Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #1

What are Jack-knife switches for?

I have 2007 Tropical that has a slow parasitic draw on the batteries when the motorhome is in storage. The chassis batteries have two jackknife switches and the house has one. I thought pushing the red button and releasing the switch and it would disconnect the batteries form the parasitic draw. That's not the case as everything in the coach still works. Now I'm wondering what these switches are for.

Robby
Robby W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2015, 06:32 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Typically jackknife switches are mounted right on the battery post and they disconnect the battery from the rest of the RV. Look carefully at your batteries and see if the cable goes directly to a knife switch or there other, smaller gauge wires bypassing the switches. Those switches were not factory installed, a previous owner installed them, for what ever reason.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Typically jackknife switches are mounted right on the battery post and they disconnect the battery from the rest of the RV. Look carefully at your batteries and see if the cable goes directly to a knife switch or there other, smaller gauge wires bypassing the switches. Those switches were not factory installed, a previous owner installed them, for what ever reason.
I'll give it another look Bob. They are large gage wires coming of the positive side of the batteries. I think I'll try a volt meter to see if the switches even work.

Thanks,
Robby
Old 03-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #4

The switches were probably installed to eliminate most of the parasitic load on the batteries when in storage. I'd open them if I was planning on more than a week or so between uses.

Internal losses will run down a battery over long term storage. The different battery types have different losses and different storage times but it is worth charging all of them periodically.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The switches were probably installed to eliminate most of the parasitic load on the batteries when in storage. I'd open them if I was planning on more than a week or so between uses.

Internal losses will run down a battery over long term storage. The different battery types have different losses and different storage times but it is worth charging all of them periodically.
But the OP said with the switches open, "...everything in the coach still works." I'd think the switches must have been for something else. I've not seen a true knife switch that can malfunction and still conduct electricity except when the blades reconnect with the other side of the switch. I'm puzzled by the OP's mentioning, "... pushing the red button and releasing the switch " I've not seen knife switches with red buttons, but these switches are obviously not set up to cut off all battery power to the RV for storage purposes. I have such switches mounted right on my house battery terminals and have left the RV in storage for as long as 4 months with no charging current and still been able to start everything back after an Ohio winter.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is it possible that the relay for the switch failed and the previous owner installed the knife switches as an alternative? If you open the knife switches, the coach powere should be off.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:13 AM   #7

I think the OP is calling the lever type, thermal circuit breakers, jack knife switches.

They have a red button to disconnect them.

All three, could be feed wires to the BIRD.

Could be wrong.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
not a jack knife switch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41lOHIyhiJL.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	89916  
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:59 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
This is about as simple a knife switch as I can find, some have double throw, or double poles, or even double pole double throw, but it's evident when the switch is open or closed.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	knife_switch.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	89927  

Bob & Donna
Old 03-29-2015, 02:07 PM   #10

But no RED button!
Old 03-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
But no RED button!
I agree, but hard to confuse the thermal CB for a knife switch!

Bob & Donna
Old 03-30-2015, 04:54 AM   #12

Quote:
I agree, but hard to confuse the thermal CB for a knife switch!
Well Bob, it my case it's not that hard to do. It is as pictured with the red button, it think your calling it a thermal CB. With those switches open everything still works. To be clear I haven't tried everything but all the lights, fans, radio and stairs work. What would be the function of these switches?

Thanks,
Robby

PS, I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:56 AM   #13

I have 3 of them breakers on my class C.

#1 protects the cable used for the boost circuit. It is near the house battery.

#2 protects the chassis to house, charging cable. It is near the engine battery.

#3 protects the cable from the house battery, to the fuse and converter feed. That one should cut the power to the house loads, but I never tried it.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:09 AM   #14

Quote:
But the OP said with the switches open, "...everything in the coach still works." I'd think the switches must have been for something else. I've not seen a true knife switch that can malfunction and still conduct electricity except when the blades reconnect with the other side of the switch. I'm puzzled by the OP's mentioning, "... pushing the red button and releasing the switch " I've not seen knife switches with red buttons, but these switches are obviously not set up to cut off all battery power to the RV for storage purposes. I have such switches mounted right on my house battery terminals and have left the RV in storage for as long as 4 months with no charging current and still been able to start everything back after an Ohio winter.
Yes. One of the things I learned a long time ago was not to totally trust what the user reported. In this case of the converter was plugged in everything would work. The OP did not say. The real question seems to be what is connected to the switches. I took the red button to be the salesman switch. What we really need is to know what's connected to the switches.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote