Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #1

2005 Allegro Bay 34XB Inverter Plugs

I'll be taking my first trip soon where I may be wallydocking a few nights. Started checking outlets for power while not on shore power. Only one I found was labeled "inverter" and is in the passenger seat footwell.

Does anyone know if there are any other "inverter" plugs in a 2005 Allegro Bay 34XB?

Rig is in storage at the moment and I can't get the bedroom slide out at the moment. I'm hoping maybe there is one at the bottom of the cabinets at the foot of the bed or there is one hidden somewhere. I use a cpap machine so I need power in the bedroom. I guess I could run an extension cord from the front if I have too (and it's safe to do?).
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2017, 09:53 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kxbronco View Post
I'll be taking my first trip soon where I may be wallydocking a few nights. Started checking outlets for power while not on shore power. Only one I found was labeled "inverter" and is in the passenger seat footwell.

Does anyone know if there are any other "inverter" plugs in a 2005 Allegro Bay 34XB?

Rig is in storage at the moment and I can't get the bedroom slide out at the moment. I'm hoping maybe there is one at the bottom of the cabinets at the foot of the bed or there is one hidden somewhere. I use a cpap machine so I need power in the bedroom. I guess I could run an extension cord from the front if I have too (and it's safe to do?).
I don't have the 34XB but the 2005 37DB and the outlet that the bedroom TV plugs into is on the inverter, also your front TV should be plugged into an inverter outlet.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:07 AM   #3

DW , uses a CPAP with humidifier , and there is a 12 volt adapter available,( check with your pump's manufacturer ) I found it much easier to get 12 volt power supply at the bed side than inverted power.
CPAP's 12 volt draw was less than 7.5 amps ( as per the fuse in the adapter ) and the bed side lights were on a 20 amp fuse, so installing a 12 volt cigarette lighter outlet was easy.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:02 PM   #4

Thanks CJ. Will check that out tomorrow when I get it out of storage.

Thanks Skip. I thought about that, but was to late to do anything about it at the moment. I will do some research on a 12v option for my cpap when I get back from my trip.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #5

Thanks again CJ7365. Checked out the bedroom tv outlet and it is labeled "inverter" and is hot when not on shore power. Now to see how long the cpap and humidifier will last on batteries.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:48 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I too have a 2005 34XB and as far as I can tell I have no inverter. I have bought a 800 watt inverter to use if I need to as the batteries are easy to get to in the step well. The 12 volt power socket sounds like the way to go.
riverat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:54 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My wife and I also use cpap machines. I am very interested in how long your batteries can last on "inverter" power when boondocking and using the cpap machines. Please provide us with a followup after your adventure.
Operating on 120v power will draw a heck of a lot less amps then 12v power would. I would also suggest you unplug all the TVs so they won't have the vampire power loss on the inverter circuit. Again please let us know how your trip goes.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithcoop View Post

Operating on 120v power will draw a heck of a lot less amps then 12v power would. .
Not if your using an inverter.

As an example, if your machine draws 2 amps at 120 volts, that's 240 Watts.

It will draw 20 amps at 12 volts, for 240 Watts, thru the inverter, plus about 10% inverter losses.

Watts are the constant . Amps X Volts = watts.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:02 PM   #9

Riverat, I have a Tripp-Lite 1000w PowerVerter inverter charger. Not 100% sure if it was factory installed, but I believe it was given how the 2 plugs labeled inverter were installed.

Flywithcoop, I will be wallydocking tomorrow (Thursday) night. I will let you know how it turns out sometime on Friday. FYI I have 2 Interstate batteries that are in pretty good shape. I use on old Sullivan V cpap and a separate Fisher-Paykel HC150 humidifier. It's an old setup that I use for travel. I have a Resmed S9 that might be more energy efficient, but it whistles so much I don't use it.

Twinboat, thanks for the power info.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:06 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Hmm, I would be cautious about using cpap machine, if your inverter is msw, versus psw.

My Cpap machine is a newer machine and has electronic controls. Electronic devices with delicate controls tend to get fried when run on modified sine wave inverters (eg, electric blankets, coffee makers, refrigs).

Given the cost of Cpap machines, I would check out what kind of inverter technology you have. Things with transformers (eg laptops) tend to run hot but don't necessarily fry.

My magnum ms2000 is pure sine wave, so it handles everything incl cpap with no problem.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:18 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Riverat, I have a Tripp-Lite 1000w PowerVerter inverter charger. Not 100% sure if it was factory installed, but I believe it was given how the 2 plugs labeled inverter were installed.

Flywithcoop, I will be wallydocking tomorrow (Thursday) night. I will let you know how it turns out sometime on Friday. FYI I have 2 Interstate batteries that are in pretty good shape. I use on old Sullivan V cpap and a separate Fisher-Paykel HC150 humidifier. It's an old setup that I use for travel. I have a Resmed S9 that might be more energy efficient, but it whistles so much I don't use it.

Twinboat, thanks for the power info.
I would bet your inverter was factory installed, the PO on my 34XB just didn't see the need for an inverter I guess. I think it is an option and I really have not had a need for it except my wife likes to charge her phone while traveling, she just has to use the slower to charge 12 volt. I will probably change out my front tv for a 12V model. Good luck.
riverat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:10 PM   #12

Kiawah, this sine wave stuff is way over my head. I did a little looking and found this "Passes sine wave utility or generator power during battery charging and UPS line power operation, plus efficient PWM sine wave AC output in inverter and UPS backup modes." Also found this "LINE POWER (AC): Maintains 120V nominal sine wave output from line power source. INVERTER POWER (AC): Maintains PWM sine wave output voltage of 120 V AC (+/-5%)." on the same website. Below is a link to the website. Maybe you can give me some guidance as to whether or not I'd be safe or not.

http:////www.tripplite.com/1000w-pow...ut~RV1012ULHW/
Old 09-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks again CJ7365. Checked out the bedroom tv outlet and it is labeled "inverter" and is hot when not on shore power. Now to see how long the cpap and humidifier will last on batteries.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:32 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
From one of their Q&A....
Quote:
Yes, we offer Pure Sine Wave Inverters. Visit our Inverters product category and filter for Pure Sine Wave Output. A pure sine wave inverter produces a smooth, sinusoidal AC output with a low level of distortion for better performance. A PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) Wave inverter produces a multi-step AC output that approximates a sinusoidal AC output with a higher level of distortion.
My initial looking at the link you provided, shows that your unit is NOT a PSW. It delivers a PWM output. That could be a problem, depending upon your CPAP machine power needs.

Here's a link which gives an overview of the difference in technologies.:

https://www.altestore.com/blog/2015/...he-difference/

I don't know how critical your cpap machine is to you, when you have to leave, and/or what your other options are. You could run your generator, or maybe you can find a readily available PSW available at an Autozone with enough wattage that would handle your cpap.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro, inverter