Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #1

Question Using Inverter w/crock pot while driving

We have an 05 SeaBreeze LX by National. We want to use our crockpot while driving. Can our inverter handle it? Anyone know?
Nancy & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #2

Our inverter is an Xantrex, Freedom 458. Thanks!
Nancy & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
I run a small dorm frig, the big Norcold 1200 and a small crock pot
without a problem. Check your inverting voltage, if it goes below 12.6 volts,
you are drawing more power than the alternator is supplying, and you are
using batteries.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Xantrex Freedom 458 manual

According to the Xantrex Freedom 458 users guide, the device has 3 functions:

1 – DC to AC power inverting
2 – Automatic switching between converting DC to AC and switching to shore power AC
3 – Automatic battery charging

The 1000 watt model produces a maximum of 50 amps; the 2000 watt model has a maximum output of 100 amps.

So as long as the total load doesn’t exceed the maximum load all is well. To calculate use the formula power in watts = amperage X voltage. The voltage is 120 and you can read the amperage from the label on the device or its box. Do this for all the devices and add the results. For example a device that draws 2 amps uses 240 watts.

See attached Xantrex manual.

If a device or a collection of devices don't cause the circuit breakers to pop when you are on shore power, the inverter can probably handle the load. The question is how long the batteries will last. Running the generator every now and again should help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Freedom 458 InverterCharger (445-0193-01-01_rev-2).pdf (594.0 KB, 125 views)
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #5

We have done it many times. The wattage on slow cook low is only about 70-200 watts depending on model and size. Your 100-150 amp alternator can easily keep up with that.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just curious, were do you intend to place the crockpot while traveling? Sounds like it could be a missile with hot side effects...just sayin'.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would place the crock pot in the sink and wedge some non-combustible material, to hold it in place.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman
I would place the crock pot in the sink and wedge some non-combustible material, to hold it in place.

ken
X2. We've done it often. Great way to prepare ribs.
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can your inverter handle it?

300 watt likely not
1,000 watt very likely
Bigger yes

To figure it out there are two steps.

Step one is to turn the crock pot over, On teh bottom should be some printing.. Very likely molded into the base, "850 watts" or something like that (NOTE: I pulled that number out of thin air, it does not mean it will be 850) add around 20 percent, round off and that's how much inverter you need (750-850 a 1KW inverter will handle)

If the inverter is EXACTLY the size of the crock pot.. it's doubtful. Needs to be at least 10-20 percent bigger than the load.

Oh, method 2 of how to find out how much inverter.. The Kill-a-watt method

Plug it into a kill-a-watt and press the WATTS button.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

ken
Wonder where the lid would end up in a panic stop? Ours just sits loose on the crock.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd look and make sure the watts that the crock pot pulls is low enough for the inverter.
I have under the hood of my Jeep a small box that is heated to about 160-180 while I drive. it is directly behind the cooling fan and the air from the radiator hits it.
I have used it for years.
I am building a larger box with heater hoses hooked to it that would hold quite a bit more. This box is for my custom RV. and will sit under the side. it will have a door with a latch. it should run about the same temp as coolant(180F).
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Using Inverter w/crock pot while driving

We tried to use our invetor while traveling but foun out the out lets at the kitchen are were not working. The invertor was on;t powering the front TV and rear TV. Had the local Rv shop check in to the probldm. Found that the Invertor was notr installed correctly. Invertor installation was corrected now we can cook while driving. One proble with cookong while driving. What ever is in the crockpot really make me hungry.

Bob and Mary
RWDMLD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife cooked with a crock pot at sea when we were in bad weather., the top never came off and some times the boat would really moving fast in all directions . I loved a hot meal when it was rough.
Bob Bazley
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #14

We put ours in the sink and that solves the panic stop problem. Have never had a problem with the cover coming off though we use a large rubber band from the handles on the side over the top of the cover and that secures it very well.

Tags
inverter