RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #1

2006 Allegro Bus 40QSP - Questions: Weight; EMS

Looking at a 2006 Bus QSP that is in good shape. I've owned two prior gasser motor homes (still have a 2008 Georgetown) so was moving up to a DP even though a couple of years older. For those that own or owned this model, is there any issues around weight on the front or back? I've read where other brands and models can be at the max limit on the front (#12k) with only a full tank of fuel... is this something that one should be concerned about on this Bus? The cooling unit on the fridge has been replaced within the last coupe of years so do I still need to be concerned about the recall?

Thanks to this forum I've learned about the wrist pin issues on the 400ISL Cummins, so will check to see if this motor fell into that range. Unfortunately, didn't get this information when I was at the MH so will call the owner to get the additional information.

This unit does not have EMS (Energy Mgmt System to shed electrical items when on 30amp), is that something that is needed or just a nice to have? I've read where other coaches have this option.

All batteries are 1.5 years old, and rear tires 5 years and front 6 years old. So understand front will be timed out in a year and the back the following year.

All TVs changed out to LCDs (front, rear, and outside) and 40k miles. Good service records. Anything else I need to be concerned with on this coach?

Thanks for any insight or experiences you may have ...

Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One good thing about Tiffin, is their still in business and doing very well. They are easy to talk to and get information from.

In the Tiffin world the "Big Three" refers to three issues Tiffin had for 4-5 years. Wet bay floors, roof rail cracks and leak in driver side slide out. They are repairing these items FREE even after normal warranty expires at their Alabama location. With any MH you're going to have issues. We purchased a '05 Phaeton 6 yrs. ago and thoroughly enjoy it. It did need some maintenance and repairs, but the price was right. The Bus is a beautiful MH with a Cummins 400hp. coupled to an Allison 3000 trans. Lots of people are very happy with that combination.

If the price is right I would not hesitate to purchase the Bus.

Good luck

Old 03-26-2016, 05:48 PM   #3

Thanks rver. I did validate that the 400 ISL does not fall into the wrist pin issue. Also validated that the wet bay has been redone ( at Red Bay). Was unaware of the roof rail cracks ... Is there a way to see if this coach may have this problem other than asking? Thanks again, looks like I now just need to work on price.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can call Tiffin at (256) 356-8661 and talk to their service dept. to see if they have records of the Bus. They will probably need the VIN #.

Good luck
Old 03-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #5

06 roof rails are aluminum not fiberglass so no concern there !
The Tiffin fix for fiberglass roof radiuss rails that cracked is to replace with aluminum as was the original design.
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #6

Thanks rver for the Tiffin number. Did get the VIN and unfortunately Tiffin closed for the day 15 minutes before I called. I'll call them tomorrow. We did come to an agreement on the price, so if Tiffin doesn't tell me something I don't already know, guess it's a done deal. I will now own 2 MHs and will work at selling my current one this summer ... wife thinks I'm nuts!!
Old 03-30-2016, 07:02 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehghcty View Post
Thanks rver for the Tiffin number. Did get the VIN and unfortunately Tiffin closed for the day 15 minutes before I called. I'll call them tomorrow. We did come to an agreement on the price, so if Tiffin doesn't tell me something I don't already know, guess it's a done deal. I will now own 2 MHs and will work at selling my current one this summer ... wife thinks I'm nuts!!
We're all a little nuts!
Old 04-04-2016, 07:26 PM   #8

FYI we purchased a used 2005 Bus 40 QDP a couple years ago and couldn't be happier. Going full time in a few months.

Good Luck
Old 04-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #9

Sounds about like the same bus. We only go out 4 to 6 months a year. Haven't considered full time. Just basically travel south for the winter. Stay in a place for a couple of weeks, visit the local sites/ museums, then move on. My only concern now that I've bought the coach is the height. Looking at the 2006 brochure it says 12' 7" to top of A/Cs and minimum garage door height as 13'. My garage door is exactly 13'. The coach has the old in motion king dome on it and appears to be a couple of inches higher. I will eventually be taking off the dome and putting on a winegard trav'ler so hopefully even with the king dome on it will still fit in the garage. Do you know if yr coach is under 13'?

What other mods have u done or was previously done to yr coach?

Is there any concern on overloading the front or rear axles?

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:56 PM   #10

Quote:

Is there any concern on overloading the front or rear axles?
If this is your final issue, you could offer to pay the existing owner to take the coach to the closest CAT scales to be weighed. You could pay them for the their time and effort and get all or some of that payment back if you purchase the coach.
ekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:07 PM   #11

Not to sidetrack the excitement, but tires 5 & 6 years of age should be carefully inspected by a professional.

There really isn't an expiration date on tires, but obviously the older tires require more close attention.

Our tires look perfect, and will likely be replaced this year..

..at 5 years of age.

-Matt
Matt D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:27 PM   #12

Thanks all. I had already figured in to the purchase price new tires. Front this year and rear next year is my plan. I'll take possession next month. Will be only about 150 miles from Red Bay, AL, so plan to go by there and have some mods done. Will also have all the fluids ( coolant/all oil to include generator) and filters so starting fresh. Estimate from a shop there was between $1.5 an 1.7k. Does that sound about right?
Old 04-09-2016, 09:23 AM   #13

Another question ... high jacking my own thread! Concerning tires. I looked at another 2006 Allegro Bus that had 295 vs the original 275/80/22.5 tires on it. The owner of that bus said he's never had a problem running the bigger tires. As I put new tires on the bus we purchasing, is there and advantage to the bigger tires? Perhaps I should start a new thread with this question?
Old 04-09-2016, 11:38 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Another question ... high jacking my own thread! Concerning tires. I looked at another 2006 Allegro Bus that had 295 vs the original 275/80/22.5 tires on it. The owner of that bus said he's never had a problem running the bigger tires. As I put new tires on the bus we purchasing, is there and advantage to the bigger tires? Perhaps I should start a new thread with this question?
The tire sizes are the same diameter. It appears the 275's are being phased out. I purchased Yokohama 295x75x22.5 16 ply to replace my GY's. I couldn't be more happier. No clearance issues at all.

Good luck

Tags
ems, weight