Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2007, 03:13 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had a cracked water tank vent hose, so when tank was full, it sprayed water all over the back cap AND back bedroom wall. After a lot of hassel with the dealer, they fixed it. Had to completely pull off half the back cap, slide out the tank, and replace vent hose. It does have a loup that goes about 24 inches above the tank.

Now, though when filling the tank and it is full, and water starts to drain out the vent hose, it will syphon 30 to 40 gallons of water out of the tank. I can't tell if the tank is collasping or if the vent hose just goes too far into the tank. I have a "fix" though not right. I put a 1" ball valve on the vent line. When it starts to syphon (when tank is full) I shut off the valve. If I just drive a couple blocks, then I can open the ball valve, and everything is OK. If I don't close off the ball valve, I loose almost half the tank water.

I cut an access hole to the top of the tank through a curb side basement compartment, but there is no way I can reach the vent line with my hand.

So, my fix works, but I'm interested if any other Sea Breeze (or Dolphin) owners have had the same problem?
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2007, 03:13 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had a cracked water tank vent hose, so when tank was full, it sprayed water all over the back cap AND back bedroom wall. After a lot of hassel with the dealer, they fixed it. Had to completely pull off half the back cap, slide out the tank, and replace vent hose. It does have a loup that goes about 24 inches above the tank.

Now, though when filling the tank and it is full, and water starts to drain out the vent hose, it will syphon 30 to 40 gallons of water out of the tank. I can't tell if the tank is collasping or if the vent hose just goes too far into the tank. I have a "fix" though not right. I put a 1" ball valve on the vent line. When it starts to syphon (when tank is full) I shut off the valve. If I just drive a couple blocks, then I can open the ball valve, and everything is OK. If I don't close off the ball valve, I loose almost half the tank water.

I cut an access hole to the top of the tank through a curb side basement compartment, but there is no way I can reach the vent line with my hand.

So, my fix works, but I'm interested if any other Sea Breeze (or Dolphin) owners have had the same problem?
Old 06-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the same problem on my 2001 Surf Side, the fix was to rerout the vent hoses to a higher location. After that it was ok. This is not a new problem NRV has knowen about it for years.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:44 PM   #4

I had the same thing happen to me twice. The last time it happened I had decided to flush the tank so when the tank started to overflow I kept the water running. After about 5-10 minutes of flushing I turned the water off but the water continued to gush out the overflow. Must have emptied 20-30 gallons out of the tank before it stopped. I went and refilled the tank and as soon as it started to overflow I turned it off. That time the water did not drain out. I really do not know why it worked but it did.

Chip
06 SurfSide A29
30ft classA
2 slides
cmprcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:22 AM   #5

Blue Ribbon,
I had the same overflow problem with my 2000, 34 ft. Sea View and finally figured out what was happening.

On a separate problem, my fresh water tank was leaking and I thought it was cracked. I pulled off a couple panels and found there were not one, but two fresh water tanks perpendicular to each other. I called National RV to find out how to remove the tanks for repair. I was told it was too complicated and that I should take it to a dealer. The dealer said they had never done this before, but would put a couple men on it and figure it out at $95 per hr. That was discouraging to say the least. Back home, upon further investigation I found the two tanks were joined with a "Y" connection to fill both tanks. My leak was occurring because one of the connections was loose. Fortunately, the tank was not cracked as I had first suspected.

As for the syphoning problem, upon monitoring when filling the tanks, I found one tank would fill completely and the other would be partially filled, and because of the pressure, the full tank would begin syphoning out through the vent. If I shut water off at that point and let the two tanks equalize, I can then continuing filling both tanks. In my situation, in the compartment where all the water valves are located, there are two black panels, side by side. One with all the valves; the other is blank that can be removed to get to the water pump. I leave this panel off and with a flashlight I can see both tanks and monitor when filling them.

The syphoning hose does not go down into the fresh water tank. There is an "L" connection on top of the tank for overflow. When you turn off the valve you installed, it allows your tanks to equalize, but they are not completely full. So, if you are going out dry camping, fill until you see water dripping; stop and let them equalize a few minutes; then begin filling again. You may have to do this a couple times to get your tanks full. I leave a flashlight in that compartment for this reason.

I know this is lengthy, but been there, done that, and thought durnit. I hope this clarifies your syphoning problem.
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #6

I am experiencing problems with syphoning at times and at other times water pouring from around the gas tank area. There is no question in my mind that National has known about this from the beginning but what do you do? A fatal defect if it is not corrected.
rbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Rbill, welcome to iRV2.

Come back and visit us often, and let us know the resolution of your problem.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:39 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
rbill -

See my solution to the problem. It works well. When it starts syphoning out the vent, I just close the vent line, move the rig a little, then when I re-open the valve. By the way, on our rig, the vent line is 1" reinforced marine flex tubing.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:03 PM   #9

I'll run this past the National RV tech. people at the Pendelton Getaway. I better start making a list.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:22 AM   #10

Bill,

You might add to your list for the NRV tech an alarming problem with the plastic basement doors etc. that has just developed on my rig ( a 2001 Surf Side). I count 12-15 small cracks (1/2 to 1 inch) in the plastic doors...usually at the upper corners where they attach to the piano hinge. Also, there are cracks around the slide supports, bumper corners, and gas tank fill. I store the rig under cover and have worked very hard to maintain the integrity of the exterior. This is heart breaking as I was told that the plastic material used on this part of the unit was all but indistructable. What a catastrophic problem if this gets worse. Forget resale value!

Have you heard of this problem before and is there a fix...either by National or other source? I would so much appreciate your addressing this with the tech.

rbill
rbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:36 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a 2001 Surf Side new for 6 years, and gave it TLC no matter what I did it developed cracks in the plastic. NRV replaced and repaired some parts but told me "it's plastic and it will just keep cracking". I think it was a big engineering error and only used for 3 years. The material brand name was CENTREX and I have not seen it used on anyother MH's for exterior use. I know this is no help to your problem. Good Luck
Richard
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:18 AM   #12

On the list.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote