Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2015, 02:11 PM   #1

Wet Floor in my Dolphin Tropical

I know dolphins like water, but, that's the animal, not the RV.

A few years ago I replaced the carpet in my RV with Vinyl Plank flooring. It was so much better than the old carpet! However, It to has its own set of problems, like expanding and shrinking with the weather and leaving gaps as it does so. It was also textured, making it hard to sweep up find dust, etc.

I had the copilot window replace a couple of years ago and this year I found a leak. We don't get rain very often in AZ so I fixed (read caulked) every thing I could find that might be the problem. This weekend, after a very little rain, I notice a bulge under the window and stated to investigate. I was dry, so I must have fixed it, but found repairs were needed. The drivers side floor was damp, so more investigations needed there!

Also looks like the vinyl held in the moisture, making things worse. We want to take up all vinyl and replace with carpet tiles, but that may be a moisture barrier also.

Thinking of placing an underlayment, but what needs to be done before that.

More photo are here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/978155...7651821098127/

Photo (16) shows four attempts to place the co-pilot seat in the right position by the original builder! Now to figure out which holes to use when replacing the seat!

H
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV floor (8).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	563.4 KB
ID:	92996  

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2015, 08:27 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Most flooring will expand and contract with moisture (wood) or temperature (vinyl) Many installations suggest that they be free floating with a gap around the edges to allow for that movement.
I'd suggest you seal the floor with a waterproof coating to prevent more damage to the wood.

If you can access the holes for the seat from underneath, you can poke a wire up through the holes that go through the metal bracing. Caulk the other holes when you figure out the correct ones.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:44 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might look for the leak from under the wheel well where the floor and wall meet.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
You might look for the leak from under the wheel well where the floor and wall meet.
I did, and found some suspects on the driver side but think it might be from around the slide.

On the passenger side (above photo), however, I saw the water running down the wall while the rig was parked at home.

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
To keep the inside dry?

The finished project looks great but in order to keep it that way you will have to have some one (or your self) to check all the caulking on the out side in order to keep the inside dry.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphin