Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2014, 04:45 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
12v Light Switch

I just returned home in Virginia from buying a 2005 Phaeton 40 QDH in Tampa. this is our first motor home, having moved up from a travel trailer. Although I have a lot of questions, the first concerns the brown rocker-type light switches. The first time I tried to turn on the lights in the bathroom the rocker seemed to be reluctant to go to the "on" position. Finessing it didn't work, so I used enough force to break it internally.

Five questions: 1) Are these switches Tiffin-specific? 2) Are they frequent repair items? 3) Do I have to replace the whole assembly (light switch, water pump switch, water pump "on" lamp), or can I just replace the individual switch? 4) How do I remove the cover and/or assembly from the mounting surface? 5) Where do I go for replacement parts?

Thanks to the group for all the information I've gotten just by reading previous posts. I'm confident that your collective hand-holding will help us get up to speed on our "new" coach quickly.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2014, 05:44 PM   #2

If it's the big, rounded switches, you just pop off the cover and replace just the switch. Many RV parts are not "manufacturer" specific. Just have to find out what company they used. Got a picture?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
dms

Link to Tiffin switches

Some Tiffins used switches from American Technology. Here's the link to their "Home Series" brown switches which come in all configurations. Call them up and order what you need.

Electronics, lighting and mold convenience items from American Technology Components
Old 03-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks

Thanks, DMS. Looks like the first picture on their Web site. I'll see if I can get what I need from them. I can't figure out how to include a picture, but I'll bone up on that when I have more time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phaeton Light Switch.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	59063  
Old 03-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I did figure it out

I guess did figure out how to upload a pic after all!
Old 03-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
dms

Switch

Tiffin still uses this same Light/Pump/Pilot light configuration in the Phaeton. Our 2014 40 QBH has the identical switch array. The switch just pops out. Pop off the cover, remove the screws that hold in the switch plate, and pop out the switch.

You can call Tiffin or American Technology and order the brown "Home series" switch only....about $4 + shipping. No need to order the whole Light/Pump/pilot array. The light switch is a SPST on/off. Pump is SPST momentary on/off. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: We have a 2006 Phaeton 40QDH, so maybe the same bathroom lights (or maybe not). Anyway, don't underestimate the switch requirement just because they are 12 volt. Switches are rated by current, not voltage. Our bath has 8 lights that have 912 wedge bulbs at 1 amp each, so the total current is 8 amps. I don't know what the switch rating is, but the switch and wires (that are too small for 8 amps) get very warm in our coach.

The best solution I have found is to replace the light bulbs with LED lights having 13 LEDs each. They are almost as bright as the original lights, but consume only 0.15 amps each for a total of 1.2 amps. We like the warm white. Now the switch, the wires and the bulbs themselves stay cold to the touch. While I was at it I replaced all the other 912 type bulbs in the coach. They also don't break or burn out (at least in my lifetime) and cost about $39 for 20 at dhgate.com.

By the way, Tiffin is pretty good about having miscellaneous replacement parts, or if they don't can usually tell you where to get them.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
dms

Very true, and a good idea to change out your lights to LED's.....brighter, better light and last longer.

As I said above, Projectpro's switch is an American Technology "Home Series" switch which is rated at 16a @ 12vdc. With 12 gauge wire, no problem up to 20a @12 vdc. I'm sure his light circuit is 12 gauge. Mine is and I have LED's from Tiffin. The average LED draws only 200ma.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:53 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Switch has been replaced

I replaced the switch successfully, but haven't tested it yet due to dead house & chassis batteries. (I'm working through that challenge on another thread.) It was an easy fix and I'm sure it will work fine when I have power.

I do have 20 921-type LEDs that I removed from our travel trailer before we traded it in, so I plan on replacing all the wedge-type bulbs when I get around to it. I like them for the reduced heat as well as their very long life, and the color and brightness are almost the same as the bulbs they replace.