RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
2005-2008 Allegro Bus questions

We are thinking about upgrading a little bit and I think my first choice would be an Allegro Bus in the 2005 to 2008 range. I know absolutely nothing about Tiffen products, just know they look good! I don't want to go more than 40 feet (don't want the tag axle).

1. Were there any known problems during those years that I should watch out for?

2. Did they use air bag suspension and leveling instead of hydraulic jacks?

3. Did all of them have side radiators AND exhaust?

4. I like the looks of the large tile floors in the 2008. Were they all ceramic and if so have there been any problems with it cracking?

5. What about the ride? Any big differences between those year models?

6. What kind of fuel mileage can I expect to get on a 40' coach?

Those are the questions I have right now. Anything else you care to mention will be appreciated!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
there is an issue with some of the 2005 allegro buses overheating. If you took your bus in when it was under warranty and complained they switched the hydraulic fluid for the fan to a motor oil. The idea was the hydraulic fluid thinned out too much when hot and did not drive the fan properly. The motor oil increased pressure to the point where it ruptured something in the hydraulics I believe it was a cooler. This unit had to be replaced with one that could take heavier pressure. Since this was not a recall but only a fix it is hard to tell if a prospective coach had this fix performed. This problem was not on 2006 and newer.

Some of the 2005 models with the ISL engine had wrist pin failures.

I have a 2005 coach and I like it but I had some warmer engine temps on a trip and that is how I found out about the overheating problem

gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We are thinking about upgrading a little bit and I think my first choice would be an Allegro Bus in the 2005 to 2008 range. I know absolutely nothing about Tiffen products, just know they look good! I don't want to go more than 40 feet (don't want the tag axle).

1. Were there any known problems during those years that I should watch out for?

2. Did they use air bag suspension and leveling instead of hydraulic jacks?

3. Did all of them have side radiators AND exhaust?

4. I like the looks of the large tile floors in the 2008. Were they all ceramic and if soia have there been any problems with it cracking?

5. What about the ride? Any big differences between those year models?

6. What kind of fuel mileage can I expect to get on a 40' coach?

Those are the questions I have right now. Anything else you care to mention will be appreciated!
One thing you should know is on the 2005 the basement doors swing up. 2006 and newer swing to the side. All newer Allegro Bus have side radiators.
Shadow0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys! I'm really looking more at the 2008.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
As much as iRV2 is a great site, we used this site, A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Index page
when we were considering a Tiffin Bus.
Good Luck.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #6

Joe, hop over to the tiffinrvnetwork.com for all things Tiffin. They will remind you of what to look for in those years where they did have a number of problems that Tiffin did take care of.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Do I have to go through all the registration process just to see the forum? I can't figure out that site!

Old 11-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Do I have to go through all the registration process just to see the forum? I can't figure out that site!
I thought the site was pretty easy to register for. Unless something has changed. I wasn't an owner and had no issues to register.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I thought the site was pretty easy to register for. Unless something has changed. I wasn't an owner and had no issues to register.

Most sites, like IRV2, let you view the forums as a guest without doing anything, but require you to register if you want to post.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #10

Joe...It would be well worth your time to join. If you are looking at Tiffin coach's this is where you will get all the info you need to help you make any decisions on all things Tiffin.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
OK, I just jumped through their hoops and registered. I posted the same questions over there so we'll see what happens. Thanks guys!

Old 11-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #12

We have a 2007 Bus 42QRP and we have used it quite a bit and have had a great experience with it we have had minor issues that tiffin was happy to fix for us.
cdolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #13

I would go with the 2008 or 09 model verses older models.Roof rails will be most likely be cracked.The 08 has the whole MH factory wired for HD tv and all HD tv installed
also uses the clean burn 425ISL which is nice especially when towing,get the sparton IFS chassis which is really nice.I have the aquahot in mine but that is not or should not be a deal breaker in my opinion.mine uses the ag hydraulic oil in the fan cooling system and runs between 170 and 190ish all the time and I have pulled some steep hills
u will average around 7.75-8 ish depending on where your located
the tiles can and will crack in some use situations but just fine line cracks.I have 3 that have done this.I also found that in 2008 they did not build the kitchen slide floor strong enough nor use a proper amount of rollers so the floor sagged.They have shims and floor plates available for this fix.The 2009 came with better floor and 5 rollers verses 3.Entrance steps are school bus rubber and look very tackey.I installed marble tile and now looks like a 250K unit verses a 50K job.lot of pros and lots of cons I have found.Tiffin support is pretty good and the parts prices are reasonable
McRvnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
OK, I just jumped through their hoops and registered. I posted the same questions over there so we'll see what happens. Thanks guys!
Taking nothing away from this valuable resource, (IRV2) you would be best served by spending most of your time with shopping questions on the Tiffin Network. Understand, on that site there is NO advertising being used as sponsors so it is run by and for the members and open for donations if you see fit do to so.

Also if you are anywhere near Red Bay Alabama you may want to ride over to the factory. Tours take place almost daily and you are more than welcome to stop and ask any of the workers whatever question you have. As many people will be very quick to add, Bob Tiffin's office is just inside the gate and he is always welcoming of new (and present) owners. The service area is a short drive on the other side of town. You will not have free run of the joint but drive up and down the camping area, (an old airport runway) stop and talk to owners of anything you see. I'm sure some will be more than happy to talk nuts and bolts with you.

Also in late March 2014 there will be a Southeast Area rally in Tennesee. Last years rally saw about 85 Tiffin owners sharing goodwill, knowledge and laughter about their life with a Tiffin product. Usually a technical session or two will also be provided. Last year Brannon showed up with his service crew for various repairs and or updates people wanted. If you go to the Tiffin wesite you will learn more about who he is.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM with any additional info required. Rather than answer your individual questions I will let others do that.

Best of luck with your shopping efforts,

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote