and this gave room for the heat to disperse.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:59 AM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I do not have a motor home, but we did change the TV mount for improve viewing on our 5th wheel. I purchase a TV mount from TVforMYRV.com He advertise on this site here. The mount we bought plus supporting plate for TV will lock in place for travel. The mount is made by MORryde part number TV1-006 and the plate also by MORryde part number 24-0113 TV1-008. Total cast was under $175. and will worth it.
I would call them and see if they can help you?
Thanks for the endorsement
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:09 AM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
We do have a two videos which show most of our TV mounts in action. You can see those on the TV Mounts Page.
Of course there are some new products which came out after we did the videos, and is you have any questions you are welcome to call.

877-577-8901
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure I would ever consider a tv decision an urgent decision

but I would suggest a mounting or pivoting arm that allows you to pivot the tv out for better viewing and to utilize the storage space behind it... but yet get a locking arm to limit vibration and movement...
(maybe put heavy duty velcro on the four back sides to help lock it in place too)

good luck on your emergency
Old 09-14-2016, 08:56 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
uploading pix to this site is a 4 step hassle, so I'll describe how I solved the problem. Rear Tv needed to sit an angle across a 90 degree corner. So I cut some 4" red oak square blocks. then I notched them with 2"x2" front openings at the appropriate angle to fit the tv. Drilled 2 holes in the front of each block and used screws to attach them to the wall with oak plugs to hide the screws. I decided to use some drape rod brackets with adjustable clamps to hold the top that I painted black. I lined the inside of both the bottom brackets and the top clamps with some thin foam. The TV sits on the brackets pinned to the wall so it doesn't slide from side to side at all. Purchased a 12v computer power source so it runs off 12v for boondocking.

FIL made the same kind of brackets for his front TV which was larger than the old crt hole. Used foam rubber on the inside surface to keep it from sliding side to side when driving. He mounted these on the old frame as far apart as possible, then used filler pieces for the top and bottom to hide the space left by the old CRT. His TV clears both doors. Both of us have driven about 15k miles with no problems with either tv breaking or moving.

Another friend wanted an even larger unit, so he removed the hinges of the driver side cabinet door and installed 4 push latches (cheap cabinet door catch) so he could still remove it with the new tv in place. It is off center but still very usable. Space behind is just empty, new cabinet door is a bit of a hassle so only stuff unfrequently used is stored in there.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I find uploading pics easy if you select "Go Advanced", manage attachments, and browse/select your pics to upload:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	138942  
Old 09-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #10

TV Install

The pictures show how I installed our flat screen. The fabricated angle bracket that holds the tv has a swivel mount that allows tv to be removed from the mount. The base is screwed and glued to the original box. The entire assembly will slide in/out for hook up and wiring. The sound bar fills the bottom space and provides good sound. The sound bar is remove to tighten the slide stud nuts.

Very sturdy going down the road. Quite inexpensive to fabricate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TV 01.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	138946   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV 02.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	138947  

Name:	TV 10.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	138948   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV 04.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	138949  

Name:	TV 06.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	138950   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV 05.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	138951  

vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Not sure I would ever consider a tv decision an urgent decision

but I would suggest a mounting or pivoting arm that allows you to pivot the tv out for better viewing and to utilize the storage space behind it... but yet get a locking arm to limit vibration and movement...
(maybe put heavy duty velcro on the four back sides to help lock it in place too)

good luck on your emergency
Urgent due to circumstances, don't need lecture to boot!
Old 09-14-2016, 11:31 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
The pictures show how I installed our flat screen. The fabricated angle bracket that holds the tv has a swivel mount that allows tv to be removed from the mount. The base is screwed and glued to the original box. The entire assembly will slide in/out for hook up and wiring. The sound bar fills the bottom space and provides good sound. The sound bar is remove to tighten the slide stud nuts.

Very sturdy going down the road. Quite inexpensive to fabricate.
When I replaced the CRT TVinour '02 DSDP I took out the metal. padded box and built a new one that was shorter so gave more head clearance. I left the TV slightly out and the new box helped project the sound out. A sound bar would have been a better solution though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:04 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
I mounted the TV directly to the back side of the wooden cabinet. No mounting kit required. With the wooden cabinet out and lying face down, I layed the TV in place from the back side and secured in place by fastening some trim wood prices(door casing) pressed against the rear TV cabinet edges. The gap above the TV was filled with the same type of wood as the cabinet. The Tv I used was also just the right width to fit into the cabinet from behind. Note also in my installation, I cut a few inches off the cabinet so it didn't stick out as much, but then had to make a matching wood piece to cover the opening in the ceiling above the TV.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:55 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post
I mounted the TV directly to the back side of the wooden cabinet. No mounting kit required. With the wooden cabinet out and lying face down, I layed the TV in place from the back side and secured in place by fastening some trim wood prices(door casing) pressed against the rear TV cabinet edges. The gap above the TV was filled with the same type of wood as the cabinet. The Tv I used was also just the right width to fit into the cabinet from behind. Note also in my installation, I cut a few inches off the cabinet so it didn't stick out as much, but then had to make a matching wood piece to cover the opening in the ceiling above the TV.
Thanks for photo, it is essentially what I have done, now trying to deal with installing sound bar too. Since speakers are in cabinet now.

I will post picts when done

Tags
install