Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #1

winterizing

Tradewinds model 7373. Time to winterize again and again am having a problem getting it done. I follow the directions, and yes i do turn the hot water heater by-pass the correct way, yet i still pump the anti freeze into the hot water heater. If you have this model of MH, can someone tell me in detail how to do it. Is the inlet to pump or the city water the correct connection point. I tried the inlet to pump and nothing happened, i then hooked the hand pump to the city water inlet turned the water heater by-pass handle the correct way yet i still pump all the anti-freeze into the hot water tank. I also have another Question: On the bottom of the water heater tank there is a one way valve. Which way does the Arrow on the valve point? toward the tank or away from the tank.
rivrduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #2

I don't have your model but all the hot water by-passes I have used actually have 3 separate valves that have to be turned. One each close the the entrance and exit from the heater to be closed and then one on a line between the two to be opened. If you are putting anti-freeze into your system after the heater is by-passed you should have the pump inlet fed from the anti-freeze container. Also don't forget to pull the screen out of the tank fill input and give the one way check valve there a push to get some anti-freeze there too. I learned that one the hard way. Hope this helps a bit.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #3

correct,you have to turn the valves as per you instructions in you compartment. if you can't pump from your antifreeze container you have to attach a funnel to the hose still attached to your pump port
holding it higher than your pump turn on your pump and feed the antifreeze through your funnel. I have a 7372 and it works very well. Have somone in you coach to open the taps as needed Takes about 5 minutes for all. Make sure the pink antifreeze comes out of your taps.
Gerald Duerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
water heater

valves for hot and cold should be turned the oppsite direction of these when bypassing heater,bypass valve to the left stays as is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16651.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	29140  
Old 11-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Duk
You don't have the valve arrangement like in the prior post. You only have the one valve to turn to bypass and if you still get anti freeze in the hot water tank than you either have a bad valve or a bad check valve that lets it pass. Here is a link to both the Watts regulator used in some Tradewinds and the discreet plumbing method used in others.
I don't add Antifreeze in the input. I blow it out with 40 lbs of air pressure instead. When that stuff gets into the water heater it takes weeks for the water to not foam in the spring. I even found after flushing out the cold lines it still foamed. Where you live you could blow it out as well and just put the pink stuff in the traps, it just doesn't get that cold for long periods of time and if you've blown out all the water there is nothing to freeze. If I lived in Minnesota or something I would worry about the lines cracking in the winter but you and I don't live in the frozen north.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67fff392766057#cid=AE67FFF392766057&id=AE67 FFF392766057%212758
Dick
Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Looking at thread #4 with the back side of the water heater.
To me if you close the top and bottom valves you will receive cold water.
And if you close the middle valve you will get hot water.
If I was going to winterize my R.V. I would drain my water heater and leave it empty until I was going to use it again.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:12 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Walter View Post
Looking at thread #4 with the back side of the water heater.
To me if you close the top and bottom valves you will receive cold water.
And if you close the middle valve you will get hot water.
If I was going to winterize my R.V. I would drain my water heater and leave it empty until I was going to use it again.
Just a thought.
You can't get hot water if the valve is closed,and besides the hotwater heater should be drained,and water tank drained,so the only water is in the lines,blow them out add antifreeze,and your system is ready for winter.That is if you bypass the waterheater,so you don't get antifreeze in the waterheater.