Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2015, 07:37 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2009 Allegro Bus 40QXP - Info

I am helping a friend purchase their first motorhome. We found a 2009 Allegro Bus 40QXP in Fort Myers that appears to be in very good condition. All of the filters had date codes on them, and we are told that maintenance records will be available to review Monday. I also noticed that the prior owner installed the centramatic wheel balancers, so it appears to be someone that took pride in the coach.

I am looking for any information on this model year that I need to have checked prior to delivery. I intend to get the 4 corner weights to verify that this was not an overweight coach. What else am I missing?

If you happen to be the prior owner of this coach, please PM me, I would love to get more details.

Thanks!
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2015, 10:13 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The following is a reply I posted in a thread regarding Phaetons and would apply to the Buses of the same vintage:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Other than all the things one should check out on any used coach, there are three potential problems with 2007 to 2011 Tiffin coaches you should be aware of.

1. Roof radius cracks - Starting in 2007 Tiffin began installing one piece roofs with a radius to match up with the side wall. There have been numerous problems with those radius sections developing cracks. You need to visually check those portions of the roof, particularly the DS. There is a fix for this problem, but you need to verify that it has been done as it is could be out of warranty.

2. Rotting wet bay floor - Tiffin was using a partially coated particle board material for the wet bay floors. Over time water can find its way into the particle board, and the rotting begins. Again, there is a fix, but you need to verify that it has been done as it is also could be out of warranty.

3. DS front slide floor rotting - This one isn't as common as the other two, but is something to look for. With the slide out look at the leading edge of the floor at the outside of the front slide. If there is any opening water can wick its way into the floor, eventually rotting it out. If this condition exists it can also be repaired but depending on your location it will likely involve a trip to Red Bay where they completely remove the slide from the coach. There are two locations that I know of, one on the west coast and one in the northeast, that can replace the floor without removing the slide.
If you can get the VIN number of the coach, call Don Boyd at Tiffin, 256-356-0261 Ext 3290, and he should be able to tell you if any or all of the above items have been repaired.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:36 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have pictures of the water bay and roof. It appears fine to me but I have not seen a bad one.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1448818464.864472.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	112969
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1448818499.447389.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	112970Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1448818551.389276.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	112971Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1448818568.982282.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	112972
Old 11-29-2015, 11:17 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can see rivets on the edges of the roof, particularly on the DS, so that would indicate to me that the roof rail issue has been addressed. You can verify this by tapping on the radius portion. If it sounds like aluminum then it has been fixed.

Regarding the wet bay. You need to crawl under the coach behind the wet bay plastic pan, and using a screw driver poke the floor. If it's soft it is rotting. If it's solid that means one of two things. It has been repaired, which Don Boyd could verify, or it's the original floor that hasn't rotted. This is a very common problem, so if it hasn't been done, IMO it's only a matter of time. Due to the year of this coach I don't believe Tiffin is covering the repair any longer (I believe it was six years).

Regarding the front slide. You need to extend the slide and look at the leading edge of the floor. If there is any opening similar to the attached photo then there could be a problem as this would be an entry point for water.

One other item I failed to mention is possible thermal fatigue cracking of the sidewalls. In the build year of 2008 Tiffin was getting their fiberglass from Owens Corning and they received some bad panels. The cracks start off as very fine line cracks that will appear like narrow white lines. They start at the top part of the sidewalls, particularly the large wall between the front and rear slides. In the beginning they are very hard to see from the ground so you should use a ladder to get a close look.

These cracks are caused by out gassing of the fiberglass and once they start will only continue to get worse, and the only fix is to remove and replace the sidewalls.

I was one of the unlucky ones to experience this on my coach and took the coach to Red Bay and had the walls removed and replaced. Tiffin covered the work under warranty, but that warranty period has now expired.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Driver's Slide 1C.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	112975  
Old 11-29-2015, 11:26 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you so much for the detailed response. This will be very useful tomorrow morning when we go look at the coach again.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:23 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I see from one of the pictures of the roof that a Traveler Satelite dish has been removed...
garykk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:51 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I saw that, but the deal sheet we have signed says it is included. That will be on the list to discuss tomorrow.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1448826620.514297.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	112984
They left the interior control, so in guess it is possible that it was inoperable and sent for repair.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
The 40QXP is an excellent choice, great floorpan. I would check out Lazydays as well for Tiffins while you are in the neighborhood.
TiffinRVNetwork Classified Ads - Home Page Good source of FSBO.

http://www.tiffinmotorhomes.com/pdfs...usBrochure.pdf
http://www.tiffinmotorhomes.com/pdfs...roBusSpecs.pdf

Agree with all BobGed said.

Some roof rail repairs have subsequently failed. Look for adequate sealant along seam and over rivets, cracks appearing on old roof near seam, and bubbling of old roof. Roof is glued down minimally, and sometimes bubbling appears.

Wet bay floor replacements were initially done with plywood which can again fail. Currently all floors are replaced with plastic.

DS slide, examine exterior on front panel for complete sealing with silicone(or other sealant). Back out screws on aluminum angle at base of front panel of slide, any rust on screws indicates water intrusion.

