Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2019, 02:35 PM   #1

2005 Tiffin open road brake issues

Hello,
I have a 2004 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32 BA. It has a workhorse chassis W22, GVWR 20,700 lbs, 8.1 liter with allison transmission. It has 40,000 mile on it. Last summer while on a long downhill descent, I noticed some noise and slight vibration. Now I am seeing what appears to be oil or brake fluid, I am not sure which. I dont know if the noise and vibration is from the brakes or the leaking brake booster?

2. My auxillary fans run frequently when outside temperatures are above 75 degrees. My temperature gauge rises to 1/2 way after start up and never moves. The coolant in the resevoir does not change from cold to hot. Has anyone had these problems?

If anyone has had these issues, I would like to see your responses.

Thanks!
wslambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wslambert View Post
Hello,
I have a 2004 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32 BA. It has a workhorse chassis W22, GVWR 20,700 lbs, 8.1 liter with allison transmission. It has 40,000 mile on it. Last summer while on a long downhill descent, I noticed some noise and slight vibration. Now I am seeing what appears to be oil or brake fluid, I am not sure which. I dont know if the noise and vibration is from the brakes or the leaking brake booster?
2. My auxillary fans run frequently when outside temperatures are above 75 degrees. My temperature gauge rises to 1/2 way after start up and never moves. The coolant in the resevoir does not change from cold to hot. Has anyone had these problems?
If anyone has had these issues, I would like to see your responses.
Thanks!
1.Where are you seeing the oil/fluid and is it a heavy oil or thin? If it's on the inside of the rear wheel and a heavy oil you probably have a leaking wheel seal. I had to have one of the rear seals replaced on our 2006 Itasca on a Workhorse Chassis. Also, do you know if the brake caliper recall was done on that chassis?

2. That's pretty normal for that engine. Ours would set on the halfway point on the coolant gauge and never move. The radiator fan would kick in and out when needed. The more climbing or the hotter the temperature the more it would run and that sucker was noisy.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:03 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse chassis brakes were subject to several recalls so you should check that out and see if they were performed on your coach.

As to your Aux. fan running - have you ever cleaned out your radiator or had the cooling system flushed?
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:38 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the 2005 workhorse chassis and had a front seal leaking, replaced the seal and new lube no more problem. As for the gauges, I have a Scanguage II and its great. My water temp runs about 196* and when climbing a long hill or mtn my clutch fan kicks on at around 202* the needle guage barely moves if it even does. I also monitor my trans temp and water temp I like seeing real numbers instead of waiting for a needle that may or may not move.
riverat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:02 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Your coolant overflow tank level not fluctuating, might want to replace the radiator cap, and inspect the hose to the overflow tank for kinks/blockages..
Another thing to check.. when engine hasbeen running down the road, does the plastic overflow tank feel warm or not?
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:30 PM   #6

Long downhill decent, were you using the engine braking or the brakes to control speed? You may have overheated the brakes. I agree, run the VIN for the brake recall to see if it was done. Other potential, do you have oil filled hubs? If so, is the level correct?

Not sure if I follow on the coolant level, are you saying that cold and hot are the same level in the tank?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, tiffin