RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #1

Want a king size bed!

Hi All,

Has anyone put a king size bed in their 5355 or other Dolphin? Do you have pix or any advise on the project?

Thanks, Howard

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thinking and writing.

We have a 6355 and just looking at the suggestion it would mean giving up your bedside stands and the room on the left side of the bed and much of it on the right. I cannot imagine how you would make the bed or walk around it very well.

You would need to do some rerouting of the electrical and phone lines serving these stands.

I imagine you would need to remake the lift up under the mattress and in doing so you also lose easy access to the drawers underneath. Sheer weight may eliminate the desire to have lift up storage anyway.

A California king is 4" longer so if it is length you are seeking then I think you would not be able to close your slide on this model unless you do a major remodel on the closet area.

MY advise is; A King is 76 X 80 get a tape measure and see if you see what I see, then determine if it is really that important. Anyone could tear enough out of there to get the mattress in, but is it worth it?

Personally I would not do this even though I fight for space with the dog every night. I'd rather fight than switch.

Fifth wheels have King Size beds some of them.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #3

Rexhall Owners Group
A regular king bed is 76 or 78 wide. That's way too wide for a typical RV.
The California King we have in our home is 72 x 84. That's 12 inches wider and 10 inches longer than the RV Queen*in our trailer. We bought a 12 x 74 piece of foam and laid it between the mattress and back wall. With a mattress topper it's quite comfortable. Making the bed is challenging but at least I sleep better.

When we buy our motorhome, if it doesn't come with a king bed, we will make a bed. All I want is an additional 6 to 12 inches in width. Some bedrooms can accommodate an additional 6 inches of width without modification. Unfortunately they don't make mattress in the size I'm interested in. At least not for what I'm willing to pay. Our plan is to purchase a piece of foam cut to our specs. Then we will simply place a good quality memory foam topper on it. The difficult part is getting the custom foam so that it is not too firm or soft. That will require some experimentation. Custom foam can be had for appr. $200.00. The topper will add another $150 or so depending on size. Toppers can be trimmed with an electric knife.

Good luck.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #4

Ok guys, thanks for the comments. Yes, it would be a California King or just an inch or two shorter. I've got room for a longer mattress. It'll slide under the closet without a problem.

Regards, Howard
Old 01-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
You sure our 06 5355 with the original full queen is right up against the cabinets under the closets when closed?

2006 Dolphin 5355 Future CC owner
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:58 PM   #6

I just took a look and I have an inch or two before the mattress would hit the closet. I'll relook the option of a king in that spot.