RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2017, 05:36 AM   #1
owr

Tiffin Owners Club
2 front t.v.s how do you separate remotes ?

Hi fołks,

We picked up our new phaeton last week which has 2 front tv's and I wanted to ask if there is a way to separate the two t.v.'s so they both don't react to the same remote... it is very annoying lol

Thanks for your assistance !

owr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2017, 08:24 AM   #2

probably would take using separate dishes or sat receivers and not worth the expense. we just get up and get really close to the one we're adjusting. Dave

oh- ps this is under wifes control, not my area of expertise.

allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:24 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by owr View Post
Hi fołks,

We picked up our new phaeton last week which has 2 front tv's and I wanted to ask if there is a way to separate the two t.v.'s so they both don't react to the same remote... it is very annoying lol

The short answer is No. Enjoy your new rig and like the rest of us we have learned to deal with all the TVs responding to a remote.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:17 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know of no TV that employse a prefix code.. MY DVR's do but I know of no TV that does.

Only way I know to do that is to have TV's from Widly Different Makers. For example in my Bedroom I have a Sansui (Wal mart special) which uses the same codes for the most part as the DYNEX in my Main room.

And a Samsung whih ignores the Sansui codes 100% (As the Sansui does the Samsung codes)

With Panasonic They make different models all of which will ignore the above remotes but SOME are Panasonic 1 and Some panasonic2 so there you can use (have to use) different remotes.

Some companies have as many as 4 or 5 different remote code sets.

My phone operats most all of 'em.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by owr View Post
Hi fołks,
That is a common problem when there are two TVs of the same brand in view of each other. We had the same issue with our Allegro RED and now our Phaeton. I've learned to "shield" the remote with my hand or body when pointing it at one TV. Some have added black tape to the TV sensor to narrow its range of view, It's annoying, but short of changing out one of the TVs for a different brand there's no perfect solution.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I use DISH have a TV in the bedroom and one in the living area. The bedroom TV would change the channel on the front TV so that was a pain. I called DISH and they walked me through some steps to change the codes on the bedroom TV and bingo they are both specific remotes for each DISH receiver. Don't remember what exactly they had me change though. If you have DISH give them a call.
Golfer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:59 PM   #7

Narrowing the field of the IR, seems like a pretty good idea. Something as common as a peel and stick "foot corn" pad centered on the IR, should cut its range by 70%.

Also taping both sides of the remote's IR will narrow it's range. But not line of sight power, The sender & receiver.

Been there,PC 32 monitor & cable TV, it gets interesting when one is off and one is on to shut both down...Really.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:15 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We brought that up when we were in Red Bay with our Phaeton. The service tech just smiled and told me to put a piece of tape over the IR receiver of the TV you're not using. Common problem we all have.
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
With Radio Shack out of business it might be a little harder. The following item, changing one remote to RF, and isolating the resulting IR signal with the button transmitter to one TV should work. Hiding the receiver and pointing the small transmitter close up to the TV should work it without affecting the 2nd TV.
https://www.amazon.com/Next-Generati...BBW5M5GXRYBMDN
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:14 PM   #10

If the tvs are both lg, we have the same in our 2017 37pa red. We used very small piece of tape on each tv in living room to cover the infra-red eye. Trial and error begins with covering 1/3 of eye and enlarging up to about half of the eye on each tv until each works independently when remote is directed to the given tv. This was remedy from Red Bay tv tech.
garebare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #11

2 front t.v.s how do you separate remotes ?

I think we are driving to Red Bay in February to have the TV above the windshield removed. We want to replace it with matching cabinets.

It will eliminate the remote issue, give us a little more storage and hopefully give a slightly better view.
Chadrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:48 PM   #12

We very rarely use the front tv, so my work around was to just unplug the thing. If we can't watch the main tv, example can't put slides out, I plug the front one back in. Easier than getting up every time I wanted to change the channel. Think that's why they invented "remote controls" in the first place. The plug in our new Phaeton was in the cabinet right next to the tv. Maybe some are not as accessible.

labcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote