RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2019, 04:24 PM   #1

2005 Tiffin Phaeton 35DH

Hello,

I am currently considering upgrading from my 2006 Jay Feather travel trailer to a Class A diesel pusher.

I looked at 2005 Tiffin Phaeton 35DH motorhome with 2 slide-outs listed for $73,500 this past weekend. Although the unit was in excellent condition the asking price appeared to be too high-it is a private owner. At this point I have not made an offer, just done some research and learned about the "big three" problems. I believe this model year did not have the roof rail problem, but will do a visual inspection on my next visit. I sent an email to the owners yesterday requesting the VIN, so I could contact Tiffin to inquire about work completed under warranty. Tires and batteries are only a few years old.

I know there are long list of things to check on a used diesel pusher, but other than the wet bay and driver's side door are other inspection issues that I should be looking for this model?

Any opinions on the asking price?

Thanks-Rudy

rudydolores is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2019, 08:08 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The Big 3 started in 2009 so you are fine in that respect. I would still inspect the sidewalls for delamination and paint checking (problems that plagued all makes in that era), roof, and look at things like the wet bay floor. Get maintenance records for the engine, transmission, etc.

The price is too high, BTW. See if you can find out what the owner originally paid for the unit and then depreciate it at 7% the first year, and 5% for the next five years or so, and then 2-3% a year for the remainder. I think you will find the value more in the $10-20,000 range.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:54 AM   #3

2005 Tiffin Phaeton 35DH

Tiffin will not give you any info. re., any repairs done, even with the VIN, unless you are the owner and on title as owner through Tiffin. I know that from experience from buying our 2015. Good Luck!
julie pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:53 PM   #4

Thanks Julie for letting me know Tiffin will not give me any information as the owner just emailed me the VIN number and I was going to make the inquiry at my lunch beak.

Also, on my initial inspection the door to the generator would not release and open and the generator would not turnover(dead battery?)The owner stated he was taking RV to the local RV dealer to have it fixed for my next inspection. On the previous email when I requested the VIN I also mentioned the "big three" problems. His last mail indicated he would request the RV shop look into those three items when fixing the generator door and starting problem. As luvlabs posted those problems occurred 2009 and sometimes after, but it will be looked at anyways.

I know the RV dealership well as that is where I purchase my JayFeather and have had work completed there. I would not hesitate to contact them after the repair/inspection is completed as they have been very fair and reasonable with my past repairs.

I know diesel motors are rated to go 500,000 miles or more. This one has 77,500 miles on it. I am assuming nothing to worry about if required maintenance has been completed??

One more thing-NADA value was $55,000 in average condition.

Rudy
rudydolores is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phaeton, tiffin