RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2019, 05:44 AM   #1

2003 Phaeton Rear Eng. Door Struts

i have a 2003 Phaeton 39Gh what im looking for is the length or part number of the gas struts that hold the engine excess door open (outside)
these were missing when i purchased last fall.been getting by with a purpose built stick but its a PITA.

thanks in advance

Hotrod

Hotrod2526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2019, 05:54 AM   #2

just measure the distance from where struts hook up when you have cover open and go to a auto parts store and they can probably match up something. your probably out of luck getting anything out of tiffin. if all else fails take mh to local garage and they can probably replace them. dave

allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:43 AM   #3

ok, just to clarify , there isnt any there right now, sure measuring the distance is easy between the 2 points but i have No idea how high the door cover opens which will reflex the length of the strut. just saying
Old 04-19-2019, 08:17 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod2526 View Post
ok, just to clarify , there isnt any there right now, sure measuring the distance is easy between the 2 points but i have No idea how high the door cover opens which will reflex the length of the strut. just saying
I will be getting my 03 bus today, I will check back and if you haven't gotten a answer to your post I will measure mine and post the results. I would think that the measurements would be very close.

Jim
Old 04-19-2019, 12:20 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Struts are sold by there closed length and the weight they will hold up. For example a 10" strut rated for 150 lbs will open approximately 20" and hold up a 150 pound door. Exp: Your bed probably has two struts rated at 150 lbs. Look at the part number of a strut and it will reflect the weight rating and the length. Just change the length and weight rating in the part number to find the strut you need.
To determine the length of the strut needed you must measure the distance between the strut mounting points with the door closed. The strut will then open about twice the distance of the closed measurement. I suppose you could measure the distance between mount points with the door open then buy a strut a little less then half that measurement. Amazon probably has the best prices. Auto parts stores are expensive.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:53 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caninecop View Post
I will be getting my 03 bus today, I will check back and if you haven't gotten a answer to your post I will measure mine and post the results. I would think that the measurements would be very close.

Jim
Mikes post about the length of the strut is what I came up with. I am not sure it will help but the body (arms not extended) of the strut was around 11" inches.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #7

Quote:

Jim
Hi Jim,

when u get a chance can u measure yours and give me the number that way i know the poundage

Thanks
Old 04-23-2019, 07:42 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod2526 View Post
Hi Jim,

when u get a chance can u measure yours and give me the number that way i know the poundage

Thanks
See Mikes post # 5 above for the measurement, I will look to see if I can find a product number that I have on mine, if I find any info I will post if for you.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:17 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
See Mikes post # 5 above for the measurement, I will look to see if I can find a product number that I have on mine, if I find any info I will post if for you.
This should help you get the struts that you need. The company is SIGNATURE SERIES GAS SPRING the part number is SX200P-60 Lot number 301116. Go to the web site for more information. Give them a call I am sure they can fix you up with what you need.

Tags
door, phaeton