Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Winterize 99 Seaview, 31'

I will soon be winterizing my 31'-99 Seaview for the first time. I've searched forums but haven't found anything specific to the Seaview. I don't have an air compressor and was hoping to winterize by draining the water, and pumping antifreeze into all the correct places. How can I be sure I found all the correct places?

I have a gas engine and Generac generator that I assume will need attention to.

Any advice would be appreciated.
TBorstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If your Seaview is the same as my Dolphin, it will have a inlet to pump. Once you have drained your freshwater system, use the pump to empty the lines to your fawcets, empty hot water tank, turn valves to corect positions, bypass HW tank, city water(no tank), and inlet to pump. Make a short garden hose, and put the end right into the antifreeze jug. turn the pump on, then start opening your faucets till yo get a steady stream of pink from each. I used 3gal to do mine. once done, go dump your holding tanks.
Your gen will need to be run each month with a decent load, ( space heater, microwave etc ) for at least half an hour .
Old 09-27-2013, 06:36 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yea, what Wideglide said.. Your water pump will pull the antifreeze through the system.. For the motor and generator, I like fresh oil for storage time, check engine coolant also. Then a good lube job and its almost ready to go next season.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I add Stabil to my fuel fill my tank and then run the generator to get stabilized fuel in the lines.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Just a little addition if you have an ice maker. The method I use, I disconnect the water line from the freezer at the solenoid. This will gravity drain. Then I disconnect the water line to the solenoid and shake the solenoid to get the water out. Now run the pump until pink stuff comes out the water line. Then turn the icemaker water line off under the kitchen sink. This prevents filling the back of the fridge with water in the Spring

You can just keep the ice maker running and allow the A/F to cycle its way through the system. But this could take a day and the same in the spring. You also have to figure out how to get the A/F out of it and many report bad tasting ice after.

Another thought is A/F in all the traps.

To make mine easy to winterize, I placed a T in the suction line between the tank and pump and placed a 3' hose on it. Then of course 2 shut off valves to switch between tank and hose. Now I just turn 2 valves and stick the hose in a jug of A/F and pump it through the system.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #6

How come I never got a ice maker !!!!!!!!

Oh well, new rig has ice & water in the fridge door .
May have to switch from beer to scotch !
Old 10-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the Advice

Thanks for the input. I think I got it winterized. At least pink anti-freeze came out all the faucets. We had to hold the AF container above the suction port since it didn't have much suction capacity. I don't have an ice maker so didn't have to figure that part out.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #8

Did you remember the toilet, toilet sprayer, and outside shower .
Old 10-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the reminder. I did get the inside and outside shower hoses and the toiler sprayer.

The one question I have left is the line to the water heater. I drained the water heater and then bypassed the heater during the AF pumping. But does the line to the water heater self drain somewhere? I didn't know if I should pump a small amount of AF into the water heater to protect that line.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
No, you should not put antifreeze in the hot water tank.
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter