Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2003 Phaeton GH Question

Hi all,

Looking to finalize a purchase on a 2003 40' Phaeton DP. But we're a little confused.

I looked at the brochures on another thread and the floorplans don't seem to match.

The one we are looking at has 2 slides, sofa and dinette are on drivers side, kitchen is on curb side.

The Tiffin brochures don't seem to offer this as an option. I've checked the VIN and it surely is a Tiffin Phaeton 40' built in 2003.

Any insight?

We're a little nervous (our first RV purchase) but very excited at the same time. Having trouble finding a quality inspector. Took the rig out and it drives nice, started right up. Has new tires all around and new coach batteries as well.
exploring is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #2

Not sure that your question is clear. If you go to the Tiffin web site you can look at the brochure archives. They only go back to 2005 but there is listed a 38 GH but not a 40 GH. Floor plans do change every 4-5 years. Take a look there. Model Archive | Tiffin Motorhomes
roger8070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger8070 View Post
Not sure that your question is clear. If you go to the Tiffin web site you can look at the brochure archives. They only go back to 2005 but there is listed a 38 GH but not a 40 GH. Floor plans do change every 4-5 years. Take a look there. Model Archive | Tiffin Motorhomes
Thank you Roger. Well this is where we are confused. In 2003 if I'm reading this brochure correctly, in the 40' range Phaeton there was a TGH and a GH.

Here is the link that I found: http://www.dreamfindersrv.com/Litera...H_Brochure.pdf

However, the unit we are looking at has the floorplan of the 40GH but with the dinette next to the couch on the drivers side and the kitchen on the curbside. Kind of like the TGH in the brochure, but with only 2 slides.

Does that make sense?
Old 12-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, I can see how you are confused based on the brochure. The first thing I would ask is are you sure it is a 2003 and not a 2004? A lot of confusion on year comes from the title: seems a lot of States title the motorhome based on the year of mfr of the chassis and not the build date of the motorhome. For example, a friend of ours took his paperwork in to get the tag/title registered. They insisted that it be titled as a 2005 (chassis mfr date) rather than a 2006 which was the date Tiffin built the coach on that chassis. All his purchase paperwork showed 2006 Phaeton but his Title shows 2005. A real issue when you sell it I bet. Check that out. I don't have access to a 2004 brochure and it isn't on the Tiffin Motorhome website either. This is just a suggestion for the confusion.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
As it looks like you figured out from you signature, your floorplan is a 40RH. It's not listed in the 2003 brochure (only shows up as of 2004) but it's quite common as a 2003 (we have the same).

It does happen that chassis / models are different years but it's also very common that the brochures are not up to date or changed during the production year (around that time, they also change the rear closet to include drawers and moved the rear slide window to 1 window on each side of the slide. Options also changed).

If you want to know for sure, check the information page in the rear closet or contact Tiffin with your VIN. Ours states 2003 40RH from 02/14/2003.

One issue to check with those models is the 'wet bay' problem. Unfortunately ours does have it and so far Tiffin will not help with the repair costs (They will fix 2004 and newer at no cost but said it doesn't affect 2003s and is not covered).

If you want to see the 2004 brochure, it's available at Tiffin RV Network
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wet Bay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
One issue to check with those models is the 'wet bay' problem. Unfortunately ours does have it and so far Tiffin will not help with the repair costs (They will fix 2004 and newer at no cost but said it doesn't affect 2003s and is not covered).
Thank you Michelle for the response! Not aware of the 'wet bay' problem. I'll do some research online, but any additional insight you might have is appreciated!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #7

http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/tiffins...onBrochure.pdf I see a 40GH 2 slides drivers side but as you said, kitchen in wrong place. Could it be a late 2002 or an early 2003 built before the brochure was changed? Anyway, call tiffin with the vin and they will tell you everything you need.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote