Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
1989 Allegro

wow, i have only seen a few older tiffin's on here. anyway's i am looking at a 1989 allegro and i can not find anthing on them. the only thing i am concerned about is the 16 in. wheels. is this rig not that heavy or what.sure would be cheeper to buy new tires for it.lol. so any thoughts about this one. it has a 454 chev and 400 auto in it. not worried about that part as i know these motors too well. this rig is one of the cleanest that i have seen yet and i have looked at alot of em. i like the older coaches so that is what i am going after. thanks for any input you all can give me.

Outlaw
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #2

Sounds to me that you like what you have found. Although not familiar with with older rigs I do see them on the road. Talked to a couple who have traveled across the country many times in their 86 Allegro and they love it.
Theirs to has 16" tires on it.
wagon217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
I had an 86 28 ft Allegro and I now have a 1990 front engine Diesel Allegro on a freightliner chassis.

My 86 had 16" tires, no problem and relativly less expensive. Check the weight plate in the MH. As long as the tires are rated for the weight, no problem. You can take it to a commercial scale and get it weighed. Check the date codes on the tires they may be old.

Check the front air bags in the coil springs for pressure.They are fairly easy to install (you do not have to drop the lower A frame.

Check the vintage RV board on this site near the top. Many various brands were built on the "P" chassis, and lots of info there. Don't hesitate to call the Tiffin factory in Red Bay Alabama for info as well as parts. Great help there (you need an "older" person, last time I called, the young man on the phone explained that they never made a 1990 Allegro with a front diesel, he did locate someone who confirmed that they had).

Good Luck.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:36 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is this a Class C motorhome? I'm pretty certain the Chevy Class A chassis all had the 19.5" wheels on them. The Ford Class A chassis used the 16" wheels/tires up thru 1997.
The 16" tires are fine as long as they are the higher Load Range "E". If you have the full specifications for the chassis, I think you'll find that the limiting weight factor is the axle load ratings not the tires.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #5

I had an 1989 allegro with the 460 ford, it had the 19 inch wheels, only problem i had was vapor locking, installed a new hiflow/volume holly pump and never had another problem, only down fall with the 3 speed trans with no od. other then that was a nice mh. I still see it around
bad1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #6

I know you like the vintage look but what about looking for about a '93 Allegro? Built on the P Chev chassis. That way you would more likely get the throttle body fuel injection instead of a carburator like the '89 would have. You also get the 4L80E overdrive trans. Those are a couple of big advantages to coming forward a few years. I had a '93 Allegro with such a setup and it worked great for 5 years. I can't remember what size wheels it had tho, sorry.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #7

I've got myself an 89 chev 1-ton chassis Allegro Class A. Its running 19.5's with 240R75's on em. Just singles in the back are a bit over-weighed so Im going to pickup the other tires and put em back on. The sticker weight says 5k on front tires and 12k on the rears so i wouldn't go smaller personally.

Guess it all lies in the class and weight.
DevonJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #8

We are new here on this site and I was just reading some things about the quality of some of the older rigs as compared to the newer ones. We have an 36', 89 Allegro class A, not sure of the tire size but I'm sure they are 19"s. We have owned it for about 5 years and not used it much, but are very happy with it's construction and features. We are about to renovate it because we feel that the quality is outstanding. Aside from the normal concerns of wiring, fuel and propane connections, is there anything I should be on the lookout for with common problems for these rigs?
Dan_Kathy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:15 AM   #9

honestly from what i've been picking away at, I haven't found much. Although I'd definitely check the plumbing, both freshwater and greywater running throughout the rig just in case. I just recently found a cracked corner under the bed for the greywater running from the sink to the tank.. but i guess it happens. Just makes for one GREAT BIG mess to clean up and then fix
DevonJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #10

Hi, I have a 32' 1989 allegro that needs a front decal, mine is missing and I found someone that can make me a new one if I can give him the sizes of the letters...any help out there? My wife and I use our Allegro at least 2 times a month and we love it.
texas-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas-Ed View Post
Hi, I have a 32' 1989 allegro that needs a front decal, mine is missing and I found someone that can make me a new one if I can give him the sizes of the letters...any help out there? My wife and I use our Allegro at least 2 times a month and we love it.
I got mine from Tiffin parts. solid white and not sure it was the same as original. You couls chat with them, they might give the size info. I can get the measurements later today. Mine is a 90. The factory decal is designed to fit the curve and slope.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #12

Well Outlaw I have an 87 Allegro 33' that we bought earlier this year. I would be concerned about the 16" tires. Mine has 19.5's and you need to look at the weight of your rig. Allegro built a great MH in those years. Mine, with the exception, of a few dings still looks great. The 454 is a horse, but you will have to make sure it is tuned up correctly, check the manifolds for leaks (issue with them), hoses and belts, and carborator. I will be having a rebuilt carb put on this year. The power is great but the mileage is terrible (5.5). The ride is exceptable and it drives well. We thought about selling and buying a newer rig this year, but decided that since we paid cash and don't want to spend a bunch we are keeping it for a couple of more years.

The devil you know is sometimes better then the devil you don't.

Good Luck and Enjoy
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
As info: The front decal on my 1990 is 34" by 51/2 high for the "A". Not much help, but if you had a picture of the proper decal you could scale it up.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillboy View Post
As info: The front decal on my 1990 is 34" by 51/2 high for the "A". Not much help, but if you had a picture of the proper decal you could scale it up.
Thanks Hillboy, I called Tiffin and they have the decals in stock. Thank you for your time and effort.
texas-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote