RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Want to add some insulation to Quiet engine noise

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on quieting the engine area, I know there are some pricey foams but I thought that someone must have done something all ready. Maybe some lead foam,but hate to add much weight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #2

DP or gas? the insulation has to be matched to the frequency. DPs seem to be much lower in frequency and I've heard the loaded materials used in car audio work well, although enough to cover the inside of the bed box and the underside of the rear of the coach is pretty pricey.

VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This for a 460 Ford.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
My MH has a Ford V10 with doghouse/engine cover between the driver and passenger seats. I think this is probably the configuration you have and want to add a little quiet to. I recently added a layer of Dynamat Extreme sound deadener to the under side of the engine cover, followed by a layer of Dynamat 3/4" hoodliner installed on top of the sound deadener. So far I'm very pleased with the result. The sound level is noticeably quieter and my wife and I can usually hear what the other is saying on the first try now. Both layers were self adhesive and total time to clean the mounting surface and install was not much over an hour. I bought 2 kits, one Dynamat 10435 12" x 36" x 0.067" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener with Xtreme Door Kit and one Dynamat 11905 Hoodliner 32" x 54" x 3/4" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener. Total cost was about $110 from Amazon. There was enough material in each kit to cover the underside of the engine cover with a small amount of surplus left over. In addition to reducing the engine noise in the coach, I was also looking to reduce the amount of heat radiating from the engine cover. That is why I went ahead and put on two layers while I was doing this. The jury is still out on the heat insulation improvement as the weather had turned cold by the time I installed the Dynamat, but at least in cool weather there is no heat coming off of the engine cover and it remains cool to the touch after hours of driving. All in all, I feel the improvement in sound level and heat radiation was well worth the cost.
audriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Audriver,
Yes that is what I was looking for, my wife would like me to hear her. I thought something like that would work and maybe something on the floor in that area. When I worked on boats we used lead and rubber under the carpets. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
X2 on the Dynamat.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #7

I my case the dog house wasn't a tight seal. It looked ok but when I put pressure on while under way it was quieter. I rigged up a simple bungie cord tensioner and it's much better. I did add some egg crate foam to the underside of the cover.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Don
My dog house screws down in the back , but not so sure about the front of house. Will look , maybe sitting up some.