Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:39 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Waste tank monitor

The waste tank monitor shows the tank is full; but I know it's empty. I disconnected the 4 wires attached to the probes and still have a full reading on the waste tank. Is this normal to have a reading if the wires are disconnected??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2014, 05:32 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not an electrician or an expert on the senders but I don' t think it is normal. Are you sure the wires you disconnected are actually to the waste tank? How are your other tanks reading when you do this? I also wonder if you "rebooted" cut the power then turn it back on if they would still glow with the wires disconnected?

However I do have a track record for avoiding the problem and describe it below. Read the remainder if you think it will help.

What is normal is that the lights stay on when the sensors get fouled by debris. It is a sign your tank needs a good rinsing, which will solve the situation in most cases. It is very common.

In my case I use a hose I purchased with perforations in the end so that I get a lot of pressure coming out of multiple streams of water. I plunge this into the toilet with it attached to a hose move it around in the tank. I leave the tank valve open and let the crud run out. I have had my MH ten years and my tank indicators still work perfectly. When at home I use hot water which is all the more effective.

There are other methods, I use a cleaner I get at Camping World, others use home remedies. Put in the cleaner then fill then tank about half or more then drive the MH to stir things up, dump then rinse with fresh water. I use this method my last stop before arriving back home after a trip so when I store my tanks are clean.

I hope you get a definitive answer on your actual question about the sensor and also that this information I have provided is helpful.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #3

I have no idea what display you have, but on mine, the integrated chip (IC) made my grey tank show 2/3rds full all the time. I happen to have a spare in my spare IC chip bin, and that was what was bad.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
If you have the sensor type that has actual conductor going through the wall of the tank that contacts the liquid in the tank to read levels, disconnecting the wire should show empty, not full. Only way I can think of the tank showing full with wires disconnected is if you have a short in the wires or connector at the panel.
This might help. They recommend SeeLevel sensors that stick to the outside of the tank.
Tige - SeeLeveL II Tank Monitor

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #5

In my case, I saw an open with the wires disconnected and very low resistance with them connected. Something like 1.4, .9 and .4 ohms.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I had removed the cover from the right rear cargo area to locate the tank and wiring; then had the wife flush the toilet to be sure this was the black tank. I have cleaned the tank with high pressure hose through the toilet and the full light went out, however the 2/3, 1/3, and E stayed on. The fresh water, gray tank, and propane tank gauges show normal readings. I plan to fill the tank half full with water and cleaning solution, then go for a drive to see if that will change the readings. Hopefully it will. Thanks to all for your replies.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #7

That's what we're here for.

Tags
tank