RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2018, 01:08 PM   #1

Exclamation 06 Allegro Bay Atwood Jack Stuck

I did a little searching here and didn't find anything related so if this needs to go to another forum feel free.

Driver's side jack stuck in extended position.

Other 3 jacks are retracted.

Reset control unit (unplugged) (pressing all 4 jack buttons simultaneously)

Unplugged errant jack and tried to get system reset to no avail.

Plugged jack back in still won't retract. It's not ratcheting like it does when fully retracted, just makes a constant yurt yurt yurt sound.

Tried to extend all jacks, the ext light doesnt come on. Tried anyway in case LED had burned out but EXT is not activating at all.

I'm stuck!

Anyone know any tips or tricks for this?

Thanks,
Ghost

Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #2

We have an 07 and have had same issues. Found a broken pin where the jack screw goes into the gear and motor portion that sheared off. Our repair service found a pin ( they are special tapered pins ) installed it, and it sheared off. Atwood sold to another company which now no longer makes jack parts. No support for this jack any longer! Unless you wish to have a different brand installed and have several thousand dollars to spend. You and I are out of luck. We just level with wood under tires and use 4 scissor jacks against the old jacks to somewhat stablize the coach. Works for us. BTW, we used chain to bolt the bad jack into the up position. If you find another solution, I would love to hear about it!

Old 03-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #3

I'm not sure if you're trying to retract the jack so you can get on the road, or if it's just not working and you want to fix it. Some suggestions for both:

Just trying to retract it: You can unplug the cable going directly to the jack and by using a 12V source (battery or jumper) you can see if the motor will run and retract the jack. Of course you can put a jack under the frame and lift it so you can unbolt the jack. I believe Atwoods have a place on the jack where a suitable piece can be inserted and turned by an electric drill. Your documentation should tell you how to do this. It's been a while since I had Atwood Jacks.

Trying to troubleshoot/fix: Pull off the jack and disassemble the head. Just watch closely how it comes apart or take a lot of pictures. Once the motor is free, a 12V electrical source can be used to check it out. When disassembling the head you'll find gears that are held in position by small drift pins. In many cases a pin will shear and the spring brake will hold the jack in the last position. When last I checked, Atwood would NOT sell you these pins, and I never found them available from any source. As a result, I'd measure their diameter with a micrometer or caliper and buy a numbered drill at my local hardware store that was very close to the same size. A Dremel tool with a cut off wheel will cut the drill shank to the correct length and the new pin can then be substituted for the broken one. I never had a drill shank break, and traded the rig with over 70,000 miles. Re-assembly can be messy with the grease on everything, but this job is well within the capabilities of the average do-it yourselfer. The other option is replace the jack, but that's pricey.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #4

Need to retract the jack so I can move the coach lol. Atwood said to check the shear pin by trying to life the jack manually. Ain't budging so I assume the shear pin is okay.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:53 PM   #5

Then I would try what the gentleman said with the 12v source. I have also heard that if the motor wire plug ins aren't making good contact from dirt or grease it could be the source of problems.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #6

If all else fails and you can get a wood 2x4 under the jack and put pressure on it and maybe it will come up. A member of our camping club paid $350 to get someone out, when jack wouldn't come up, when they were trying to go home. Guys checked out jacks, then took a board and got it moving. Dave
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
Need to retract the jack so I can move the coach lol. Atwood said to check the shear pin by trying to life the jack manually. Ain't budging so I assume the shear pin is okay.
Not quite the whole story. Depending on which jack you are actually having problems with, there are 2, 3 or even more pins in that head. The only way to find if a pin has sheared, and which one is broken is to disassemble. I definitely wouldn't disassemble it with weight on it. On my old ones they were held to the frame with 4 bolts. You'll need a half inch drive, a 3/4" socket and an extension.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:05 PM   #8

Yep have considered just removing it. It's the rear driver side jack. And it's in mud. Kinda wondering if that was the reason. Maybe it didn't retract within the requisite time and pissed-off the computer?

I can get a shovel under it but it won't budge.

Not confident it has any weight on it at all...
Old 04-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #9

Cool Issue resolution

Mobile RV tech removed stuck jack and replaced broken washer under shear pin at top of shaft.

$385.00 to replace a $0.20 part.

Back in business.

Lesson learned.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Apparently Atwood is out of business. Just had to replace my entire leveling system because parts not available for the 2008 Allegro Bay Atwood system. Of course, my Good Sam Extended warranty only covers OEM replacement. Thus, I am stuck paying for a whole new system!
jtulloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtulloch View Post
Apparently Atwood is out of business. Just had to replace my entire leveling system because parts not available for the 2008 Allegro Bay Atwood system. Of course, my Good Sam Extended warranty only covers OEM replacement. Thus, I am stuck paying for a whole new system!

Sent from my SM-G950U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 05-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #12

I have the same issue. What did you repave yours with and if I may ask, how much?

Sent from my SM-G950U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 05-03-2018, 04:48 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
MH is still at the shop. i'll get the info and post it. the new system is hydraulic and should eliminate the problem of gear ratcheting which did in the Atwood system.
jtulloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:50 AM   #14

Thanks, much appreciated!

Tags
atwood, allegro