RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:59 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Water pressure issue from pump and slow drip from fresh tank area

Hey guys,

Just de-winterized the rig, for whatever reason I have practically no water pressure. I turn the pump on and hear the motor, but when I turn the bathroom sink on, itís pressurized for a minute and then it just runs or trickles. The kitchen sink fluctuates, shower seems ok, and I havenít confirmed whether or not the water heater is firing. Iím a newb at de-winterizing, so am I missing something?

Im on the road right now so I havenít gotten a chance to open up the water control bay, but it seems the pump is working, just have weird pressures in the coach. Iíll update on the WH after I give it a while to try and heat.

JPaTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2019, 08:10 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Check to be sure your tank drains and low point drains are closed. May have air in the lines still. And then there is the tank leak. Possibly bad seal on the pump not building full pressure.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #3

In addition to the above, check to see that the winterizing valve is closed. That valve, when open, allows anti-freeze to enter the system before the pump. If left open, air will be drawn in as the pump operates, giving you the symptoms you describe. The open valve could also allow water from the tank to leak out through the siphon tube used to draw in the anti-freeze.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:35 AM   #4

I am familiar with simple TT systems, but yours may be similar. There are two maybe three valves used for winterizing.

One as mentioned above is near the pump or fresh tank tap. It is use to feed antifreeze to the pump. Make sure it is fully in the correct position. It can restrict flow if it is not full set to the correct position. The other one or two is near the water heater. They are used to bypass the water heater when filling the plumbing with antifreeze. One valve partially turned can restrict flow.

Shower works, but sinks do not. That is a mystery.
Faucet flows for a minute. This probably means there is air in the pipes that gets compressed. The air pocket pressurizes briefly but then runs down. Water heaters usually have an air space at the top of the tank that could provide pressure. Some owners install small pressure tanks to quiet the pump noise.

All of this can be due to a restricted pipe or valve most likely on the high pressure side. Outside of valves miss set, hard water scale can break loose from walls of plumbing and restrict flow.

Various devices like water filters can also be plugged for any number of reasons.

The trouble shooting begins...
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:47 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
In addition to the above suggestions, did you try the pump when plugged into shore power? If you are running on house batteries and they are low, this could also be the culprit.
biggerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:50 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey everyone! Update!

So we lived in the rig all weekend-- I filled the fresh tank up all the way, fired the water heater up, everything pressurized great except for the bathroom sink. We have a bit of water dripping from the bottom of the water storage compartment.

If the system had a leak somewhere, water pressure would be an issue on the whole coach, right? So I'd think I dont have a high-pressure-side leak. We're getting fully pressurized hot water, and cold water elsewhere around the coach except no pressure on either H or C on the bathroom faucet.

All things considered, we had a great weekend in our coach. Nothing like working all day outside and just crawling in the rig and taking a hot shower!
Old 05-20-2019, 11:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaTV View Post
Hey everyone! Update!

So we lived in the rig all weekend-- I filled the fresh tank up all the way, fired the water heater up, everything pressurized great except for the bathroom sink. We have a bit of water dripping from the bottom of the water storage compartment.

If the system had a leak somewhere, water pressure would be an issue on the whole coach, right? So I'd think I dont have a high-pressure-side leak. We're getting fully pressurized hot water, and cold water elsewhere around the coach except no pressure on either H or C on the bathroom faucet.

All things considered, we had a great weekend in our coach. Nothing like working all day outside and just crawling in the rig and taking a hot shower!
Were you on "city water" or using the pump?

If on city water, the leak could be from a bad check valve on the pump or a leaking "city water" valve, allowing the fresh tank to overfill and "leak" through the overflow. The lack of water from the bathroom points to a clogged faucet strainer, most likely, as that is the only system that doesn't provide any water, hot or cold.

If you weren't using the pump, I suggest you at least try the whole system using it. If the pump keeps running or comes back on after all faucets are shut off, that will tell you if you have a bad check valve or city valve as water will leak back into the fresh tank when the pump shuts down and cause it to start up again.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Hey everyone! Update!

Humour me.
Have you unscrewed the aerator on the bathroom sink tap. Look carefully, but from the underside of the tap, the last part is the aerator. Inside, thereís usually a small, very fine, mesh filter along with a small rubber gasket. Quite often, the loose crud from the water heater, or dirty water from whatever city source can clog it up. Youíre reporting thatís the only location with poor pressure.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:37 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Were you on "city water" or using the pump?

If on city water, the leak could be from a bad check valve on the pump or a leaking "city water" valve, allowing the fresh tank to overfill and "leak" through the overflow. The lack of water from the bathroom points to a clogged faucet strainer, most likely, as that is the only system that doesn't provide any water, hot or cold.

If you weren't using the pump, I suggest you at least try the whole system using it. If the pump keeps running or comes back on after all faucets are shut off, that will tell you if you have a bad check valve or city valve as water will leak back into the fresh tank when the pump shuts down and cause it to start up again.

I was on pump the whole weekend, not attached to city water-- the pump operated as designed, only to come on as needed to maintain pressure when we were using a sink or the shower -- so it seems the pump is working as designed.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:38 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Humour me.
Have you unscrewed the aerator on the bathroom sink tap. Look carefully, but from the underside of the tap, the last part is the aerator. Inside, thereís usually a small, very fine, mesh filter along with a small rubber gasket. Quite often, the loose crud from the water heater, or dirty water from whatever city source can clog it up. Youíre reporting thatís the only location with poor pressure.
...I'm going to try that when I get home and I am hoping to send you due humor!!
Old 05-20-2019, 10:03 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
150 points goes to Ken And Terry!

I unscrewed the trap at the faucet and cleaned it. Works great now!
Old 05-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #12

Quote:
150 points goes to Ken And Terry!

I unscrewed the trap at the faucet and cleaned it. Works great now!
Hey, don't I get a few points? After all, I mentioned the clogged faucet strainer in the post before Ken and Terry.

Seriously, good to know the closed system, using the pump only, is working as it should. Still, there shouldn't be any leaking from the tank area. You did say you filled the tank before you left so the leak may be from the overflow tube. Did the leak ever stop?

If the pump stays OFF and the system stays pressurized yet there is a dripping from the tank, that needs to be checked out. If it eventually stops, that points to the overflow tube, but it could be a crack or bad connection to the tank near the top.

Keep us updated.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:30 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
My apologies! I neglected to realize you asserted that as well- 150 points to you also.

As soon as I get a chance, Iím gonna open the access panel and have a look over everything. Right now; there is water in the tank and it has not been leaking. So thatís a good sign, I think. Iíll definitely post back in here with my findings, thanks everyone!

Tags
tank, water, water pressure