RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
After looking at many brands of MH's in our quest to trade our 01 Monaco Dynasty to a 4 slide newer MH, I have found an 06 Phaeton with very, very low miles ...which can be good and bad, I suppose. I already know that Tiffin had a window issue in 06 and has replaced fogged windows on warranty...I was also told that there is no charger to the starting battery? I assume that when plugged in the house batteries float charge...but there is no indicator in the coach to tell you that??? It just indicates battery condition..
Any other feed back on Phaeton's would be appreciated. We like the coach and are close to making it happen!

teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bruce,
I had a Trik-L-Start installed on mine. Have never had a chassis battery problem. When loading, keep in mind that with the batteries and W/D behind the rear wheels on the right side those tires are carrying up to (or maybe more) than 1,000 lbs more than the LR. My axel weights generally run 11,100 on the front and 18,500 - 19,000 on the rear. I'm not sure how we could put enough stuff in it to max it out. I don't know if it is the same for your Dynasty, but heat for the water bay comes from the rear gas heater.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Jim: Thanks for the info...in my Dynasty, the washer/dryer sit almost directly over the right rear axle, but we have a tag axle. So, we have no problem with weight. The only bedroom slide is on the opposite side. I already checked out how much a trick-l charger would cost....that or solar panels are the solution. As to heat, the propane furnace blows into the water compartment, which is in front of the rear duals, and you access it from the rear bay. There is an electrical plug in that bay. What I usually do, when home and it's cold weather, is burn a small pelonis heater in that bay, with the water compartment doors open...It can be in the high teens or mid 20's at night in the winter, and because we use it all winter and are in and out, we don't winterize it. The heat rises from that compartment into the coach and, so far have not had a problem. I usually open my low level drain if we are heading home in the winder, and if it's going to be really cold, I pour antifreeze into the drains to help ensure we don't have a problem...so far, so good.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:49 AM   #4

Just got a 2009 Phaeton last May.....they've been replacing the windows everytime I go back to Red Bay. Now another one is getting moisture between the panes......
keoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sure glad they have that problem solved I had seven replaced under warranty at the dealers last May. Knock on wood, no problems since then.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hey guys....how about steering...I noticed that some have listed steering stabilizers, and on another forum, a fellow who had one said it ended up being more of a tire/wheel and weight issue...
any issue wiht a 40' without the tag tracking true???
Old 02-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by teofff:
Hey guys....how about steering...I noticed that some have listed steering stabilizers, and on another forum, a fellow who had one said it ended up being more of a tire/wheel and weight issue...
any issue wiht a 40' without the tag tracking true???
Any vehicle 40 feet in length or greater when traveling on a highway with a center crown or side slope can appear to be out-of-track, the rear of the vehicle is constantly climbing up the slope to stay with the front. If you swap sides of the road the out-or-track appearance will reverse.

However if you think yours is untrue the best way to be certain is to have the frame manufacturer or its service facility put their laser lights on it, most will charge a couple of hundred bucks but peace of mind is worth it.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We decided not to buy the Phaeton we were looking at...several issues...it was filthy...I never can undersand how someone can pay alot of money for something, and then not take care of it...it had oak cabinets, which my wife hates oak, and had a very flimzy shower door set up.
We will keep looking...I am sure not all Phaeton's have oak cabinetry...
Old 02-26-2009, 11:15 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Nope, I think Tiffin stepped away from oak for '07 and newer. Something a bout more consistant grains. If you look at Tiffin's website, I think you can see older model brochures. I'm pretty sure my buddy's Phaeton is an '07 & it has medium Alderwoon cabinents that look similar to my '08 'Bay.

Good luck in your search. I'm sure alot of people will agree that I hope you continue to keep a Tiffin product at the top of your list!

Keep us posted!
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
We decided not to buy the Phaeton we were looking at...several issues...it was filthy......
That would be enough right there for me to reject it.

Have you looked at the classifieds here or at TRVN Classifieds?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I have a trade, and the guy who owned the Phaeton wanted to trade....that also was strange....but he claimed he still wanted a motorhome, but had too much money tied up in the Phaeton, so wanted to trade for mine and cash, but as I mentioned...it was filthy...and the oak was a deal breaker. I now understand 2007 and up Tiffen did not use oak...so will look at those. I also looked at an 08 Damon...really liked one of their floorplans. Need to do some research on that product.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
We decided not to buy the Phaeton we were looking at...several issues...it was filthy...I never can undersand how someone can pay alot of money for something, and then not take care of it...it had oak cabinets, which my wife hates oak, and had a very flimzy shower door set up.
We will keep looking...I am sure not all Phaeton's have oak cabinetry...
I agree with you about personal RV hygine and basic cleanliness. We would not even look at used coaches until we spotted this one. We have sensitive noses and quite honestly stayed away from anything used. When we stepped inside this '06, 40QSH Phaeton, with Cherry Bark Cabinetry it was totally different. We immediately bought it and have been extremely satisfied with the coach and it's cleanliness. Of course it takes a little personal pride to keep any coach that way and to be proud to invite others in without fear of embarrassement. It's kind of like "The Dutch Cleanser Lives Here" . And that is just the interior, imagine our surprise when the exterior was equally well maintained. We have keep it that way by having the exterior professionally washed and waxed on a regular basis. We did do some interior improvements like take out the analog TV's and replace them with HDTV LCD units, installed a Winegard Traveler HD Slimeline Automatic Sat Dish (yes ... removed the Kingdome) and DirecTV HDTV receivers. WoW! What an improvement! All the work was professionally done as I am not a rocket scientist on these things.

We have been looking for and are almost ready to upgrade to a 2008 or 2009, 42QRH. Honestly we are looking for a resale coach rather than take a $100k beating by driving a new one out of the dealers parking lot. Two years ago, we would never had looked at a used coach because of how people failed to maintain them to our standards (or yours). We don't have the luxury of throwing away $$$ on a whim for a new unit.

There really are quality values out there, but you have to be in the right place at the right time to find them. Granted, they may be few and far between but well worth the time to seek them out. Most times they are available from private sellers who have cared for, maintained and pampered their coaches for a few years. There may not be many of us left, but we are out there A dealer always loves to take a trade like ours for a new coach only to make a killing on our resale.

Yes, our coach is for sale as is our deeded rv lot in a gated community in Apopka, FL 32703. The Condo Assoc has a 40' length limit and since we are smittin with this lifestyle we want a 42' QRH that will not meet the community requirements

Property pictures viewable at http://www.tilesupplyinc.com/ron/lot which also shows the RV on site.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hey RonL we just picked up a left over 08 Phaeton 42' QRH from our local dealer and love it. We looked at a few used units and I agree with you on how can some people spend that much $$$ and not take care of it. The dealer really wanted to make a deal on the MH and also we traded in our 04 5th wheel and our 05 Enduro MH for it. We are really happy with it and everyone that has come in it can't believe how nice it is. Take care and good luck in your pursuit of a Phaeton.