Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2016, 10:31 PM   #1

2008 Tiffin ISB FRED

Hi y'all,

My sweet wife and I are looking at a 2008 Tiffin 37QDB with a Cummins ISB Front Engine Diesel with 17,000 miles. I seems to be in good shape though we'd hire an inspection before buying. What are some thoughts on FREDs and thoughts on Cummins ISB?

Thank you so much
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 05:36 AM   #2

If you want a diesel, should be a good buy with low mileage. Like anything used if the price is right go for it. I've never ridden in a Fred, but shouldn't be any louder than a V10 after it gets up to hwy speed. Drive it and see how you like it. Dave
Old 04-24-2016, 05:39 AM   #3

Since we don't own a front end diesel I don't know if this will be helpful but while looking for our current RV I did some redearch and have had an ISB in the past. I liked the ISB Cummins engine. Like the gas models there will be more noise in the front and the hump to get over. I would go for the floor plan as a priority.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:46 AM   #4

The price for the one we're looking at is $70K. Seems like a fair price and the coach seems in good shape. Yes, it has some blemishes and other issues.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I like the ISB. Good engine that provides good service and fuel economy. The Freightliner FRED is a good chassis, IMO. A FRED is a good in between configuration (gas coach vs DP).
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:00 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have some friends with a FRED & they love it. They are full timers and travel from New England to Florida & other points every year. To my knowledge they have had no problems other than a couple of recalls on the brake system. The ISB's are almost bullet proof.

burfurd
Old 05-23-2016, 06:33 PM   #7

2007 FRED forcsale

We have a 2007 Allegro Bay for sale. We bought the coach new in March 2006. It is a 35TSB for those who are looking at models. It has approx. 70,000 miles, but only about 20,000 on the tires. Email me via this forum for price and any other info.
ladytj1754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:29 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
No air suspension or air brakes. Won't pay much over a gasser price for FRED today.
If I was wanting a front diesel, I'd be looking at Super C's. jus sayn
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:41 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We purchased a 2007 Allegro Bay QDB in January 2015. It is a FRED and had 29,000 miles. We LOVE it! We have a TowMaster and tow a 2010 Kia Forte. We only get 7 1/2 mpg BECAUSE we are towing through the mountains of WV to Florida with the generator running so grandkids can watch TV and run the AC units. We have no clue what the MPG is without all that extra stuff. Now as far as the FRED goes, my husband loves it because handles well on the road, the power is adequate. We can handle the mountains with ease and blow gas models off the road but a pusher will still beat us up the hill. Maintenance wise, we can change the oil and filters ourselves, about the same as a diesel pick up with the exception of the air filter which is much bigger and more expensive. I actually had to crawl behind the front passenger wheel to help him change that big ass filter. We love our QDB floor plan with the hallway on the drivers side of the coach that gives privacy to the bedroom. We have put about 5000 miles on it since we bought it.

No matter where you go, there you are.- Buckaroo Bonsai -RV Forum
Old 05-26-2016, 10:47 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Me again, I forgot about the "noise". Not much louder than our1995 Allegro Bay gas engine was. The dog box was noisy and hot in the '95. Also, we are the third owner and the second owner somehow insulated the firewall to quiet it down. I don't see where the noise of the FRED is an issue.

No matter where you go, there you are.- Buckaroo Bonsai -RV Forum
Old 05-28-2016, 12:40 AM   #11

I have an 09 Allegro 38tgb. With the Fred. Love it and front floor is flat due to raised chassis. Noise no issue 18000 miles
garebare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin