Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #1

Water leak

I have a Sea Breeze LX, 31 ft. Where the front cap meets the roof there is molding the full width of the motor home with a lot of screws holding it in place. There is some water leakage in that area, so I cleaned up all the old caulking and discovered all the screws holding everything in place are all stripped. I tried to screw in some bigger screws but they don't hold either. I took out the old TV so I have access to that area in the center of the roof. I put bolts and nuts to hold the center section in place, but it's the side that is leaking. Any ideas aside from tearing out the ceiling?
littleahi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This suggestion will not provide much "structural" support......but it will STOP the water leaks. I applied a 4 inch wide strip from gutter to gutter of EternaBond Tape over the joint between Body and Cap......on both ends of my MH. No more leaks! Rook

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...sl_e5jmukv0c_b

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:25 PM   #3

What kind of surface prep is there? Do you have to take off all the old sealant?
littleahi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I did the same as ROOK you can go over the old sealant as long as it's not wider then the 4" wide tape. I just cleaned the area with denatured alcohol before putting the tape down. When using the tape don't stretch it and once it touches the surface it's hard to lift off to reposition so make sure it's lined up before you set it down. And pressure is needed to get it to stick so go with the roller to install it. You tube videos on how to use it. Once you install it you will not have to worry about any leaks from that area.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:08 PM   #5

I had a Sea Breeze 5th wheel, made by National RV same as you. Rear cap leaked, So I removed the sealant and metal trim strip and all the screws, filled each screw hole with toothpicks and a bit of wood glue, trimmed toothpicks flush, ran 4" eternabond in one piece from one side to the other. replaced rusted trim screws with stainless steel screws, filled each screw hole with Dicor sealant, then ran the screws in. More Dicor over each screw head and then reinstalled new screw cover in the trim strip. No more leaks. National had installed the rubber roof so the roof ran under the rear cap insead of on top of the rear cap, costs us $4K to repair water damage to slide out and kitchen floor.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ditto what John Wayne said. I just used soap (Dawn), water and a brush to clean mine. As JW said, be careful to have it centered on the joint because once it's down it's nearly impossible to remove! Do not let the roll of tape lay on it's side, it will stick and you will be lucky to get it unstuck! The surface must be completely dry. Use a good roller to get a good seal. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:44 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
On our 05 Dolphin, I stripped off all the old Dicor, then drilled new holes in the metal strip between the striped ones but at slightly better positions and angle for new screws to fasten to a better support or frame underneath the roof surface. I then applied new Dicor. Good idea to add the Eternabond tape over that.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:45 PM   #8

I had a rig with the same leaks and used Eternabond to cover the trim strip. I first removed the excess caulk, but not all of it. Having a little along the sides of the trim helps the Eternabond blend into the roof top. I cleaned everything with lacquer thinner, but wiped the area with alcohol after because it doesn't leave a residue.

I agree with not stretching the Eternabond tape. It is best left in a neutral situation to accommodate the expansion and shrinking.

I did an experiment and placed a tape patch over an antenna hole to be plugged later. To remove it I used a heat gun and most of the plastic backing came off, but much of the backing tape remained.
ChasRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak