Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #1

Yikes! Awning breakdown

LOL! I’m just glad this happened in our own backyard and not on a trip. Lots of rain came down last night. Besides the obvious replace the whole thing, any suggestions ideas or tips? It’s a 1996 33’ Sea Breeze. Here are the pictures of our disaster…

lyndercc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I know it's crule, but why was the awning out in bad weather?

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #3

Not cruel at all, it was pretty much a stupid (and probably expensive) newbie mistake. The RV is in our backyard right now so we can do fix ups and what-not, and the weather only called for light rain. Believe me, it was a big time learning experience! Again, I’m just glad we didn’t make this mistake on a trip! So that being said, do you have any suggestions that might be helpful like how to disassemble and remove it safely? We will try to stay out of the rain…

~Lynda
lyndercc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #4

The good news is all needed parts are available through an A&E dealer, either local or online. If you are mechanically inclined, you might get away with $500 in parts if the fabric is OK. One problem is the shipping you will pay for that awning tube $$$. If you're thinking of having it done, the best option is probably a complete new awning for around $1500.

How you remove the damaged awning depends on which repair solution you choose. If you choose a new awning, just get on a ladder or the roof and cut the fabric just below the metal shield and release the arms from the lower attaching brackets. loosen the adjuster knob on the upper rafter arms and slide out the lower sctions. Tape the upper rafter arms to the side of the coach and drive to the repair site.

If you want to repair the existing awning, you are faced with a couple of tricky operations. The first is relieving he tension on the roll-up spring at the forward end of the tube. The second is removing the fabric from the damaged tube without ripping it. Normally, you would slide the tube off the fabric through the open end of the retention grooves but with the tube kinked, this is not goint to work. However you do these operations, it is at least a 2 person job. If what I have said does't make complete sense, have the job done by a pro. There is definitely the possibility of injury here.

Good Luck
Capt. Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
[QUOTE=Capt. Flipper;658413]
If you are mechanically inclined, you might get away with $500 in parts if the fabric is OK.
If you want to repair the existing awning, you are faced with a couple of tricky operations. The first is relieving he tension on the roll-up spring at the forward end of the tube. The second is removing the fabric from the damaged tube without ripping it. Normally, you would slide the tube off the fabric through the open end of the retention grooves but with the tube kinked, this is not going to work.

Thank you for the response, I was able to get it rolled back up without damage to the fabric and safely secured. Thanks to your info, I looked up the parts diagram through A&E, was releaved I can get the individual parts.
Now the trick, as you said, is to get the tube removed without damaging the fabric.
For safety, I was thinking I'll put pins in each end cap (similar to the shipping cotter pins) to help lock it down. Then I could manualy unroll it and then go ahead and finish breaking the tube in half and remove each half from their end sides.
I'll need to study a little more on removing the end caps, being they are still under load.
By the way I'm the idiot (Lynda's husband with the tail between the legs) that left the awning out in the bad weather.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
This link will help you if you want to DIY.
http://www.rverscorner.com/RV_Awning_Repair.html
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:00 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Thanks much, very useful info.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:54 AM   #8

What about insurance?
Gary B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:45 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
On thing you may want to consider if you leave your awning up overnight again is to tilt the awning to one side. It doesn't help much with the wind but it does prevent the water from pooling on the awning fabric.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:30 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
What about insurance?
Can you insure on stupidity?
Actually, it'll cost less to rebuild it myself, but thanks for the thought.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
On thing you may want to consider if you leave your awning up overnight again is to tilt the awning to one side. It doesn't help much with the wind but it does prevent the water from pooling on the awning fabric.
Yes, I agree, I just forgot about it being and the storm rolling in overnight.
Bet I won't forget it next time though. Live and learn or is it life is a learning experience!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:40 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
O Oh, the wife Lynda woke up and is giving me a hard time asking me if I have broken anything yet, it's not the weekend till I've broken something, then I spend the rest of the weekend fixing it, humm!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #13

Might be a good time to upgrade to a fully automatic awning, G
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:12 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GENECOP View Post
Might be a good time to upgrade to a fully automatic awning, G
That's a good thought. I'll check it out.
Thank you