RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #1

2001 Allegro Bus-Batteries not charging?

Freightliner Service told me that the alternator is putting out 14V and just keep on driving. But the batteries loose voltage after I disconnect the 25amp battery charger powered by shore power.
When disconnected from shore power and the engine is running the 14V of the alternator never reach the battery.
The red battery light on the dashboard goes out after a few seconds after the engine starts running.
The voltmeter on the dashboard slowly (over a period of 30 seconds) after the engine starts running cribs up to maybe 10 V.
Question: Where do I start looking for the disconnect? Is there a diagram available someplace (Cummings Eng).
Thanks for any input

ciniforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #2

There are multiple connections to be checked, including the battery cables themselves, there is on my chassis (99) a 135 amp fuse on the frame behind the battery slide , I would suspect a bad connection there, could give you this issue , because it protects the power cable between the batteries and the dash.
A call to Freightliners free help line , have your serial number handy.
1-800-385-4357, will get you more answers , even if it's only the address of a better dealer; they never should have let you go with out the charging system working.
If for any reason you can't get a hold of Freightliner ( weekend ) I can send you wiring schematics that I have for my chassis, I'd post them here but the file is too big . Send me a private message with an e mail address.
To send a private message, click my name at the top left of this post.
EDIT. just back from looking over the wiring diagrams I have , the main cable from the alternator connects to the battery cables at the starter, so the next place to check for 14 volts , with the engine running would be at the starter, if you have 14v at the back of the alt and not at the starter then , I think, that cable is in trouble.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #3

Also, look on the bottom of your steering column underneath for a 5/16" stud with lots of white (ground) wires bolted to it. Make sure the nut isn't loose.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging