Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2016, 09:49 AM   #1

Water heater wiring

We have been running our water heater on gas instead of 110 in our 2000 Trop-i-cal. Found that the chassis battery has been going dead. Has anybody run into this? Apparently the water heater is wired to the chassis instead of the house batteries. Is this normal or has a previous owner been rewiring things?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2016, 09:57 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your water heater draws very little power from your batteries, either when on 120VAC or on Propane Gas. Only enough to operate the valve solenoid. Something else must be causing your problem. How old are your chassis batteries? Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:58 AM   #3

Thanks

Chassis battery is 3 months old, I have checked for parasitic draws and found none. The only other accesory connected to the 1 chassis battery that we have been using ia the in-dash radio. We had been running the radio for several hours over many days and found that the engine cranked normally. The water heater is only run for 1 cycle 3 times a week. I know that the battery is charging via the alternator based on 14.3 volts output. I dont have an effective means to test the battery other than to return to place of purchase.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:25 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like you might need to invest in an inexpensive DVM (Digital Volt Meter), less than $20, on-line or at HD, Lowes, etc. It accurately measures AC/DC voltage, resistance, continuity, current, etc. Spend some time learning how to use it. It will save you HOURS of wasted time GUESSING and mucho $$$. With the DVM you could measure the chassis battery voltage under load, like bright headlights "on", engine "off"......it it is less than 12 volts, then your battery is not fully charged, or it's defective. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:51 AM   #5

Voltmeter test

I have measured chassis voltage both under load and not. Voltage did not drop below 12v .I have studied the schematics from National but can't find any reference as to where the water heater connects to a 12 volt source. Other motorhomes I have owned had the water heater connected to the coach batteries not the chassis. I am going to connect an ammeter in line with the chassis battery to see if any ford chassis module is waking up and causing an excessive draw. I will also test to see what the water heater draws Thanks for the help.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredV View Post
We have been running our water heater on gas instead of 110 in our 2000 Trop-i-cal. Found that the chassis battery has been going dead. Has anybody run into this? Apparently the water heater is wired to the chassis instead of the house batteries. Is this normal or has a previous owner been rewiring things?
something isn't right, I have stayed in mine for 14 weeks with the gas water heater fired (98 tradewinds 7370) and NEVER had an issue with the chassis batteries dead, but my radio runs off the house batteries as well.

good luck, this is my first post on this forum I am constantly reading but have never posted.
Dustinwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:20 PM   #7

Disconnect the chassis battery and see if the water heater works. Then you will know.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater, wiring