Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #1

FYI. I received a recall notice from Workhorse. An improperly heat treated fuel rail clip is the problem. The service center replaced it, mine broke during removal. A broken clip can cause a fuel leak and fire. I see on the workhorse site the problem effects 2004-2006 W22/W24 chassis models with the GM 8.1 liter engine, possibly others. I would guess it probably effects all GM 8.1 liter engines in that year range, I just didn't look them all up.
Mike H 2002 Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I received the replacement clip with a notice about a year ago and self installed it. The PITA of having to bring the coach to Mr. RV fixit guy made no sense for a 10 minute job. Only problem is that my chassis is not updated in the database to have been fixed by an "authorized" wrench. I'll take my chances.
I got an other notice in the mail yesterday. I haven't opened. Did they send you the replacement clip?
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rick,

What did the notice that you recieved in the mail yesterday say, may I ask?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not know. I haven't opened it up yet. I was in Texas all week and just got home a day ago. That pile of mail will be opened this weekend. I'm going to guess that because the records do not show the fuel clip replaced yet, it is urging me to take care of it soon.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #5

I got the notice marked "second notice" this week although I don't believe I was notified before. The notice describes the problem and warns if the clip breaks a fuel leak can occur. I didn't get a clip with my notice, but agree it is easily replaced. The mechanic took about 20 minutes getting my dog house cover off and on due to alignment issues but the actual clip replacement took about a minute. Workhorse sends a prepaid post card for the owner to complete indicating the problem was fixed, motorhome sold, etc. Below is a description from workhorse.

2006 Workhorse W22 - (30,335 vehicles affected) - Campaign #06V225000
SUMMARY:
ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
DESCRIPTION:
ON CERTAIN MOTOR HOME AND TRUCK CHASSIS EQUIPPED WITH GENERAL MOTORS 8.1L V8 ENGINES, IMPROPER HARDENING DURING THE HEAT TREATMENT PROCESS CAN CAUSE THE FUEL RAIL PULSE DAMPER RETAINER CLIP TO FRACTURE, RESULTING IN INADEQUATE RETENTION OF THE DAMPER. IF THE DAMPER BECOMES LOOSE, FUEL COULD BE PUMPED BY THE FUEL PUMP INTO THE UNDER HOOD AREA.
CONSEQUENCE:
IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, A FIRE COULD RESULT.
CORRECTIVE ACTION:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL RAIL PULSE DAMPER RETAINER CLIPS ON THESE ENGINES FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON SEPTEMBER 1, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT WORKHORSE AT 877-294-6773.
NOTES:
WORKHORSE RECALL NO. 60601C.CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION+S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO http://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
Mike H 2002 Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:08 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376:
I received the replacement clip with a notice about a year ago and self installed it. The PITA of having to bring the coach to Mr. RV fixit guy made no sense for a 10 minute job. Only problem is that my chassis is not updated in the database to have been fixed by an "authorized" wrench. I'll take my chances.
I got an other notice in the mail yesterday. I haven't opened. Did they send you the replacement clip?
you can go to the Workhorse web site and update the info your self. This is important for future recalls.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:36 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the info. I'm going over to the website to update.
Cheers
Old 01-24-2009, 08:51 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I might suggest having the Fuel Rail Clip be replaced by a autherized dealer. Reason, if not and clip breaks or accidently comes off you could have a major fuel leak fire. Do you think that your insurance will cover damages because you ignored a 2 1/2 year old recall that required a autherized dealer to replace it? Besides, you won't have it registered as a completed recall campaign by Workhorse.

Ed
WCMC - VP, West Rallies
Old 01-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I didn't ignore a 2 1/2 year old recall. I installed the clip the day I got it. I have no worry that it will come off. It was installed properly and I even sent the old one back to workhorse.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I took mine in to Lazy Days last year, and they took 8 hours, to do the Clip and change a fuel filter. (Said they couldn't locate where the fuel filter was on the chassis. I gave them a print out of the instructions on changing the clip, and they must have let an idiot do the job. When I got home, I pulled The "doghouse, to check and there was burnt dried fuel all over the Manifold. I called WH and even e-mailed pictures of it to Al Stegich-, whom I had spoken to about the incident. NEVER HEARD BACK FROM WHC.

I do my own Maintenance, and should have done the clip change.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by speed racer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376:
you can go to the Workhorse web site and update the info your self. This is important for future recalls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No you can't. I sent an email to WorkHorse and got a reply that we must go to a service center for the recall. Then and only then will they update the fix as done.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm with you rogueii,if I can possibly do the work,I will.Thankfully,my genes make me mechanicle.I can't spell,or a lot,and I mean a lot of things that come so naturly to other people.But these contraptions we drive down the road have about million separate parts just waiting to bite me in the butt.I feel very lucky that I can help in the maintenence of my baby.Now I wish I had been a truck wrench instead of a carpenter.I do feel for the owners that might be Drs,Profs,smart people,but just don't know which end of a screw driver to pick up.

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:01 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
WOW.. I read about the recall here on the forums in oh,what 2006, Checked the web site,found my rig was included, Contacted Workhoerse and they E-mailed me the recall letter.. Took it up to my local Workhorse A.S.C. and said "I'd like to get this done in 2 weeks" They told me "No way we can't get the part by then (note, i'ts only 4 miles to the Service Center) I told 'em schedule the appointment

They did.. I came home and called Alan over at Workhorse, He dropped the part off on his way home (Turns out I'm on his way home)

I taped it to his business card and 2 weeks later handed it over to the service consultant

I get great service there now.. (Alan is the national service manager for Workhorse, so if you are an authorized service center. He is BOSS!)

He also suggested strongly that I NOT try to do the work myself.

Well.. I was going to the service center anyway (Oil change, 70 bucks) and the recall is covered,parts and labor.. So WHY SHOULD I GET DIRTY when they can do it for me.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Im happy you got it taken care of and get good service now but I think that's pretty sad to have to do that just to get service. What about the rest of us unlucky ones out there trying to get service. Can you make a copy of his card and send us all one? Im just kidding of coarse. Safe Travels