Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2014, 08:07 AM   #1

120 volt problem

We are on the road, have found that we don't have 120 volt power. In a 2009 Phaeton. The inverter shows no light in the top ..on/off light, then it shows charging and batt full. It seems to be non responsive to turn it off or on to reset or reboot it. HELP!!
jcroadies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2014, 08:19 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have Xantrex inverter....I dimly recall there is a soft, circular button in the front (or back) that might be a reset. Button is hard to see.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #3

Are you running the Generator or the inverter?
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #4

Thanks for your quick responses! Is the soft reset on the remote or the main inverter?

We are on the road. .and the gen is off. Panel says batteries are full.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:10 AM   #5

Running the inverter.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:24 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
While you are driving, the engine alternator should be charging the batteries. If no 120VAC then may need to reset breaker on the Inverter itself.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:28 AM   #7

Where would that be located?
Old 12-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
I suggest you check the owner's manual for your inverter. If you don't have a paper copy, Google the brand and model and the word 'manual.' I know reading directions isn't manly, but sometimes it pays to break down and see what it says.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:47 PM   #9

Wink

Thanks again to everyone who contributed answers to help us out! I realize that I had referred to 120 power...should have said 110!!
What we have learned on this particular 09 Phaeton is that disconnecting the power to inverter by flipping the breakers did nothing. Our inverter remote was unresponsive (froze up - and not from being in Alberta!). I couldn't figure out how to reboot it, but a nice guy showed me that by unplugging a telephone line looking cord which plugs into the inverter and connects to the remote....I could reboot. Up and running again!!
Old 01-05-2015, 03:29 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcroadies View Post
Thanks again to everyone who contributed answers to help us out! I realize that I had referred to 120 power...should have said 110!!
The standard single phase voltage in the U.S. is 120 v and 240 v. It can vary due to demand and distance from the transformer, but it should be around 120 v.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
INverters have two reset procedures depending on the inverter

For the first: Inverters come in two types, On my Prosine there is a 2nd breaker box somewhere in the motor home (yes, I know where) with circuit breakers in it,,It may be a section of your primary breaker box if the inverter is a factory install, or a independent "Sub Panel" in my case in another location. These are standard Square D type breakers in my case (like the breakers in the main box)

On other inverters there is one or more breakers on the inverter itself,
These are generally POST type (PUSH IN TO RESET)

You have one or the other.

If the inverter's internal computer gets "Confused" it may need a master reboot.

Reemove 120 volt power (unplug, kill generator)

Remove 12 volt power (Lift negative wire off batteries)

Have a cup of coffee, tea, cold one, whatever you like (Wait 5 minutes)

Restore 12 volt
Optional restore 120 volt.

Finally (this is NOT your problem) On some inverters (My Prosine) there is a switch on the inverter itself, When it is OFF, it is OFF!!! even pass through does not work

How do I know it is not your problem.. Charger works on yours so that switch has to be on.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:12 PM   #12

To the OP - glad you found the problem, but your assumption about 120Vac being incorrect was addrssed by BFlinn181, and the same applies to Canada, 110vac has not been the standard default voltage for many years. People who refer to 110v are simply out touch with current systems or it is just a habit of doing so. One may measure 110vac at the end of a very long line, or at some campground outlets because of inadequate wiring for the load but 110v will not likely be the source voltage.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote