RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #1

Why is the hole too small for the stinky slinky?

Hi All,
I'm a new RV'er. I just bought a 2006 National sea breeze that looks like the previous owner really took good care of it. I made my first trip and had a blast. Then came the dirty work of dumping the waste tanks. So I read all the stuff I could read to make sure that I didn't do anything stupid and completed the task with minimal problems. What I could not figure out was that there is a big hole in the bottom of the waste control bay that looks like it was made to run the stinky slinky out the bottom of the box and straight down. It seems to me that that is the way to go, but the tube heads wont fit through the hole. So Instead I had to run the tube up and over the edge of the bin and then down to the ground and the waste receptacle. Doing it this way causes the turds to gather in that small area between the edge of the bin and the waste valve connection. It would be a much cleaner drop for the turds to go straight down and then to the ground. I do not understand why they made the connections just slightly bigger than the hole that is there. Am I doing it wrong? Do I have the wrong size slinky? ( the rv shop only had the one size.) Or should I take a saw and cut the hole bigger? Please advise!!

riverdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome and congrats on your new MH. This doesn’t sound right although I’ve not owned this brand. Can you post a photo ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:24 PM   #3

Not today, Im away from home working. So im guessing that the hose actually should go down through that big hole eh?
riverdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Same way on mine. The raw end would go through but not with the fittings attached. I removed and replaced with a 5" deck plate purchased at the local marine supply.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #5

Without a picture, we can't be sure of what the exact issue is. I have found on both my coaches (a National Tropi Cal and my current Alpine) that the hole is just a bit small, but if I tilt the coupling just a bit and move the "ears" of the connector as I push up from under the floor of the bay, I can insert the slinky. I have also inserted the "non-ears" end first, from the inside of the bay, and found that it works also but you have to thread the entire slinky through.

If the hole is truly too small to fit the slinky with the couplings attached, you can buy a larger hole cover assembly. Remove the current assembly, enlarge the hole, and install the new assembly.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You could cut a larger hole and put a face plate with cover when not in use.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Va...UaAqeoEALw_wcB

Old 08-13-2019, 01:29 PM   #7

Is there a rubber grommet at the hole that may have become deformed or displaced? The cone end won't go through the deck hole in mine, either. But the other end does. I pass the upstream end UP through the hole and latch it. It's a tight fit, but it goes.
rodekyll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:29 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks like all three of us had similar ideas and were typing together.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:46 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
What brand is the hose? That may be the issue.
I spoke to the rep for EZ Rv hose(the red one) at an RV show & he said there was no design change. The ears will not fit thru the hole.
TOM356C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:16 PM   #10

I use a clear 5" sewer extension.
lnicols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:42 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Why I can't answer but on our 06 Dolphin the of hose with the pegs can be worked through. Not as efficient as the other end fitting but is doable. Threatened to replace with bigger but haven't yet in 12 years.

2006 Dolphin 5355 Future CC owner
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:07 AM   #12

I had the same problem with my 2005 Sea Breeze. I replaced the existing hatch with a larger 5" hole. A little modification with a Dremel tool and all is well.
Traildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:42 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Second vote for slightly enlarging the hole. It shouldn't take much. I used a sawz-all on the plastic parts.

Also, I trimmed the ears off of the hose connector. It all works like it should now.

The orange hose connectors - I forget the name - are great hoses, but a little too big!
Old 08-14-2019, 04:54 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are 4 ears on the sewer hose that are hand grips. Saw them off and it will go through the opening.
I did this 10 years age, works great.
Also I use a 45 degree clear elbow so that it lines up with the hole in the basement.

hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote