RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2015, 08:56 PM   #1

2000 Bus Maiden Voyage Electrical Issues

Just bought a 2000 Allegro Bus 39m with 350hp Cummins in Panama City Florida and am heading back to the Seattle area but have had a number of electrical issues. The coach sat for about 4 years prior to me driving it away from a nice couple's barn. Here are the issues:

Norcold Fridge reads "do lo" and red led at outside access is lit (this did have the recall work competed in 2011). Precious owner said they hadn't really used it since this was fixed.

Instrument cluster: rpm gauge floats all over from 5 to hanging at the 6 o'clock position. Oil temp is stationary at 3 o'clock. Oil pressure floats around between 10 and 3 o'clock and doesn't feel like it is accurately reading pressure????

Drivers door window inconsistently raises and lowers. I have had it stuck open about 3/4 of the way up. Took off panel, motor engages for a click then window does not move.

AC fan operates on low settings not blowing super cold. Added 134a, replaced fuse. High speed fan worked for 24 hours, then stopped over night. Blown fuse. Replaced again today, fan works on high air still not very cold.

Several lights on driver side not functioning. Replaced bulbs in outside circular light, no illumination. Vanity lights do not come on.

This may be another topic but hydraulic jack on back passenger side will not deploy and passenger side front did not retract without help from jack pads and dumping air/starting system repeatedly.

Stopped at a diesel shop just before closing, they didn't come in the coach but asked if a battery had been replaced recently. Owner did share he did replace batteries prior to selling.

Any ideas would be very helpful.

Mike 2000 Allegro Bus
39M
350 Cummins

mikemac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 09:34 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Dig out the multi-meter , sounds like you've got some testing to do.

First would be to check the batteries for all connections being clean and tight; look around for any wires that may have been left off.
Check for proper battery voltage, 12.4 and above with the coach off and disconnected from shore power, and 13.2 > 14v on shore power and 13.7>14.2 with the engine running.
Power window problem , lights not operating and instruments , could be a wiring system ground in that area, or like my power window , binding in the power mechanism , that was cured by a complete lube of the drive system.
Some where in the forums there is info , on re-setting the Norcold recall box with a magnet, I'll see if I can find the info and link you to it.

Could you find out the brand name of your leveling system and post it , HWH ? Power Gear?, along with the coaches chassis brand , ( Freightliner ? Spartan ?) Gauge problems could be due to issues with the chassis manufactures wiring and computer controls.

EDIT: Found a link to a site for some info on your Norcold.

Norcold Problem

The link is in post #5 blue print says " this site "

Old 07-24-2015, 10:52 PM   #3

Thanks Skip! I'll get to work. I realize I bought an older coach that had been sitting knowing there would be work to do. We've made it to New Mexico, so we're in good shape.

To answer your questions, I have a freightliner chassis and the leveling system is HWH. I tried leveling again today and got 3 jacks down then the excessive slope light came on. This lad is as flat as I have ever been on.

Thanks again for the help!

Mike
Old 07-25-2015, 08:58 AM   #4

Mike , here's some info on Freightliner gauge testing, and the HWH web site , where you can download a users manual for your levelers , if you don't have one .

Welcome to HWH Corporation

Sounds like your levelers are a different model than mine, I don't have an excessive slope light.

Mike; if you would take a moment , and set up a " signature line " by clicking " Quick Links" below your welcome message, then " Edit Signature" type in your coach info, the click save at the bottom of the page. Your coach info will automatically appear, below your posts, as mine does below this one.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH jack & spring info.pdf (8.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: pdf Freightliner gauges operation , testing.pdf (127.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf HWH jack maintenance.pdf (16.1 KB, 44 views)
Old 07-25-2015, 11:09 PM   #5

Thanks again Skip, this has been very helpful! About the signature line, I am using a 3rd party app called "Tapatalk" yo post and review multiple forums and the settings say that the forum administrator has disabled signature lines. :(

Mike
2000 Allegro Bus 39m
350 Cummins
Freightliner
Old 07-28-2015, 11:54 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2005 bus with the HWH jack system and i have an extended slope limit light. I am going to be doing some guessing but here goes. If some of the jacks are deploying your pump is working and you have pressure. The ones that are not deploying either have a blown fuse for the solenoid on that valve or a bad solenoid. Basically the solenoid opens the valve that allows pressure to the jack. Check the fuses first. I believe each solenoid has its own fuse.

The jack that will not retract is probably a bad jack. I have had to have two of them replaced on my 2005. They are not bent and I can spray them down with silicon lube and they will work for a while but will be very slow. I had new ones put on and they work a lot faster. I think something in the seal possibly getting hard and not allowing them to go up as fast maybe.

The excessive slope light comes on when you have the jacks at maximum extension and you are still not level. part of that maybe due to one jack not coming down. I would get all jacks working first then see if you still get an excessive slope indication.

Owner said he replaced batteries. do you have groups of 6 volt batteries for coach. If so make sure they are wired correctly if not you will get 6 volts only. The guages will be off of chassis batteries make sure they are wired correctly and one of them is not bad. Also check overall coach for good grounds. A bad ground will make things work very strange and sitting for years in a barn will not help ground connections.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I have a 2005 bus with the HWH jack system and i have an extended slope limit light. I am going to be doing some guessing but here goes. If some of the jacks are deploying your pump is working and you have pressure. The ones that are not deploying either have a blown fuse for the solenoid on that valve or a bad solenoid. Basically the solenoid opens the valve that allows pressure to the jack. Check the fuses first. I believe each solenoid has its own fuse.

The jack that will not retract is probably a bad jack. I have had to have two of them replaced on my 2005. They are not bent and I can spray them down with silicon lube and they will work for a while but will be very slow. I had new ones put on and they work a lot faster. I think something in the seal possibly getting hard and not allowing them to go up as fast maybe.

The excessive slope light comes on when you have the jacks at maximum extension and you are still not level. part of that maybe due to one jack not coming down. I would get all jacks working first then see if you still get an excessive slope indication.

Owner said he replaced batteries. do you have groups of 6 volt batteries for coach. If so make sure they are wired correctly if not you will get 6 volts only. The guages will be off of chassis batteries make sure they are wired correctly and one of them is not bad. Also check overall coach for good grounds. A bad ground will make things work very strange and sitting for years in a barn will not help ground connections.

Thanks for the help! Can you clarify what you mean by groups of 6 volt batteries? Also, where can I find a diagram of my batteries wired correctly?

I did find this wire hanging beside my transmission. No cap on it...not sure if this is supposed to be capped or connected to something.

Mike
2000 Allegro Bus
39m
35 Cummins
Frieghtliner
Old 07-29-2015, 08:58 PM   #8

Sorry, this wire...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438225045.258727.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	101552Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438225070.676857.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	101553
Old 07-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #9

The early Allison transmissions used to come with, a third sensor on the side , and that connector would have been for that sensor, I'm sure mine is capped but I'll have a look, tomorrow . You should make sure it's clean and cover it.
Here's a picture of a diagram for the batteries from my coach.
If that's not what you need I can post a picture of my battery tray later tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0234 (640x360).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	101555  
Old 07-29-2015, 09:52 PM   #10

Her's what I have going on. More investigating to do in daylight tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438228286.017639.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	101560
Old 07-29-2015, 11:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemac3 View Post
Her's what I have going on. More investigating to do in daylight tomorrow.

Attachment 101560
OK, your trying to clean up someone's mess. Your coach would have left the factory with 4 , 6 volt batteries , someone has gone in and installed 4, 12v of various sizes by the look of things.

Two in the right rear corner, appear to be your chassis , ( engine start ), the other 4 are for the coach ( house) , I did automotive electrical for 34 years , and let me tell you , that is a big ........mess.

For more info , and diagrams visit this site.

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

Tags
electrical, voyage