Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2018, 09:31 AM   #1

Who Repairs Your Motorhone?

To whom do you take your motorhome for repairs that you cannot or do not feel like doing yourself? I'm not talkin about minor DYI things or regular maintenance like oil changes but I am talking about repair or modification of the house and running gear.

After trying several local RV shops and not being very happy with the knowledge exhibited there in, I was lucky enough to find a heavy truck repair shop by an RV enthusiast.

Given the diverse equipment on our units, I'm curious what others do.
F4Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 09:47 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
If You are in the Yuma, Az area CJ'S in the Foothills Area is very good, In WA, state Brazels, In Oregon Hendersons in Grants Pass, In Ca. Redlands All of these are very RV knowledgeable and also very Honest.
2inclassof56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #3

F4Jock-

I take care of most all house repairs and modifications except body-shop-type work. I leave that to my trusted body shop.

On occasion, I have had the local RV shop make some repairs. Their most recent work was for a recall on the entry steps. I would have done the work myself, but the vendor would not allow it.

On the chassis side, the coach is a gasser, so I take it to the same mechanic I use for our cars. I have no problem working on chassis wiring- just the mechanicals.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It depends on the repair / service. For most ENGINE (And drive train/chassis stuff) I have a regular mechanic. It's a local RV dealer and they have done well in past jobs Even fixed a few things in passing.

For "House" stuff. I have a couple of mobile techinicans depending on the state I'm in (SC or MI) They do SOME chassis work as well (RV specific chassis work) but no engine work, though one is a fully certified engine mechanic he just don't do it any more.

I found them by asking neighbors and getting recommendations.

Most of the minor stuff. so long as I have the tools even some of the not so minor stuff.. I do myself.. But then I'm a fully qualified handyman and mechanic myself.. Just don't have a shop or as big a tool box as the pros. .
Old 05-20-2018, 03:19 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here in the Chicago area, it is a RV maintenance desert. I have a tough time finding anyone to work on our class c mechanicals, just finding a dealer who will do the necessary maintenance on the drive train is tough. No dealers want to do work on motorhomes, those who have the facilities only want to work on trucks, not RVs. The one dealer in our area who did, will no longer work on RVs.
So I do what I can myself. Just got done doing a spark plug swap at 92,000 miles.
Most all house repairs I do myself, although I did have an electrical (generator) issue repaired at a generator shop.
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:24 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have four good places for problems I can't handle but I don't think you'd be interested...Bit of a trip as I'm in California..

I grew up in Williamsport, not too far from you, and have a couple relatives with class A motorhomes back there...would you be interested in repair places around Williamsport?

If so I'll check with them.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I have four good places for problems I can't handle but I don't think you'd be interested...Bit of a trip as I'm in California..

I grew up in Williamsport, not too far from you, and have a couple relatives with class A motorhomes back there...would you be interested in repair places around Williamsport?

If so I'll check with them.

Thanks for the tip! Absolutely interested!
Old 05-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #8

If it is something I can't do I use Mac's Campers in Waco Texas for the house. For the drive train I use Rush Ford in Dallas. For chassis and front end I use Mid Tex Frame and Alignment in Lorena Texas. For tires I use GCR Tires and Service in Waco, they are nation wide.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #9

I'm lucky, I do most myself but if there is something mechanical I don't want to do or can't, I have an older guy who works part time for me in the shop that will work on anything and is very knowledgeable. I still have to pay but the rate is half as much as any RV place.
I also met another guy through a friend who does work on the coach side and is very reasonably priced.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:54 AM   #10

Here in Baldwin county (Gulf Shores area in AL) we are lucky to have Lazarri Truck repair in the Fairhope/Daphne area. They do about anything to suspension/running gear/drive train/diesels.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:08 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Jock View Post
Thanks for the tip! Absolutely interested!
Sent them a message so will contact you when I get word back.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:47 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have an RV mechanic who lives about 15 miles from me. He knows what he's doing and his labor rate is cheap compared to most dealers. He does most of my work.

For chassis work there is Spartan approved service center about 30 miles from here. They do all my chassis work.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Sent them a message so will contact you when I get word back.

https://www.rhonesrv.com/

Both relatives suggested this place.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:39 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can check out this site for service departments other people have used. It gives you a look at how other owners rated them. If you know of a good or bad facility you might want to write a review on them.

RV Service Reviews
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, repair, repairs