RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:25 AM   #1

Got a 2000w inverter in the Pacifica - what should it be powering when not plugged into shore power? TV? two plugs in the bedroom? I know it should be capable of powering the microwave, but it isn't hooked up to that. Any experience with this issue? Have not taken delivery, so can still address this with dealer/service/factory.

Apologies if this has been asked before - couldn't find it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2007, 06:25 AM   #2

Got a 2000w inverter in the Pacifica - what should it be powering when not plugged into shore power? TV? two plugs in the bedroom? I know it should be capable of powering the microwave, but it isn't hooked up to that. Any experience with this issue? Have not taken delivery, so can still address this with dealer/service/factory.

Apologies if this has been asked before - couldn't find it.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:44 AM   #3

Someone will jump in here with the answer or suggestion. I just wanted to suggest you get all the information you can before leaving the lot. Especially the Pre Delivery Inspection. You probably knew this.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:48 AM   #4

It should power all 110volt lines except for air conditioners and electric water heater. That includes ice maker, microwave, all outlets, coffee maker (if permanently installed by National).
Old 10-22-2007, 08:12 AM   #5

In our 99 Tradewinds, the microwave, dinette outlet, front and rear TV, and the hair dryer outlet. Coffee pot and ice maker are left off the inverter.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:55 AM   #6

The inverter does not power anything. It converts power from one voltage to another, and one current t another. For example it converts 110 V AC to 12 V DC, or the other way. In my MH it all my lights and TV in the bedroom run on 12 V DC. With the inverter I can use these lights when hooked up to 110 V AC (Shore or generator power). If you are going to convert 12V Dc to 110V AC you will need a substantial supply of 12V, ie running an inverter off your 12V supply from your engine.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:46 AM   #7

Thanks for all replies - the service center here will correct the wiring so that all the right stuff is powered.

ps: Sorry for assuming that it was not necessary to explain that I understood the purpose of an inverter in order to ask the question. I have 600 watts of solar panels installed on the roof, so am not concerned about being able to recharge my batteries.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:04 AM   #8

Ottawa,
Your inverter inverts 12VDC from coach batteries to 110 VAC. When you are unplugged or generator off, then your inverter is supplying AC power to any receptacles or appliances that are on it. Your converter converts 110AC to 12VDC and you must be on shore or generator for it to work or you are running 12V straight off your coach batteries.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:21 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Nice exchange here boys. Trip, your inverter should most definetly be hooked up to your micro wave, as should be most 120 V resepticles.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:07 PM   #10

Thanks Jestme - Talking to the service guys here, that was what we came up with, and they are fixing it now. Thanks to you and all National Owners who responded.

Did I see earlier you're back east somewhere? We're in Coburg, OR, just north of Eugene getting all the kinks worked out. After a couple of weeks of record-breaking rain, the sun has finally come out for awhile.

As a kind of ps for everyone's info, not all dealers throw you to the wolves once you've bought the rig. The folks here at Paradise RV are definitely going the extra mile for us.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:53 PM   #11

I think the main reason the coffee pots are left off is because of the two hour cut off switch on them. Folks were forgetting they were on and using power keeping the pot warm. We always pour our coffee up in a thermos after it is made. I always kick the gen off for pot or microwave. Flip the micro on while going down the road and watch the amp needle on your dash. LOL We have the Freedom 20 Heart Inverter/converter.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Yes trip we are back east in Philadelphia PA. We are enjoying one of the warmest and driest Falls in history. Hope to see you on the road, or rally sometime.

PS: I agree, not all dealers are Monsters, just most of them

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote