Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #1

1st MH will be a Tiffin, engine size question?

My wife and I are preparing for retirement this Feb. and have decided to buy our first motor-home. After a lot of online research, we think a used low mileage Tiffin will best suit our needs. We are looking at a 2000 Allegro Bus with a 275 HP Cummins and a 1999 Allegro Bus with a 300 HP Cummins. I have 2 friends who own MHs and both of them told me not to buy a unit with less than 300 HP and 330 to 350 would be better. My question is; will there be much difference towing a small toad between the 275 & 300 hp cummins?
GigaWatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Do you have the torque numbers? Torque is what get's a vehicle moving and horsepower is how fast that torque is applied.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #3

Engine....HP & Torque....are pretty much dependent on how much weight you are trying to push. So.....how much do these Allegro's weigh and how much does your toad weigh?

Good rule of thumb....divide the total weight by 100....this will give you a good starting point. If your total weight (including your toad) is 35,000lbs you will need at least 350hp.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:20 AM   #4

Where you drive, and how fast you want to get there will have an input also. If you are spending most of your time in the flat areas and do not plan on towing a toad less will function. If you will be towing and driving in the hills or more you will want more HP. If going 45 up a large incline is not for you or have a reason to running fully loaded you may also want more HP.
Just a guess a 75 HP difference you are probably looking at 225 ft/lbs of torque also. The two are an amount that will be noticeable, if driving the units up a hill is a possibility then tell the salesperson you would like to try and then remember you or your significant other may want to add a lot of weight so the responded will be reduced.
Cost may also be a factor. If you are looking at both remember as it has been mentioned else where, no one ever has said they wish they had less HP.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #5

We are now considering an 01 Zephyr with Cummins 450 ISM which has 1450 Ft Lbs at 1200 rpm. That should be more than adequate to pull any toad we select. My only problem is I afraid it will be sold before we are ready to buy which is 3 months away.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #6

GigaWatt, Ask the seller if he will take a down payment and give you "first right of refusal" you can agree on a price that he will accept and can only sell it for that price to someone else IF you cannot complete the sale in the same timeline from another buyer. If you can't then you look for another but in the meantime he has a guarenteed sale from you. 90 Days seems fair if thats your timeline.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #7

We have a 300 hp Cummins in an '03 Phaeton. It is economical on fuel - mostly 10 mpg along the east coast. VMSpc shows lifetime average in upper 9's. Even AFTER an 8000k mile trip back and forth across the western mountains for 5 months last spring/summer. Colorado was my largest climb and no issues other than going slow. Slow being my favorite speed to sight-see it was not a problem for this ol' lady.That said, I would not want less. Best wishes with which ever you choose.
wkdwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkdwitch View Post
We have a 300 hp Cummins in an '03 Phaeton. It is economical on fuel - mostly 10 mpg along the east coast. VMSpc shows lifetime average in upper 9's. Even AFTER an 8000k mile trip back and forth across the western mountains for 5 months last spring/summer. Colorado was my largest climb and no issues other than going slow. Slow being my favorite speed to sight-see it was not a problem for this ol' lady.That said, I would not want less. Best wishes with which ever you choose.
Were you towing a toad on that trip? One of my planned trips will be the the western mountains.

Tags
tiffin