Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Water pressure-low and behold

Recently I pulled the plate cover in the wet bay to access the water pump. While in there I bothered to read the inscription on the inlet for city water and low and behold it said pressure regulator to 50 psi.

All this time I have been using a pressure regulator on the outside hose from the source.

So to other National owners, do you rely on this internal regulator? Do you forgo outside regulators?\

Click image for larger version

Name:	Norms iPhone 11-23=13 087.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	52538
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #2

"2003 dolphin lx RV Length 36."

What other models and years did this come on? I don't remember seeing one on mine when I had the cover off.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
"2003 dolphin lx RV Length 36."

What other models and years did this come on? I don't remember seeing one on mine when I had the cover off.
Well don't feel bad I have had that cover off about three times since I owned it and it is the first time I paused to read what it said.

I have no idea what models it came on, but it would seem strange that they would not include it in most models at least for the 2003 year. If mine has one why not everyone else?

It certainly looks to be a substantial piece of work but like most people I have been conditioned to always have a pressure reducer on my source line. I do not recall ever hearing or reading about this coach having one.

I'm glad I have it but kinda chicken to do without until I get some feedback on how long it might last or how to tell if it still is effective.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 2003 Tradewinds and have not used a reducer at the source and have had no problems. The water pump puts out more pressure than the coach will allow with its internal reducer on city water
kirk7678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 05 Dolphin 5376 came with an internal regulator as well.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I only use a regulator for really high pressures', above 70 psi. I replaced my water inlet when it started leaking, the replacements are set to 55 psi.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced my inlet valve this past summer with a Sureflo from Camping World. It has the pressure preset at 65 Lbs.
I do not use any other regulator.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you so much for the responses. I hooked it up sans outside pressure regulator and it does not leak and the pipes are still in one piece so I guess it has worked all this time. I have been double downing all these years. Go figure. Works fine now for sure.

Funny story on myself; same topic. I read a number of threads about a low point drain and thought for sure I did not have one. Then when stumbling around winterizing one year I read the little sticker above the outside shower that said "this is your low point drain stupid". Made life easier. I wonder how many other surprises I will have over the next years. Since I am the original owner I go where no man has gone before.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #9

When I winterized last week, I knew the outside shower was the low-point, but got very little water out of it. I left it on while I went and opened all the other faucets.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:01 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of thees days I will look to see if I have a built in regulator. But I guess their is no reason not to use two regulators.. Would not using the hose regulator give any more pressure in the shower??
Old 12-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
My 05 1341 has the internal regulator.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My '01 Tradewinds has one also,but last year I learned the hard way to listen to the office person where you're staying when they say you should have a pressure regulator at the faucet. The young lady at the KOA in Salt lake city said I would need one as the city pressure was about 120#. Naw,we're good... Hooked up,turned the water on and blew the hose right off the MH fitting and all. OOPPSS... The onboard pressure regulator worked just fine,but the 11 y/o hook-up didn't. Oh well,I was thinking about changing it out anyway and there was this absolutely HUGE MH and trailer supply 10 blocks away. Yes,I did put my trusty brass regulator on the faucet this time.
A little while after I had finished replacing the hook-up,a rig came in next to me and as the guy was setting up he said something about being told the water pressure was high and I said yes,you'll need a regulator on the fuacet and he said he'd never had to use one. Shore 'nuff,he turned the water on and blew his hose. Water all over the place...
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water