Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #1

Windshield broke while leveling

I have a 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8360. I was leveling after it had settled at home. I had just stopped and I was still in the drivers seat when there was a loud "BANG" then the corner of the windshield over my head shattered. I had the windshield replaced but the center seam never was tight enough to stay sealed, there is a constant whistle (I believe through the fiberglass above the windshield) and the top front appears to sway a lot. The new windshield broke at about 100 miles in the same corner while driving on a flat road - Thruway.
So my question is has anyone else had this experience? I'm concerned the frame is broke but I'm not sure where to look and I can't ask National RV.
Joebinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Sorry to hear of your problems. When they replaced the windshield, did they only deal with the broken half or take out, reseal, and re install the other side too? The side that broke could have been pinched by the other side being pushed out of position, or fail to seat properly because the unbroken side could is slightly out of line. Good luck with it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Do you still have the heavy glass tube TV in the overhead? These cause a lot of movement in the front cap and will cause windshield problems.

Dick
Old 01-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Get a referral to a RV Repair facility from your insurance company. Let them remove and inspect the frame and rubber gasket. Also check if the windshield was made in China or USA. Demand USA.
I had a similar problem, the manufacturer referred me to a place to get my windshield replaced and they did a bad job. Result was the windshield slid down and air/rain could enter. As the manufacture referred me to the facility, they were liable for warrantee work. I was sent to another facility after complaining and they reset the windshield properly at no charge to me.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:41 PM   #5

Bought a motorhome that had the same issue, had the windshields pulled, new seal installed, then re-install, no issues since. As to leveling, always raise the front jacks first, give yourself at least 3-4 inches of travel otherwise your rear jacks will torque the coach and pop or break the windshield.
1oldMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldMarine View Post
As to leveling, always raise the front jacks first, give yourself at least 3-4 inches of travel otherwise your rear jacks will torque the coach and pop or break the windshield.
I disagree as many coaches have automatic jacks. If the back end is low, the rear jacks will push first. I believe the issue is the integrity of construction of the house, especially up forward. Take a bunch of factory tours and you will see that not all MHs are created equal.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:06 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That "Bang" you heard was a weld or rivet breaking. That will have to be addressed first before you replace another windshield. You need a good RV body and frame expert, and I have no suggestions as to where one is. Maybe someone on here knows of such a place in your area.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
I don't have auto leveling jacks, but I do lower them 2 at a time. 2 front, 2 rear, or 2 left, 2 right, always in pairs. That way less chance of twisting the frame.

Since the original windshield replacement left issues in center line and top, I still think the unbroken side was out of position and whenever installing a new half, the other half should also be removed and remounted.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:29 AM   #10

Broken windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

Sorry to hear of your problems. When they replaced the windshield, did they only deal with the broken half or take out, reseal, and re install the other side too? The side that broke could have been pinched by the other side being pushed out of position, or fail to seat properly because the unbroken side could is slightly out of line. Good luck with it.
My windshield cracked after a tow truck pulled my MH off a curb. Thanks for the tip on having unbroken side reset and sealed too. Haven't had damage fixed yet so I hope AARP Hartford will pay for resetting unbroken side.
inspector8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Your Sea Breeze no doubt has Power Gear Levers like most of that vintage National models. These have the front jacks connected together hydraulically so they behave like one jack positioned on the center line of the coach. With this set up you need to lower the front jacks first until both are on the ground then the back jacks till both are on the ground. When you level side to side you do it with one of the rear jacks only. With both front jacks on the ground the coach will pivot side to side without tweaking the frame because the fluid will flow from one front jack to the other, one up one down effectively like one jack in the middle.

So if indeed you have a Power Gear system always lower the front first, then the back and then do the side to side. One way to tell is look at the reservoir tank for the jacks, if it has three valves then yours is like I described. The valves are the three round things just above the black tank in the attached picture. Your tank is probably up front just behind the headlights on the drivers side.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3213.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	56178  
Old 02-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #12

I believe the windshield frame flexes too much from stress transfer from the chassis. Sorry National, but your Dura Frame is not so solid. My left windshield cracked with a loud bang from driving at an angle over a shallow dip. I also had a slide-out arm cover panel pop off from getting pushed against the adjacent side panel when adjusting the rear jacks side to side per Dick Berry's routine above. My chassis is a real twister. I can tell from all the creaks while driving over uneven surfaces.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to macstonedude Send a message via Skype™ to macstonedude
Had the same problem when I had a brain fart last year and started to level the coach without having all four jacks down. TheRge bang and cracking of the driver side glass was due to the stress put on it from the twisting. Always (as others have ready stated) put the four feet on the ground first before lifting one side or the other. In my case the opposite side windshield was shoved out of position as well. The glass techs removed, cleaned, the. Set the passenger side glass in place and then then installed the new driver side glass. Works well (now). Duncan glass worked in conjunction with the insurance to get me back on the road (without ten yards of gorilla tape holding the windshield together).
macstonedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:01 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In addition to putting the front jacks down first, my owners manual says to lift the front about 3" before putting the rear down and leveling.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling