RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:27 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Water leak

Hi All,
I've had my 2003 Dolphin 6342 for 2 years now and I'm down to the problem I've been putting off. When I first got it I hooked the water supply up to the black tank flush inlet in an attempt to flush the tank out. Water began pouring down from behind the panel, so I turned it off. After removing the panel I could see water coming down from the floor about half way across the MH from an area I couldn't reach. I can't see any reason for the piping to be plumbed above the black tank up into the inner part of the motorhome, but it is.

Has anyone else had this problem and can maybe shed some light on the plumbing for the blackwater flush?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2017, 06:43 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It's common for the tank flusher to have a vacuum break valve in the line to prevent back flow from the black tank into the water line. They are often hidden in the lavatory sink base. Don't confuse it with the Air admittance valve on the sink drain line, that's a vent to keep water in the trap.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Water leak

Bflinn181 is most likely correct for your problem.
The vacuum breaker will be high usually under a sink or behind a shower.
Cheap plastic valves are installed and known to fail. If you locate it I would replace with a brass version.
Added image. It is the white device middle of image.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5475.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	165357
Old 06-15-2017, 07:30 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Had the same problem, vacuum breaker was clogged with stink bugs. I just cleaned it out, put it back together and it's been good ever since.

2002 National Sea Breeze LX 8341
https://thebreezerv.wordpress.com
TC Wndsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:38 PM   #5

Mine is not located under the sink. It is in a wall the access panel is screwed on so it is intended to be serviceable. I had to clean mine a couple of years ago. Works fine since.
onecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:45 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine came with two black tank flush fittings BUT only one was hooked up and the other was so far back it couldn't be hooked up. It's possible you have plumbing running to that fitting that isn't hooked up.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Problem solved

Sorry I posted and went away for a while. Life interfered.

In turns out I have a boxed corner left of the toilet that Dolphin used to run the black tank vent to the roof. They also placed the anti-siphon valve in there. Removed the screws and one side of the box came off to expose the valve. The problem was that the factory installed the valve in reverse, so under pressure it would squirt water out of the air port. I'm guessing the previous owner didn't use the flush as it would have been under warranty.
I'm going to try and find a new valve under my replace, not repair policy, but the trick is that the hoses are 2 different lengths so it will take a few fittings.

Thanks everyone.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:24 PM   #8

Bathroom leak

Hi, Seems we might have the same problem. My hubby wants to know if this is under pressure (water)? Should he turn off the water. This piece is under the sink, way to the left, behind a nailed wall of the cabinet. There is about a 4 inch space at the top that you can see this piece. Not an easy fix unless you are really tiny and have strong fingers.

I know this an old post but hope someone sees it

Joy (1998 Sea View 8330)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181105_110212.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	225128  
Bjoy911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:00 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjoy911 View Post
Hi, Seems we might have the same problem. My hubby wants to know if this is under pressure (water)? Should he turn off the water. This piece is under the sink, way to the left, behind a nailed wall of the cabinet. There is about a 4 inch space at the top that you can see this piece. Not an easy fix unless you are really tiny and have strong fingers.

Joy (1998 Sea View 8330)
If that is the anti-siphon valve would only have water flow when you have a hose connected to your black tank flusher. If it's not the anti-siphon valve for the tank flusher, it wouldn't hurt to turn off the city water faucet or turn off the water pump if you remove the valve.

The reason I opened with 'If' is that I've not seen galvanized threaded pipe in a modern RV. Also being under the sink, are you sure it's not connected to the LP gas line?

Bob & Donna
Old 11-06-2018, 02:10 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Joy (1998 Sea View 8330)
Joy, It certainly looks like an anti siphon valve. As stated by another member, if it's for the black tank flush it will only have water pressure when a hose is attach for flushing. Water pressure closes the valve and lets water run into the tank. When the water is shut off the valve opens to let air in and prevent any water from siphoning out of the black water tank. It has a spring in it to open the valve. If bugs or anything else have gotten into the line they can block the valve open.

I would hook up a hose and put a little pressure on the valve while someone is watching it. If it's bad or blocked, you'll see the water squirt out.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:31 PM   #11

Bathroom leak

Thanks for the quick reply everyone. We took it out and cleaned it, didnt seem to be much there. The siphon was brass so maybe the previous owner had issues too (we are the second owners). We will now watch it and see if the issue is solved.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #12

Leak with further questions.

Ok, I have a further question. Pardon me if it is a dumb one.
We are full timers and as such we leave the black water flush hose alway connected but turned off. The valve looks ok, but my question is.. if this valve really isn't working, could the water still in the hose (since hubby turns it off at the tap) be siphoned up when we flushed the toilet? There seems to be water on the pipe the valve is threaded to but haven't seen water coming out of it in real time. (almost afraid to try and flush the black water tank now).
Thanks guys, Joy
Old 11-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Ok, I have a further question. Pardon me if it is a dumb one.
We are full timers and as such we leave the black water flush hose alway connected but turned off. The valve looks ok, but my question is.. if this valve really isn't working, could the water still in the hose (since hubby turns it off at the tap) be siphoned up when we flushed the toilet? There seems to be water on the pipe the valve is threaded to but haven't seen water coming out of it in real time. (almost afraid to try and flush the black water tank now).
Thanks guys, Joy
I don't leave a hose connected to the black tank flush simply because I'd not like to drink [Mod Edit] .Check valves and vacuum breakers can fail, so I only hook up a hose to the black tank sprayer when I want to spray and dump the black tank. I use a second hose, not my city water/fill hose. We drink our water, I don't like buying one-use plastic bottles of water. JMHO

Bob & Donna
Old 11-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Joy,
Your toilet most likely sits right over the black water tank and the effluent has to go directly to the tank and can't be diverted by anything. There is no connection between the effluent and the flush water system.

The flush water is connected to the hose and runs up to a high point, where the anti-siphon valve is located, and down to the spray line inside the black water tank. If the black water level is above the spray line then a vacuum on the system can pull black water up the line and back to the hose and thus, the water source. That is why there's a siphon breaker at the high point, to prevent a vacuum from occuring.

Most people empty the black water tank when it is about 3/4 full, or before they hit the road. When you're parked in a campground you only need to empty every few days so hooking up the water line to flush isn't a big issue. I think that is BFlinn's point.

Tags
leak, water, water leak