Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #1

Where is the battery disconnect relay ?

I have a 2004 34 foot national sea breeze.
I,m trying to find the physical location of the house battery disconnect relay.
It,s the relay that you can hear when energized or de-energized by the disconnect rocker switch near the entrance door to the coach. It shuts off the 12 VDC power to most of the coach when in the off position.

It,s not the relay that you hear when connecting or disconnecting to shore power, that would be the 120VAC disconnect or transfer relay.

Thanks,

Mike
mxw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2016, 05:23 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mike,

Look around the front of the coach for a black box, the Battery Control Center or BCC, that looks somewhat like the attached picture. Inside you will find all of the coach side power items such as fuses, relays, and the disconnect relay.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BCC.jpg
Views:	942
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	144386
Old 11-14-2016, 05:24 PM   #3

I believe I found it...located in the 12vdc distribution panel area in the storage bin below the passenger seat. It looks like an old Ford starter solenoid, it is mounted below the board that has circuit breakers marked as J-5 through J-11.

answered my own question...

Mike
Old 11-14-2016, 05:54 PM   #4

Mike,

Yes it looks like an old Ford started solenoid. And the 2 are very similar and they are available at auto parts stores. However there is a difference in the way they are made. Be sure the solenoid you purchase is a constant use solenoid and not a starter solenoid. It should state constant use on the box. I forget if it is a 3 wire or 4 wire unit be sure to check one that is currently installed.

~Bill
Bill WA6YBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:31 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That one is the interconnect solenoid. The disconnect or latching solenoid is a black plastic box next to it on the right side.

link https://rvpartsexpress.com/product/r...nnect-rvc1002/
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:23 PM   #6

Thanks,
I see both, the disconnect relay, ( which requires no power in ON or OFF state, only to change the state; latching relay ) this is what connects the coach battery to various 12 volt loads and the other relay that looks like a FORD starter relay is the "Interconnect Relay".
This Ford looking,Interconnect Relay is only energized when you want to connect the chassis battery to the coach battery? Like if you run down the chassis battery and don't have enough battery power to start the engine?
Does this relay get energized after the engine starts and alternator output is above the coach battery voltage, when energized allows the alternator to charge the coach battery as well as the chassis battery, which is always connected to the alternator?
Hope I'm understanding the reasons and components.
Thanks for your replies,

Mike
Old 11-15-2016, 06:41 AM   #7

WOW! Sorry about that, I really need to read the original post correctly. It is the latching relay you are after. They are not available at auto stores.

Here is another model. This model was in my 95 Dolphin. I was able to take it apart and repair the toggle mechanisem and clean the contacts and it worked like new. Depending on elecrtical requirements National used both types.

Intellitec Battery Disconnect Relay-Prevents Dead Batteries-pplmotorhomes.com

~Bill
Bill WA6YBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:18 PM   #8

OK Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-15-2016, 09:31 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mike,
The best thing to do is call RV Custom Products and ask for the documentation and troubleshooting guide, they will email it to you. I received 7 pages for my BCC. In the mean time I have this drawing of the BCC that uses fuses. Later ones have circuit breakers.

RV Custom Products
14000 Anson Ave, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 921-8353
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 Volt Distribution Panel.jpg
Views:	3316
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	144526  
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:43 AM   #10

Thanks,

I just got off the phone and they are going to e-mail me the drawing and troubleshooting guide.
This should be a handy thing to have.

Mike
Old 11-18-2016, 06:50 PM   #11

I got a couple of attachments along with a troubleshooting guide from
RV Custom Products; the makers of the BDC ( Battery Distribution Center).
More info than I expected.

There is a lot of good information on the wiring diagrams listed as Figures 1, 2 &3. Has circuit breaker numbers, connector plugs numbers etc.

You might want to call them and get a copy for yourself, for future reference.

Mike

Tags
battery, battery disconnect