RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #1

2007 Phaeton help

We have a chance to get a 07 phantom 40 qsh wondering if any roof problem an how bad is rear radiator,,,

klinerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are a couple recent threads regarding side vs. rear radiator, suggest to use the search feature to find the threads.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:02 AM   #3

The 07's had a potential roof rail issue but Tiffin has been known to repair them at no cost. You may want to make sure they would do that for a second owner. But I bet they would.
We had ours checked a few months back and had no problem with ours.
And yep,, lots of views on the rear radiator. We obviously have one and have had no issues. I'm sure the cleaner air and the ease of getting to the engine for repairs are very valid points towards a side radiator. And if you wanted to put a motorcycle or even bikes on a lift on the year I'm sure I would feel better about the air flow on a side radiator but we don't so I enjoy the little extra storage I get by having a rear one.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
The 07's had a potential roof rail issue but Tiffin has been known to repair them at no cost. You may want to make sure they would do that for a second owner. But I bet they would. We had ours checked a few months back and had no problem with ours. And yep,, lots of views on the rear radiator. We obviously have one and have had no issues. I'm sure the cleaner air and the ease of getting to the engine for repairs are very valid points towards a side radiator. And if you wanted to put a motorcycle or even bikes on a lift on the year I'm sure I would feel better about the air flow on a side radiator but we don't so I enjoy the little extra storage I get by having a rear one.
i don't know what a roof rail issue is. I have an 07 phaeton. Can you explain?
Bignote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignote View Post
i don't know what a roof rail issue is. I have an 07 phaeton. Can you explain?
If the roof looks like this photo Tiffin has been replacing the fiberglass corners with aluminum. The 2007 you have may already been upgraded.

okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
paz

To expand on what okgc posted, if the roof is one piece all the way around the radii at the edges, it is original and subject to cracking. If there are extra seams along the edge radii as shown in the photo below, then the corrective repairs have already been done. The edge radii of the fiberglass roof have been replaced by aluminum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint Project_0045.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	51829
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #7

When I was looking for a Tiffin I joined this forum and asked a lot of questions
A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Login
Came up with roof rails, wet bay problems, front driverside slide leak.
Most may be fixed by Tiffin, and Bob Tiffin is great but you may need to make a trip to Red Bay.
Just me but I would not have a rear radiator. The side radiator is great, it took me about 1 min to change the serpentine belt plus you can see the motor just something to think about.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
For the Wet Bay issue, just look under the coach in front of the rear wheels to see if there's a sag in the floor.

Tiffin is generally good about fixing these issues even out of warranty (although we have 03 Phaeton with the wet bay issue and Tiffin will not replace it at their cost (they only pay to fix 04s and up). They told me it's 10 hours of labour + parts to have it done (plus the trip to RedBay, which I'm no where near, so I'm looking for someone local to do it). Also some might argue that they're not really even that generous; they are doing free repairs on a manufacturing defect but, as far as I know, didn't even issue a recall or notify owners that there's a problem - they only fix it when an owner notices it and complains about it.

As far as the rear rad, it's a personal choice. There's no doubt that service is easier with a side rad but side rad is typically more expensive (i.e. it might have changed over the years but I think all Allegro Buses & Zephyrs have side rad, Phaetons & Allegro RED have rear rad) also you do lose some storage with the side rad and it's a more complex system. Personally, I don't see it as a must have and there are tons of rear rad coaches.

michelb is offline   Reply With Quote