Correcting any of these 'Big 3' will require a trip to Red Bay, not done at local dealers. Although this coach probably beyond the free warranty period for the 'Big 3', the cost to correct even all three of these at Red Bay is minimal(maybe $1000 total). While in Red Bay outside vendors and service techs can provide for any and all needs promptly and at very reasonable prices... paint and body, engine and chassis, electrical, interior, audio/video. A trip to Red Bay is a 'right of passage' for new Tiffin owners. The downside is to expect a 3-4 week stay in Red Bay(factory service is first come, first served).

Also check the fan gearbox(mechanically driven) for leaks, an indicator for replacement(not rebuild). This is a common problem because it requires 24 month service(never done), and it's a $2000 repair. Easiest to view thru the bedroom access, but possibly viewable from engine compartment.

No other unique problems with Allegro Bus coaches. Check the wear/service items typical of any 7 year old coach... new tires, new batteries, fluids and filters, belts and hoses, awnings and slide toppers, slide seals, all appliances.

You probably won't find 4-corner weights available, but a trip to a CAT scales is easy. This model is not known for overweight issues. Note specs(above), this coach was available on any of 3 different chassis, Spartan, Freightliner, or Powerglide. Any are very good choices, but note Powerglide drive axle rated at 22k, while others are 20k. I liked my SOB on Freightliner because of the excellent service at Gaffney. Powerglide is Tiffin's product, and cannot be serviced by Freightliner. All have the Cummins 8.9L 425hp EPA 2007, no DEF, and Allsion 3000.

Check TRVN forum to reach a much larger audience, and answer virtually all Tiffin questions.

Happy hunting.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I saw that, but the deal sheet we have signed says it is included. That will be on the list to discuss tomorrow.
Attachment 112984
They left the interior control, so in guess it is possible that it was inoperable and sent for repair.
Agree the previous owner removed the Trav'ler. Not dealer removed, as they would(should) have left the metal base in place for repair. That's a KingDome control in pic. It's around $2500 for a new Trav'ler installed at dealer.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:11 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
Correcting any of these 'Big 3' will require a trip to Red Bay, not done at local dealers.
Great post, Kent, but I'm going to respectfully disagree with the above statement.

There are authorized Tiffin service locations, particularly on the west coast, that can handle the roof rail and wet bay floor repairs. These are usually not dealers but independent RV repair facilities, for example East Valley RV, Apache Junction, AZ; Coach Masters, Bend, OR, Affordable RV, Newcastle, CA and Connecticut Motor Cars & Coaches, Plainville, CT. I'm sure there are other locations as well that I'm not familiar with.

Affordable and Connecticut Motors can even do the DS slide floor replacement. They both have figured out a way to do it without completely removing the slide from the coach as they do in Red Bay. It takes longer but sure beats driving all the way to Red Bay from the west coast or the northeast.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:14 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
True BobGed everything you say,

I didn't mention east or west coast since the m/h(and presumably the owner) is in FL and Red Bay would be the closest, the best source for whatever repairs need done, and the least expensive as the m/h is likely out of warranty. I see too many posts where newbie/naive owners take their Tiffin to some local dealer and they end up disappointed/angry because the locals can't do the job, overcharge compared to Red Bay, and/or botch the job. Thanks for the comments.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
True BobGed everything you say,

I didn't mention east or west coast since the m/h(and presumably the owner) is in FL and Red Bay would be the closest, the best source for whatever repairs need done, and the least expensive as the m/h is likely out of warranty. I see too many posts where newbie/naive owners take their Tiffin to some local dealer and they end up disappointed/angry because the locals can't do the job, overcharge compared to Red Bay, and/or botch the job. Thanks for the comments.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you for the helpful posts. This morning we inspected the coach and it appears as all of the potential problems are not an issue. It is amazing how well maintained the coach appears to be. The only problem area is the slide topper material is deteriorating and will need to be replaced. The main awning too is showing wear, and is stretched a bit too much. Overall the coach ended up being the perfect fit for my friends, and they put the deposit on it today. Later next week they will do the pdi and drive it home to Texas. Hopefully I can get them to join this wonderful group on IRV2, and the tiffin network.

Thanks again!
Old 12-01-2015, 03:00 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Red, you appear to be a good friend. Check the date codes on the tires. A coach of that age the tires should have been changed (aged out) or need to changed. That's probably a $4,000+ item. How many hours on the generator and when was it last serviced. The minim hours showing on the generator should be no less that 168 (2 hours a month for 7 years). What is the mileage on the coach. The average is 7,500 miles a year. If only driven 5,000 mile a year it should show 35,000 miles. I would be more leary of a low mileage coach than a high mileage coach. If your friends are coming through Pensacola I recommend the KOA Milton as a stopover. They have nice long pull throughs with no need to disconnect if they are towing. If they do decide to stop in Milton, or another location in the Pensacola area, they may call me and I'll pick them and an take them to dinner so they won't have to cook or figure out where to eat. PM me for the phone number. Actually, it's on the picture in my signature but you eyes are going to have to be a lot better than mine to read it. If nothing else happens, Merry Christmas!.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote