RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Winterizing

Years ago when we stayed home during the winter, I just winterized the water, etc. and left the MH plugged in and checked the batteries once a month for water and ran the generator once a month.
The past 6+ years we drive the MH south, so the extent of winterizing was blowing the water lines out while it is in storage down here (Arizona), and going out to check the water in batteries and run the generator.
Next year we are contemplating driving south in the car and leaving the MH in Boise at our house. Besides winterizing the water lines etc. what should be done since I am not there to check the water in the battery, nor run the generator. I do use Stabil in gas.
appreciate all thoughts..
Gary

2005 Dolphin
Gdlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2018, 12:20 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When you're checking the batteries during the winter did you ever have to add water? If not they'll be fine if left on a smart charger. Just asking because I've never had to add water over the winter. Adding Stabil to the fuel tanks is always a good idea for long term storage. Since you didn't mention it I assume you've never had critter problems either.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:37 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
When you're checking the batteries during the winter did you ever have to add water? If not they'll be fine if left on a smart charger. Just asking because I've never had to add water over the winter. Adding Stabil to the fuel tanks is always a good idea for long-term storage. Since you didn't mention it I assume you've never had critter problems either.
I did once, and put those white glue boards around and seemed to stop it.
the charger that I use is the one in the motorhome...I "assume" it is smart

2005 Dolphin
Old 12-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If in doubt I'd remove the battery cables and put a battery tender on them. Even a small .75 amp battery tender (which is what I use) is enough.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:47 PM   #5

For the batteries all you have to do is charge them fully, then remove the ground cable from the chassis and house batteries.
Use Stabil in the gas.
garym114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garym114 View Post
For the batteries all you have to do is charge them fully, then remove the ground cable from the chassis and house batteries.
Use Stabil in the gas.
Had toyed with this idea, but a little concerned about battery freezing if it got really cold...Boise has a standard inversion every year that keeps temps down.

2005 Dolphin
Old 12-06-2018, 09:06 PM   #7

I fully charge the trolling batteries in the bass boat, disconnect the grounds and they are fine all winter long here in Wisconsin. I do throw a maintenance charger on the coach batteries in the 05 Dolphin but I would feel fine if I just treated them like the bass boat.
Craig K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdlow View Post
Had toyed with this idea, but a little concerned about battery freezing if it got really cold...Boise has a standard inversion every year that keeps temps down.
My motorhome, with six 6 volt batteries, 12 volt chassis battery and toad with battery, spent four winters in Anchorage in open storage. All I did was charge all fully and disconnect the ground cable. It got down to -32 degrees one winter.
We flew up in the spring and back to Texas in the fall.
No problems with any of the batteries. A charged battery will not freeze.
garym114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:10 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garym114 View Post
My motorhome, with six 6 volt batteries, 12 volt chassis battery and toad with battery, spent four winters in Anchorage in open storage. All I did was charge all fully and disconnect the ground cable. It got down to -32 degrees one winter.
We flew up in the spring and back to Texas in the fall.
No problems with any of the batteries. A charged battery will not freeze.
Good to know...

2005 Dolphin
Old 12-07-2018, 09:41 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdlow View Post
Good to know...
If you are worried about critters we do the following. Place moth balls inside of perforated empty water bottles at each tire. Cotton balls soaked with peppermint oil in dixie cups spread out inside. Also use a few packs if Fresh Cab placed inside.
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.elliott63 View Post
If you are worried about critters we do the following. Place moth balls inside of perforated empty water bottles at each tire. Cotton balls soaked with peppermint oil in dixie cups spread out inside. Also use a few packs if Fresh Cab placed inside.
I will try these, but not sure what this is?.. "a few packs if Fresh Cab placed inside"

2005 Dolphin
Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Fresh cab is a botanical non poisonous rodent repellent. It comes in cloth pouches. You buy it in a box of 4 packs from Tractor Supply, Rural King or most farm stores. Also can be bought from Amazon. Peppermint oil we got at GNC. They knew when we asked for it that we wanted it for mouse repellent. Moth balls at the tires keeps them from climbing up that way usually. Good luck.
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.elliott63 View Post
Fresh cab is a botanical non poisonous rodent repellent. It comes in cloth pouches. You buy it in a box of 4 packs from Tractor Supply, Rural King or most farm stores. Also can be bought from Amazon. Peppermint oil we got at GNC. They knew when we asked for it that we wanted it for mouse repellent. Moth balls at the tires keeps them from climbing up that way usually. Good luck.
Here is a pic of a Fresh Cab packet.Click image for larger version

Name:	20181208_110811.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	228409
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Youtube has great videos for real cold weather winterizing methods for motorhomes, which include tips on where to use antifreeze and how to drain all your major components and what plumbing fitting to separate, and how to keep rodents out.

Bounder28T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter