Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Won't Start

I have a 2002 Sea Breeze Scout and it wouldn't start this morning. I took it out a few weeks ago just to put a few miles on it but it wouldn't start so had to jump it. I also have a switch that will let the house batteries start when the engine battery while not but that didn't work either. Just clicked. Hard to believe that all three batteries are bad.

Any thoughts.

Thanks!
BarryN514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #2

All I can say is that if you ran the engine battery dead a couple of times it probably shot now. I don't know why the house batteries would not start it I didn't know that was even possible. I don't have a RV like your's I'm just trying to help in any way that I can.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you had to jump it last time. Driving just a few miles wasn't enough to charge the batteries up.

You need to put a battery charger on them and get them all back to a full charge.
If you don't have electric where you park it. Then you will have to take them out and get them charged elsewhere.

If you live where it gets to freezing. With them low it is a good chance of freezing them. Then all will need to replaced for sure.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #4

Lots of questions...
Is it plugged into shore power where it is parked ?
Assuming no, how long has it been since it was started ?
Are the coach batteries charged up ?
Do you switch off the coach batteries with the "salesman switch" when stored ?
When you push the emergency start switch, and it clicks, does it seem like power is sent to the chassis ? Even if not enough to start it.
Do you know if the BIRD system is working and allowing cross connecting and charging of the batteries ?

There are parasytic draws on both battery banks that will drain them over time if they are connected to the system. The time can be a few weeks to months. It takes hours to recharge a dead battery. If you can get the batteries charged and give some more info there are some guys here that are very good at helping you.

Tom
Old 01-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompen View Post
Lots of questions...
Is it plugged into shore power where it is parked ?
Assuming no, how long has it been since it was started ?
Are the coach batteries charged up ?
Do you switch off the coach batteries with the "salesman switch" when stored ?
When you push the emergency start switch, and it clicks, does it seem like power is sent to the chassis ? Even if not enough to start it.
Do you know if the BIRD system is working and allowing cross connecting and charging of the batteries ?

There are parasytic draws on both battery banks that will drain them over time if they are connected to the system. The time can be a few weeks to months. It takes hours to recharge a dead battery. If you can get the batteries charged and give some more info there are some guys here that are very good at helping you.

Tom
No shore power where I park the coach. It was started a few weeks ago.Not sure if they are charged up or not but when I jumped it a few weeks ago, I drove it for about 30 miles also with the gen on. Waited about 20 minutes and then started the engine again and it fired right up. I turn off the switch that is by the door that kills everything every time I leave the coach. Not sure what the BIRD system is?

With the switch on by the door, everything works, lights, steps. When I tired to start the engine with the house batteries, just clicked.

Now we have had a few days of 30 degree weather but just over night.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
clean your battery posts.
on a trip in Oct, drove a full day, parked at nite, tried to start- just a click- yup- cleaned battery posts- even though they may look ok- and away we went. happens to everyone- and guranteed to happen when you don't want it to.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Will try that tomorrow.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #8

Barry:
The question is what clicks when you push the emergency start switch. You may need help. The isolation relay is probably under the hood next to the battery. It will have heavy guage wires on large terminals and one or two small wires. It looks like an old ford starter solenoid but is probably silver. It has chassis battery voltage on one side and coach battery voltage on the other side. This should click with the switch and connect the two heavy wires so all batteries are hooked together. As Ernie said make sure the connections on the battery are good. A quick check is to connect the large wires together. You could use a jumper cable if there is room.
You will need a 12V test light or volt meter to go much further.
The BIRD is a system to close this relay automatically so the alternator can charge the coach batteries and the convertor and generator can charge the chassas battery.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
All three batteries are under the steps. I can't think what would have drained all three because when I leave the coach, last thing I do is click the kill switch on my way out just incase I left something on.

When I try to use coach batteries to start the rig, it sounds just like it does when I use the engine battery.

This has just started since we have had some cold weather and I know that normally will let you know that your battery is weak but all three?

I even checked the water level a few weeks ago. Tomorrow I will clean all post.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryN514 View Post
All three batteries are under the steps. I can't think what would have drained all three because when I leave the coach, last thing I do is click the kill switch on my way out just incase I left something on.

When I try to use coach batteries to start the rig, it sounds just like it does when I use the engine battery.

This has just started since we have had some cold weather and I know that normally will let you know that your battery is weak but all three?

I even checked the water level a few weeks ago. Tomorrow I will clean all post.
I had a similar situation, and one of my batteries was bad. The bad battery kept draining the parallel good one....
Old 01-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #11

Do you hear the click when you push the emergency start switch. This should be a momentary switch. You have to hold it in while turning the ignition switch to start.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompen View Post
Do you hear the click when you push the emergency start switch. This should be a momentary switch. You have to hold it in while turning the ignition switch to start.
I held the switch on while trying to start but just clicked.

Quote:
The bad battery kept draining the parallel good one....
That I didn't know.

THANKS for all the replies!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #13

Before trying to start the engine:

1. With the ignition switch off, cycle the emergency start switch on and off quickly about 10 times. This may help to clean the internal contacts in the solinoid and give you a better connection.

2. Hold the emergency switch on for 2 minutes. This will allow the chassis battery to be charged a bit from the house batteries.

3. Leave the emergency switch off for 2 minutes to allow the house batteries to recover.

4. Hold the emergency switch on and try to start the engine.

If no luck, and you have good jumper cables, attach a running car to the chassis battery for five minutes to partially charge it. Then try starting.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just got back from Pep Boys and they charged the battery and then tested it and said if would good. Water level is good and I did clean the post and cables even they looked ok.

Prior to taking the battery out, the dash lights work and the running lights seem to be ok. When trying to start it, is just clicked fast but did not turn the engine. With my MH in storage lot there is no shore power so cannot connect that.

Put the battery back in and it started right up.

Can't figure why my 2 house batteries would not start the coach with the emergency switch on the dash. Now those batteries seem to be low because I tried to start the gen and didn't seem like there was enough power to start it. mmmmmmm Like I said above, I always turn the power switch off by the door prior to leaving the coach.