RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
2008 allegro roof

we are buying a 2008 allego, and i am trying to understand the fiberglass roof construction. my experience is with rubber roof. i seem to have a thin membreme that "floats" above the roof core. can anyone enlighten me? it does not look like a fiberglass roof. HELP.

mjoemort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can't answer your question but I can say that my '03 Allegro was advertised as having a fiberglass roof. It might, but it also has a rubber membrane over it.

RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rubber or fiberglass?

If your applied downward fingernail pressure leaves an impression on the surface, it's rubber. If surface is firm and unyielding, it's fiberglass. You cannot determine via a floating membrane sensation as both types are "Laid" -on coverings; fully adhered to a formed substrate surface below. Dust & grime will appear similar on both; but neglected /untreated fiberglass will develop an off-white chalk-like powder residue.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
fiberglass roof

62 morgan...i do not think you know what you are talking about... i have spoke with
tiffin and the service manager where it was purchased new, i am looking to clarify their info because i do not understand. i do have an engineering background. this thing does not look and feel like fiberglass. there may be more to it. i amtrying to be open minded. i wish someone would go on their roof and desribe what they have. this is a tiffin group. they are all supposed to be glass in recent years.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:27 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your post prompted me to ask Tiffin how my roof was constucted. I know I have rubber but wasn't sure what was under the rubber. Tiffin's response was that Fiberglass was an option on the '03 model. Rubber was the standard roof at the time. I'm certain that if you call them back with the VIN they can tell you what you want to know.
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Roof Material

I certainly think you have fiberglass. But the fingernail test is an old standard rule-of thumb, esp. since not knowing your background. You should not retort at well-intentioned advice. I have no agenda. Simply offering helpful advice where few had replied to your inquiry.

Tiffin lowers the sheet roof down onto an adhesive-streaked formed shell. It's not vacuumed-pressed into place like the sidewall construction. I believe the luan layer is also similarly done.

Vin-confirmation will be your best option; confirming that Fiberglas is the 2008 Tiffin standard. Where some owners have experienced some water intrusion ..you might find remedial work done.An adhered EPDM membrane "over" the factory-installed roofing for additional peace-of-mind. Odds are against it on a recent 2008 model; but it warrants mentioning.

Some [half-dozen]] fiberglass roof owners have reported problems such as bubbles and promenant un-adhered areas . This also might well be explained as per your description. Factory weather conditions at the time of manufacture do vary considerably. Glue setup time and curing is always temp and humidity tolerant within a specified range. My own coach had been caulked on a bad air day resulting in graphite black specks throughout my exterior caulked seams. I take it in stride & consider it one of the nuances of fabrication.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:18 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
thanks for all your help... i spoke with the factory and a tiffin service manager... provided them with the vin, sent some pics... it is fiberglass and checks out ok.... a case of my not being familar with this type of roof....i thick i will like it vs. rubber....again thanks to all...