RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:53 PM   #1

Water Heater Check Valve

I can't find anything with a search so I'll ask you guys. No hot water from sinks cold water going in water is heating but up won't come out of heater. I looked and found some help saying the check valve is the fix. I put a new one on and still no hot water to sinks. any help refer to post before help. Thanks

2006 seabreeze 32 ft. Atwood 6 gal MPD 97355 Heating tank has one blue line on bottom of tank (cold in I guess) one red line on top (hot) with check valve on it. I assume the arrow on the new check valve is the water direction and it should be arrow pointing away from the tank to the red lines?

Ramster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 07:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramster View Post
I can't find anything with a search so I'll ask you guys. No hot water from sinks cold water going in water is heating but up won't come out of heater. I looked and found some help saying the check valve is the fix. I put a new one on and still no hot water to sinks. any help refer to post before help. Thanks
2006 seabreeze 32 ft. Atwood 6 gal MPD 97355 Heating tank has one blue line on bottom of tank (cold in I guess) one red line on top (hot) with check valve on it. I assume the arrow on the new check valve is the water direction and it should be arrow pointing away from the tank to the red lines?
Ramster
Correct
The arrows on a water heater back flow) preventer, (aka: check valve), must point in the direction the water should flow.
TOWARD the water heater tank if in the inlet, (cold), waterline.... AWAY from the tank if in the output, (hot), waterline.

CAMCO WATER HEATER BACK FLOW PREVENTER

mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:27 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
When hooked up to city water or you have the water pump on, is the tank filling? If you haven't turned on the heater, try opening the pressure relief valve. Water should flow out the relief valve. This shows the tank is pressurized and water is entering the tank. (You are correct, the bottom is the cold in, the top is the hot out) I would next make sure all the winterizing valves to isolate the water heater from the plumbing system are set right. If you have checked everything else, including that all hot faucets are off, inside and outside the RV, then the next step would be to remove the top hose fitting on the back of the heater. With the water pump on, water should come out that open fitting. Reconnect and then check at the next fitting in the hot water line downstream from the tank. Sooner or later you should find where the water isn't flowing.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:49 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Make sure your bypass valve or valves is/are open.
TireKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #5

connect the line without the check valve to see if you get water flow. Check the bypass and make sure it is in the correct position (been there done that).
Old 09-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #6

valve

what if I get after removing top line and no water comes out? does that mean the tanks bad? the elements inside the tank are bad?
When I turn on cold water I hear the pump come on then when hot is turned on no pump sound. thanks for your help guys
Old 09-27-2016, 08:17 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
If the tank isn't leaking, it's not bad. Did you open the relief valve? Did water come out the valve under pressure? That would show the inlet hose is open and working.

You need to see if the winterizing valves are set properly. If the handle is 90 to the direction the water flows through the pipe, it's closed. If the handle is parallel to the water flow, it's open.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-27-2016, 04:19 PM   #8

Smile Valve

I am not getting any air or water from the release valve on the hot water heater when I open it. There is no check valve on intake line what else would prevent water from going in?
I have turned hot water on and taken off the hot output line on top of heater tank to see if water is coming out from the new check valve I put on and there is no water coming out.

I have double checked all the valves on coach all are in right position I live in Las Vegas so I never winterize. No changes made to water lines. Water seams to be going into heater tank then heating up (I know this because I have drained the tank a few times to repair lines) hot water just don't come out of the tank?
thank you all for your time and suggestions.
Ramster
Old 09-27-2016, 04:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramster View Post
I am not getting any air or water from the release valve on the hot water heater when I open it. There is no check valve on intake line what else would prevent water from going in?
I have turned hot water on and taken off the hot output line on top of heater tank to see if water is coming out from the new check valve I put on and there is no water coming out.

I have double checked all the valves on coach all are in right position I live in Las Vegas so I never winterize. No changes made to water lines. Water seams to be going into heater tank then heating up (I know this because I have drained the tank a few times to repair lines) hot water just don't come out of the tank?
thank you all for your time and suggestions.
Ramster

No air/water from 'Relief' valve ....the one in outside compartment you have to open with a lever?
When you open it do you have water supply turned ON----city water connected or pump ON?
Only way no water would flow (SPRAY) out with water supply on is busted/failed closed T&P Relief Valve (Temp/Press)

No water coming out of check valve in hot out with line disconnected?
Again.was this with water supply turned ON?

IF YES...water supply on then new check valve is in backwards (Arrow should be pointing AWAY from tank ----towards hot water line)
OR new check valve is stuck closed/failed
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:01 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
If the water system is pressurized, by the water pump or city water hose, and the tank was connected to the system, water should come out the temp/pressure relief valve on the outside top of the tank.

Next step, find your winterizing valve, even if you've never used it, and make sure it's set properly. Valves on the supply line to the tank or hot water line from tank should have the handles parallel to the line, if it's a valve to allow water to cross from cold to hot, bypassing the water heater, it should be set with handle 90 to the hose.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-27-2016, 05:13 PM   #11

Sure sounds like your hot water bypass valves either a 2 valve or 3 valve system need to be checked again.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:54 PM   #12

I agree. I can't think of anything that would cause no water flow except one of the valves at the water heater. You should have 3 valves at the water heater - cold, hot and the winterizing bypass valve. Or maybe an obstruction? Are you sure the water heater is filling? Is the water heater pressurizing?
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:14 PM   #13

valve

I took off the check valve put on a 1/2" pipe no check valve I never winterize. I put on the city water making sure the three valves are set right turned water on I left the tank water release plastic nut off to see if water was going in it was i put it back on. I let water go in for awhile open up the release valve on heater water came out no air. Turned sink on to middle position then to hot side still no water. Tank is not have enough pressure? How do I get pressure?
Old 09-27-2016, 06:36 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
At the kitchen sink, do you get adequate pressure from the cold faucet? If not, you might remove the aerator and make sure it's not clogged up.

What if you take the 1/2" pipe fitting off the back of the water heater and turn on the water pump. Do you get good flow of water out the open line?

Bob & Donna

Tags
heater, water heater, water, heat